FAA section 333 exemption

Reaction score
I just got wind of this FAA exemption petition for commercial use of UAVs. Has anyone gone through this paperwork yet?...and if so - anyone out there gotten an exemption? I seriously want to get legit with the FAA, and put my Phantoms to work.

I'd suggest you check out the exemptions they have authorized. I'm just now looking over them myself. Here are some of the requirements outlined in the exemption for Astraeus Aerial:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_pro ... -11062.pdf

a. The PIC must possess a Private Pilot’s Certificate and a valid third-class
medical certificate;
b. The PIC must have accumulated and logged a minimum of 200 flight cycles
and 25 hours of total time as a UAS rotorcraft pilot and at least 10 hours
logged as a UAS pilot with a similar UAS type (single blade or multirotor).
c. The PIC must have accumulated and logged a minimum of five hours as UAS
pilot with the make and model of UAS to be utilized for operations under the
exemption and three take-offs and landings in the preceding 90 days.
d. The PIC must have successfully completed the qualification process as
specified in the MPTOM and FOPM, to include a knowledge and skill test.

There are an additional 6 pages (23-29) of conditions and limitations. Some of the major ones are about the size and speed the aircraft has to follow, using an observer at all times, being in VLOS at all times, 30 minute max flight time or 25% battery life, must have an Air Traffic Organization COA prior to operations, no night time operations, cannot be operated from a moving vehicle, and a whole bunch of paperwork.

It's likely anybody with a phantom won't have the ability to follow even a couple of these let alone all of them.

Here's some more information on the exemption process:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_pro ... _petition/

Derrick from Charleston....I'm Joey (mrfun) from Florence. Any chance you know Casey from that area? (flies kit builds and hates phantoms)

Same here ... I thought I was it. We need to get together sometime and swap stories.

I'm a licensed pilot and I'm a little confused.

All the regs mentioned here refer to man-rated aircraft. Indeed, Part 91 are the regs by which small and large man-rated aircraft are operated.

Some of the requirements (>400 feet) are in direct contradiction to part 91, which requires pilots to fly above 1000feet when in areas where people are present. Also, there are no "type ratings" for our vehicles.

I also am a delegated certification engineer for the FAA and I can tell you by reading the chapter posted that the FAA does
NOT KNOW how to deal with "drones". This will change in the future as they acquire more knowledge. Whether it's for better or worse remained to be seen. I will tell you that the FAA is traditionally very wary of "new and novel" technologies, just look at what you need to do with Lithium Ion Batteries when you travel.

Fly safe

WW

This is very interesting. I haven't flown in 20 years but I am a licensed pilot. Seems like I'd just have to get a current medical and log some flight time.

-Norris

I read somewhere on FAA's section 333 page that you need a current medical OR a current drivers license..... which would show that you could atlas walk into the DMV and pass an eye exam. I had lost my old private license decades ago. I sent a letter to the FAA, with $2, and a couple of weeks later, I got a brand new one. I was still on record. I had always heard that the license is good for life. of course, I can't take anyone up unless I log some time, and no one would rent me an aircraft. But I am still licensed, 40 years after last using it.

Applied for exemption on June 26th and received on October 1 so less than 120 days. PIC must hold an airman's certificate, license, with a current medical or valid drivers license. Certificate rating must be current. So if you have not flown for awhile you will need to find a flight instructor to get current with your rating.

As stated above you have to be "current" in your rating not just "have the ticket". Ironically in order to "Get current" for your check ride (BFR) you'll have to get your 3rd class medical up to date too. So if you have your PPL you'll also need a 3rd class medical as the state issued DL won't suffice for your medial requirements in terms of PPL.

As stated above you have to be "current" in your rating not just "have the ticket". Ironically in order to "Get current" for your check ride (BFR) you'll have to get your 3rd class medical up to date too. So if you have your PPL you'll also need a 3rd class medical as the state issued DL won't suffice for your medial requirements in terms of PPL.

Not quite so. If you are a private pilot or above and have never been denied in your medical, you can step down to the Sport Pilot License and would not need a third class medical, you only need your driver's license. If you are a Sport Pilot of course you know that you do not need a medical, only your drivers license.
@lutece7 you need to get a BFR to be current and show the instructor your driver's license.

PS: You need to have a valid airman certificate to apply for the 333 Exemption. It does not need to be current, you need to be current to fly your drone.

You got a different reading than what I got from FSDO here but that's not unusual lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PS: You need to have a valid airman certificate to apply for the 333 Exemption. It does not need to be current, you need to be current to fly your drone.

The first part of that is not true. Many companies and individuals have "applied" and been approved with no airman certificate. The AC is only required when Commercial UAS/UAV operations are performed under the veil of the 333 Exemption. Several companies are "supposedly" hiring that task out but I tend to question the legitimacy of that actually happening.

The first part of that is not true. Many companies and individuals have "applied" and been approved with no airman certificate. The AC is only required when Commercial UAS/UAV operations are performed under the veil of the 333 Exemption. Several companies are "supposedly" hiring that task out but I tend to question the legitimacy of that actually happening.

Correct!

Next summer 2016 FAA will be making new laws. As it stands now to commercially operate your drone you need a pilot license and a 333 exemptions. This will all change soon. I spoke to the FAA yesterday 2/4/2016

It will go to FAA 107....UAV will be 55 lbs or lower.....333's will porably be grandfathered in with good strong flight data to prove you are flying :)....just guessing on this :)

Next summer 2016 FAA will be making new laws. As it stands now to commercially operate your drone you need a pilot license and a 333 exemptions. This will all change soon. I spoke to the FAA yesterday 2/4/2016

Ugh, so now they say summer?.... they were talking Spring just a couple months ago... :mad:

Sorry I'm still a noob,

But do you guys think these "new rules" will go into effect this year 2016? And also what will be the guidelines to get your uav operator License?
Thanks

Ugh, so now they say summer?.... they were talking Spring just a couple months ago... :mad:

LOL you get use to missed deadlines and false hopes with the FAA. In regards to UAS they have yet to even come close to meeting a deadline. Anytime in 2016 would be a miracle and I honestly wouldn't hold my breath until 2017.
Sorry I'm still a noob,

But do you guys think these "new rules" will go into effect this year 2016? And also what will be the guidelines to get your uav operator License?
Thanks

See above. It is a wild guess as to when things will actually go into place. When dealing with politics it only takes one misstep and the whole section gets canned.

You guys are missing the mark here as the FAA "rulemaking" will soon be obsolete for the Phantom category... a new micro UAS category defined in the pending 2016 FAA re-authorization legislation exempts all UAS under 4.4 lbs from commercial licensing requirements. This legislation has to be passed by the end of March 2016 because 2015's re-authorization bill was only a 6 month extension signed at the end of September 2015. As long as the amendment doesn't get stripped from the re-authorization legislation we will all be able to fly commercially within the stated guidelines upon it's signage into law (stay under 400 ft, notify airports within 5 miles, no night flying). FAA commercial flight rules & regs will only apply to the 4.4+ lb aircraft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers