FAA Rules On Drones - Your Opinions

Reaction score
I was a little surprised reading this. Jeff Foster says the FAA can make suggestions but no enforcement. Also, what constitutes an airport? Does that include tiny air strips with no tower and no personnel on duty? Also, I have seen anywhere from 300' to 500' for elevation limits. I want to follow the rules, but which ones? This stuff needs to be clarified better in my opinion.

Pro Video Coalition - KEEP CALM: The FAA and sUAVs/Drone Rules (Final UPDATE)

It should just be about common sense. I do find it absolutely ridiculous in the fact that you can fly whatever model you want to (within safety guidelines), but if you accept one penny flying the same aircraft with the same safety concerns you need a PILOTS license, and jump through hoops to get an exemption. Its not like youre carrying passengers on your Phantom, or carrying mail from San Francisco to New York.

I think if you are going to fly for profit (regardless of sum of money), you should be required to take a flying exam, nothing more, nothing less. Just like having to go to the DMV to take a drivers test in order to get a drivers license to drive a car. The typical 16 year old, when ready to drive, does not have to hire a lawyer in order to file the paper work to the DMV and is not required to pass a Class B drivers license. And drivers/automobiles cause more deaths in the US than drones/

The FAA asks us to use common sense when flying, yet when they think up of regulations, common sense goes out the window.

Just got done doing a whole bunch more reading and looking at the air traffic maps and the controlled space on that. According to the flight map data, the nearest controlled tower airport is 50 miles from me. It has the 5 Mile blue circle around it and is class D. I will still use common sense near any area I fly in, but like you said, our common sense may not be what they think of as common sense. They don't get paid to think.

Read AC 91-57A.

Bottom line is, if you endanger the safety of NAS, public law gives them the right to pursue enforcement action against you.

Reactions: QuadBart
I was a little surprised reading this. Jeff Foster says the FAA can make suggestions but no enforcement.

That is not what he states. He states they can make regulations but not laws. They can't make a law like Congress does but a regulation has the exact same affect. They can also enforce these regulations and have done so.

Reactions: Sagebrush
I have no problem with the regulations because there has to be something in effect to make people responsible for their actions. If we didn't have them, those who have no regard for authority or law would be flying these things anywhere they wanted and there would be a lot more incidents than we have now. I just hope now that we have these drones out there that can fly miles away and can be purchased by anyone, the careless ones don't ruin it for all of us.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub