FAA Shot Down Again, Legal To Fly Boys!

One nuance that I just saw was that this case was not decided on its merits. What was decided was that the lower level offices that were sending out these letters of intimidation had not authority to do so. Only the Office of the General Counsel can do that. Now the question is will that office really take the time to send these out or not, and if they do THEN a case can be brought about the merits of their authority to do so since no laws exists to support such an action.

Here's the link to the order: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt. ... 1405743731

Yeah, I noticed that in the content of the ruling on the Vice link. More of a technicality than anything else. But it still the 2nd rebuke.

See anything wrong with the first sentence of that press release:

The court’s decision in favor of the FAA regarding the Texas Equusearch matter has no bearing on the FAA's authority to regulate UAS.

ianwood said:
See anything wrong with the first sentence of that press release:

The court’s decision in favor of the FAA regarding the Texas Equusearch matter has no bearing on the FAA's authority to regulate UAS.

I think they are trying to pull the wool over people's eyes. They lost the case but want to make it like they have win it to fool people into compliance with their ill conceived rules.

macheung said:
I think they are trying to pull the wool over people's eyes. They lost the case but want to make it like they have win it to fool people into compliance with their ill conceived rules.

I think the FAA just hired Baghdad Bob to write their press releases.

http://youtu.be/yfAeMtcURg0

The only difference is that we have the choice to act responsibly and completely ignore what the FAA says people can and can't do with these things. There was a really good segment in day 2 of CreativeLive's "Taking Flight: Drone Photography & Video with Jeff Foster" production earlier this week with Peter Sachs that covered some of this. His opinion was essentially that the FAA doesn't have the authority to enforce what they say they can... Of course, he also urged people to use common sense when flying them as well.

In another thread one poster suggested that we organize to have a "drone flight day" or something similar across the country, where we all fly in a manner that's safe and legal, and yet somewhat annoying to the FAA. I really like it. In fact, I'd suggest that one of the locations be in Leesburg, VA near one of the easily accessible FAA buildings just outside of the town. At times, there's nothing quite like civil disobedience... :)

Can anyone please cite (or point us to the citation) the regulations regarding flight of UAVs? Such as the 400' altitude restriction; no lower than XXX' over private property; no lower than XXX' over crowds/people; not over private property; etc.??

Actual regulations (or absence thereof) would be good to know, and good to be able to cite when/if local law enforcement try to shut you down. It would be nice, in a kind and gentle way, to tell them they have no authority to restrict your flying unless they can produce a local ordinance or statute to that effect. (we just had that happen in Seattle when an operator flew next to the Space Needle and the police told him he could keep his quad if he promised to not fly it again in the city (he was on vacation...and yes, he was flying above private property (space needle is privately owned) and yes he was above 400' in order to film what he filmed...so he was wrong, but I don't think he could be legally prohibited from flying again).

Thanks in advance - it's good to be armed with legitimate information ahead of time (and to fly responsibly anyway...not poke the bear).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr