FAA rules / flying with LiPo batteries

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can point me to something straightforward that shows its Okay to fly commercial / Delta International with my DJI Phantom 3 batteries.

I'd like something better then a screen capture of a forum post forum BigJohn6969 that says so. Something's official looking.

I have found some wordy and lengthy articles that show how to calculate wHr ratings of the batteris that conclude I'm good to go, but wow, that's not what I'm seeking.

Can anyone point me to something straight forward, simple, and official looking that I can print and keep in my carry-on luggage that I could offer airport security if I get asked?

Thank you.

I'm hoping someone can point me to something straightforward that shows its Okay to fly commercial / Delta International with my DJI Phantom 3 batteries.

I'd like something better then a screen capture of a forum post forum BigJohn6969 that says so. Something's official looking.

I have found some wordy and lengthy articles that show how to calculate wHr ratings of the batteris that conclude I'm good to go, but wow, that's not what I'm seeking.

Can anyone point me to something straight forward, simple, and official looking that I can print and keep in my carry-on luggage that I could offer airport security if I get asked?

Thank you.
The TSA Blog: Travel Tips Tuesday: Safely Packing Batteries for Your Trip

You can find the official FAA document on this topic here.

Not knowing the "FAA" stuff... I'd fly with discharged batteries. Mine were delivered (by air) that way and seeing the characteristics of these types of batteries, that'd be the best bet.

There's no need to attempt to discharge the batteries before flying. Just follow the rules in the page I linked above and you'll be fine.

Thank you. I went to the article in your link and could not find anywhere that it says it is OK to fly with the DJI Phantom 3 battery.

Is there something I'm missing or am I not asking my question correctly?
Phantom batteries are LiPO.

Phantom batteries are LiPO.

Yes it is. LiPo is a Lithium Ion battery so it does fit into the above linked article.

If I'm reading correctly you can take unlimited "Personal Use" LiPo battery so long as they are less than 100 Watt Hours (Wh) and 2x spare batteries that re 101Wh - 160Wh each.

At one point I thought you had to add all batteries Wh up and there was a max allowed Wh but it looks like that is old news.

Keep in mind that the article states several times "With airline approval" in other words the airline itself can restrict your battery carrying how ever they wish. Just because the FAA allows it does not mean the airline itself must allow it. If the airline or anyone on the crew deem it not safe you wont' be traveling with your LiPo batteries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20