FAA Regulations--Please Read

I disagree. Just because people break rules, doesn't mean there shouldn't be rules.
Spend some time thinking about that, licensing is not rules. I don't need a license to tell me that the rule (if there were one) says I can't go above 400 AGL.

Sorry for being a little "cheeky" about this matter... If you're an inspector for the FAA and you're here on company business, you will have our undivided attention. There are a number of very creative trolls who walk the aisles of this forum. Sorry if we can't take your claims seriously, but... in truth... we can't...

Reactions: N017RW
Spend some time thinking about that, licensing is not rules. I don't need a license to tell me that the rule (if there were one) says I can't go above 400 AGL.
Making people go through a certification process hits home the responsibility of what they're doing as well as educating them on the proper use of their aircraft. Why I have to explain the necessity for this is beyond me... but it will happen. We're just at the dawn of a new age. There were no driver's licenses when cars first became popular either. Eventually people said: "woah, we might need to set up some guidelines here..."

Just to help everyone out here -- those that haven't bothered to go to the faa website --- here are the first few lines. Please note the phrase "strongly encouraged to follow the safety guidelines".

quote....
Model aircraft operations are for hobby or recreational purposes only.

The FAA has partnered with several industry associations to promote Know Before You Fly, a campaign to educate the public about using unmanned aircraft safely and responsibly. Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:

• Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft

Reactions: Quadpilot
Making people go through a certification process hits home the responsibility of what they're doing as well as educating them on the proper use of their aircraft. Why I have to explain the necessity for this is beyond me... but it will happen. We're just at the dawn of a new age. There were no driver's licenses when cars first became popular either. Eventually people said: "woah, we might need to set up some guidelines here..."
Ohh, I thought it was all about making money. Darn, I was wrong again, all those roads came out of nowhere for free.

Ohh, I thought it was all about making money. Darn, I was wrong again, all those roads came out of nowhere for free.

Your tags and registration are about money. Driver's tests and licensing are about education. For crying out loud man, do you have any idea what you're actually defending and attacking here? We're talking about basic education.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Nope. I never learned how to drive from the test or licensing. I actually learned to drive when I was 11 on my own.

Missionaries had to go to remote parts of the world to save those that new not about the lord. Unless they knew of our lord they would not goto heaven.

When you buy a drone does it state the laws of use? If not thr FAA has a bit of saving to do. Other than that it's not getting to everyone.

This @#%!% guy...
My mom was talking to one of the DMV road test officials while I was out on my road test. The official told her that I would fail 100% guaranteed, because the official I was driving with never in 20 years passed his first driver of the day. I didn't fail, and if I did I'd probably get that official fired.

You fail to realize only responsible people get licensed, therefore no significant improvement is made. Similar to how CHL holders very rarely cause any crime but gun crimes happen anyway.

I once thought it would be easier to drive if we paved the entire earth but then I was only 4. Take the blinders off and think a few steps ahead about the impacts and if your goal will be achieved by your ideas.

We'd be much better off if the drones had a built in system that you had to work your experience level up before you could fly a certain range or a certain height. Basically you earn more ability through experience or even by reading guidelines built into the system. But then again a good programmer and all limits are off.

More government is not the answer to something that can only be controlled through personal responsibility.

Reactions: Buzz313th
Ladies and Germans,

I can understand the incredulity over someone claiming to be from the FAA after all the armchair lawyering that takes place on this site over FAA rules and the lack of prior FAA representation. However, I can say with a reasonable degree of certainty that Govman is not a troll. Let's give him a little respect or at least the benefit of the doubt. We can certainly use some input from the FAA.

Govman, most of them are house trained though a few will growl at you. Most here do their best to follow the rules. A small few, as you can see, need to be convinced.

My big request to the FAA would be to clarify publicly what the rules are. Most people don't understand them. They're counter intuitive. And some of them, pardon my bluntness, seem downright obtuse. There have been countless debates on what the legalities are. I welcome your input.

The UAS adviseries as posted by the FAA are specific to Drones and model aircraft..

The NTSB and the FAA still consider UAVs/UASs/Model Aurcraft to be Aircraft as defined in the FARs. There are numerous Federal Aviation Regulations that are law that blanket the adviseries for UAVs.

With that being said, if you adhere to the current adviseries recommended by the FAA, you will not violate any FARs. If you decide to ignore the adviseries, then you are subjecting yourself to possibly breaking a law and some of these laws can be charged as a federal felony.

The only way to understand the existing laws regarding the shared National Airspace System that regulates Aircraft is to look at the Federal Aviation Regulations or have a look at the Airmans Information Manual.

I can answer any questions any of you may have.

Ok... Here's my well thought out response.

Ok... Under MODEL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS, I see:
Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:
  • Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
Same stuff as we've all been 'advised to follow'. NOT 'required'.

Done. The Pirker case you speak of was SETTLED, not ruled on in court and also relates to COMMERCIAL DRONE USE. NOT Hobby use.

Based on your #3 Can you please site specific cases numbers we can review?

How did someone complain about an elevation so far beyond the human eye no one could possibly see it? Are FAA complaints public domain? Who was the complaint against? How did the complainant know who the person was and how did the FAA know he was a member of phantompilots? More importantly, how do you know? If you know, tell us who? Surely this type of complaint to our government is public domain information. Police logs are published in the new papers... this should be public domain as well.

The reason we're ganging up is because many of your points, as I point out, do not hold water or are unrelated. If you care to comment on my responses, it might help your cause. None of the content relates to our use or is backed by any evidence or examples of how and where this mystery law has been enforced or even tried.

Our office received a complaint from an individual against a member of this forum who posted pictures and a flight log alleging JFK at 3000'. Honestly that's all I know. It is our duty to investigate each such complaint.

Reactions: Buzz313th
I looked up the Pirker case.

Here is an interesting part of one of the articles about it.

"When I first started covering Pirker's case, media and just about everyone else took the FAA's word that commercial drone flights were illegal. Since then, the agency has been exposed, over and over, as making up quasi-legal "regulations" as it goes along. And still, we have no small drone rule, after one was promised, over and over again, by the end of 2014."

So i guess that takes care of that.

1. What about the NYC law banning drones?

2. In the "Pirker case" the NTSB ruled that drones are aircraft--and all rules that apply to aircraft apply to drones. As counterintuitive as it sounds, you need a pilot's license, etc. Your quote above is incorrect except that yes, we do not have a rule ALLOWING drone use other than for hobby use. And yes, the FAA is way behind in this area.

I would like to know what aircrafts fly in the 400'-1000' AGL?
Typical 737 climb rate is 1,800-2,200 fpm and we have restrictions around airports.
Glide path is obviously lower, but still, way above 400' until very last bit of final approach.

Medical & law enforcement helicopters also fly in the 2,000' AGL range.

Lastly, do you know what the statistical probability is of striking a one cubic foot UAV with another aircraft?
Yes, I realize that it could theoretically happen and why chance it.
But this is not like winning a lottery or getting hit by a lightning.
I could run the numbers, but there are so many variables.

I agree: Only aircraft taking off or landing fly from 400-1000 feet. But do you know how many reports this office receives every week of drones being spotted by airline pilots as they ARE taking off and landing? Don't you all agree this is a hazard? Why are some drone operators operating near airports and airliners?

NY ADC Law 10-126

You are obviously misguided. Nothing to do with anything here. After skimming that law/rule whatever it is, your not allowed to have helium balloons, no blimps, no news copters, I would go as far as to say that NYPD on the side of the helicopter is considered advertising. All AMA clubs are illegal, kites. Airlines shouldn't be flying here as they are advertising, that sea plane that lands and takes off from the east river is definitely illegal and all the copters that land and take off at seaport are illegal.

If so, please send me the address to where I can send my complaints. I will send you at least 100 per day.

You are here just to waste peoples time.

I think the point of the NYC law is that only airplanes can land and takeoff at airports. All other operations are illegal. I am merely attempting to spread the FAA's position--not mine personally--about the laws regarding drone operations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers