FAA Regulations

Reaction score
Saw a demonstration Wed of P3 Pro

I was impressed with what I believe would be a relatively short
learning curve to be able to fly it with some degree of confidence.

I thought that the altitude restriction of 400’ AGL mentioned during the demo would not pose a significant disadvantage.

However, I did some research and discovered that there are airspace
restrictions that preclude the operation of drones at any altitude.

The restrictions imposed by the FAA are especially significant.

The link will open the AOPA’s Airmap. The mapping program reveals
5 mile radius circles of airports in your area of concern. Regulations require
that any drone operations within the airspace enclosed by these circles
be cleared with—approved by—the appropriate Airport Traffic Control Tower(s) prior to each operation.

My experience as a pilot tells me that our FAA Air Traffic Controllers really do not want to deal with nearly invisible flying objects complicating their already busy airspace. Drones aren’t equipped with Mode C (altitude squawking) radar transponders that would show where they are and there is no radio communication between the tower and the drone operator.

I agree that--depending on how close to the airport center the drone is--a 400 AGL limit
would seem to preclude a collision or conflict with air traffic.

The point is that I believe the guys in the tower would just as soon not have
any concern with drone operations in their control zone and be reluctant to allow them.

This reluctance would, in my opinion, prohibit or delay the use of the drone
over large areas as are evidenced by the linked map.

AirMap.io

Please post regs requiring prior ATC authorization to fly a recreational drone.

I'm currently in Canada and here there is no permission required however there are some insurance requirements for recreational use to name one.

[QUOTE="I'm currently in Canada and here there is no permission required however there are some insurance requirements for recreational use to name one.[/QUOTE]

I am also in Canada - can you please give links to " insurance requirements for recreational use "
Despite inquiries to my local insurance agent I have been unable to find ANY insurance for recreational drone use.

Read a few more of the posts here that address this. It's not quite that complicated unless you live in a large urban area or very close to an airport. Even within the 5-mile radius, you can inform the control tower of your intentions.

Generally, just ask permission to fly wherever you'd like. I frequently fly in local parks will full permission of their respective administrations.

And depite the somewhat-omnipresent negativity that's expressed here, most people are thrilled to see a Phantom-type gadget firsthand. In fact, sometimes the hardest part of flying one is answering all the questions from onlookers.

But recently, now that more people have them, it seems that their presence is being taken more in stride.

Last edited:
Actually, per the language of FAA document AC 9157A, drone operators don't really need to be "cleared" or "approved" by a control tower. Simple notification is all a drone operator is required to do, although obviously I think a certain common sense applies on the part of the drone pilot (e.g. he isn't going to fly 400' AGL at the end of a runway).

In addition, drone pilots can work out an agreement with the tower which eliminates the need to contact the tower before each flight.

Document attached.

Attachments

• AC_91-57A_Ch_1.pdf
    176.4 KB · Views: 150
[QUOTE="I'm currently in Canada and here there is no permission required however there are some insurance requirements for recreational use to name one.

I am also in Canada - can you please give links to " insurance requirements for recreational use "
Despite inquiries to my local insurance agent I have been unable to find ANY insurance for recreational drone use.[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

It is required by Transport Canada, specifically 100k mimimum.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/document...hic_Permission_to_fly_a_UAV_Print_English.pdf

Nobody sells it in Canada. Great right?
Mine is covered under my home per my ins. company up to 2 million.[/QUOTE]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31