FAA Requirement of 3 Mile visibility in night flights under part 107

I use the EF-20-A from HOME PAGE for our Inspire. They also carry a smaller light that flashes 60 times a minute and is visible for 10NM at night.

Attachments

• strobe.JPG
    strobe.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 472
I use the EF-20-A from HOME PAGE for our Inspire. They also carry a smaller light that flashes 60 times a minute and is visible for 10NM at night.
Excellent light - the one I want as soon as I find how to hook it up electrically. Also, prefer to make it easily removable, since only used on occasion. Personally, I have a pair of super-bright CREE lights that weigh just grams (mentioned in earlier post), BUT need to add a little circuit to make them strobe between 40 and 100 times per minute...no knowledge of how-to-do circuit here.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgooge
I finally took pictures of mine. It's not the prettiest installation, but it works very well.
The bulb is attached to a phantom 2 gimbal guard using the screws that came with it. I mount the guard with velcro cable wraps to the legs so that it is removable. The balance plug can then be powered by a small external lipo for those who dont already have onboard 12v power.

Dropbox - 20160918_200725 - Copy.jpg
Dropbox - 20160918_200730 - Copy.jpg
Dropbox - Strobing.mp4

Sent from my SM-G920P using PhantomPilots mobile app

We hooked up the EF-20-A with GoPro Mounts that easily come off. I'll try and grab a picture tomorrow.

Excellent light - the one I want as soon as I find how to hook it up electrically. Also, prefer to make it easily removable, since only used on occasion. Personally, I have a pair of super-bright CREE lights that weigh just grams (mentioned in earlier post), BUT need to add a little circuit to make them strobe between 40 and 100 times per minute...no knowledge of how-to-do circuit here.

Technically these lights need to be seen from a 360 degree full sphere: above, below--all sides as well... I suppose getting two of these DS-30 strobes strapped to opposite legs of the landing gear might help. I blew a bunch of money on two Lume Cubes, but realize they're highly directional, and if nothing else--cannot be seen when the Phantom is facing perpendicular to line of sight--at least when a mile away. They also seem to interfere with the VPS sonar when set to strobe; vs when using them as a solid light; as my P3P bobs up and down erratically when within 10 feet of the ground. I also only get 12 minutes of flight time vs the 18 minutes I can get with the same battery when flying without the lume cubes...

Reactions: Dan H
Probably get away with hemispherical visibility. A top mounted strobe on a manned aircraft isn't visible from underneath.

I believe flashing/blinking will be required sooner or later and do not want to have to purchase things twice.

I believe flashing /blinking is a requirement to meet the definition of an anti-collision light. Reading FAA AC 20-30 give some in-site.. AC 20-74 covers the lights, angles, etc.

You'll also need circular coverage. That's why an aircraft anti-collision light is generally mounted on top of the tail. Not to be confused with a white position light.

You may want to take a look at:
STROBON NEO + 4 Stripes Pack - Flytron
putting one strip on each leg of a Phantom and setting it to strobe white.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl