FAA Releases Drone Registration Location Data

I can add the other areas outside the US that I left out. It was 39,000+ zip codes so it took quite some time. I removed a few outside the US to speed it up :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
I did notice that my zip is on the excel sheet twice. The first copy of it lists 1 for my zip and the second 70. When looking at the map it shows only 1 for my zip. Just figured i would let you know. Zip is 21061 just for reference.

I am updating the map now. It just might take awhile...like all day to update :)

I'm wondering how they handled someone like me, I used a different town/zip for the business address than the snail mail address. So that would skew their results as it would count me twice then.

Interesting, and the map just isn't for drones, its any aircraft such as rc planes or helios.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today posted a large database showing the city, state and zip code of each registered drone owner. Release of the database responds to a number of Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests submitted since the new unmanned aircraft registration system began operating on December 21, 2015.

The FAA is not posting the names and street addresses of registered owners because the data is exempt from disclosure under a FOIA exemption that protects information in agency files from a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy.

The FAA based its determination to post only city, state and zip code on several factors, including, in part, that many of the registrants are minors and only hobbyists or recreational users. In addition, when the FAA published its Federal Register notice pertaining to the new unmanned aircraft registration system it specifically advised the public that name and addresses would only be available by the registration number issued to the registrant. For these reasons, the FAA believes the privacy interest in such data outweighs any public interest.

Anyone who owns a drone weighing more than 0.55 lbs. but less than 55 lbs. must register before flying the aircraft outdoors for hobby or recreation. All owners of small unmanned aircraft used for other purposes must also register as one of the requirements associated with a Section 333 exemption.

You can view and search the registration data at: http://www.faa.gov/foia/electronic_reading_room/media/Reg-by-City-State-Zip-12May2016.xlsx

The link does not work anymore.

This represents all aircraft( airplanes, helicopters and uav)!

Surprised to see 43 in my little town being I never see any in the air except my own.

461,433 drones, wow!

Who are the two people in Saint Paul Island, Alaska? :eek:

edit: there appear to be some discrepancies on the map, such as Elk Grove, CA being located in the south Atlantic.

The list shows two in my zip, 93561 Bear Valley Springs, Ca, but the map does not reflect any. Any thoughts?

Never mind that, I found the dot. It's geographically off a bit, but the data is correct.

Dude. This is crazy. I'm the only one in my zip code that registered. Neighboring zips have 50 plus registrations.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

How do the new rules change this for the hobbyist?

Is our registrations still good? Are they dumping this system now?

This stuff is so confusing. I just want to fly LOS for a bit on my only day off.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The FAA based its determination to post only city, state and zip code on several factors, including, in part, that many of the registrants are minors and only hobbyists or recreational users.

The OP obviously didn't look at the file long enough to see it only lists the number of registrations by zip code... all the other content in his post is obviously extremist paranoia....

Being the dork that I am, I just had to have a visual of this in Google Maps.
I imported all the data into Google maps to get a better view of the data.
When you go to the link below, make sure to then click on the Map of County Tab.
You can then zoom in to your location and then click on the bubbles around you to see the data.

Enjoy :)

FAA UAV Registration Location Data - Google Fusion Tables
Thanks for posting this data. It is apparent there are many more of us out here than I thought.
I echo others who say they never see others out flying in their area. But, if they are like me, they probably try to "fly under the radar" too. I never try to draw attention to myself when I'm shooting pictures and video. Not that I've been hassled except once by a state ferryboat guy. Most folks are curious and ask me questions, wishing they could experience the flying camera, too.
IMG_20160523_131241.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1