FAA Regulations--Please Read

I would like to know what aircrafts fly in the 400'-1000' AGL?
Typical 737 climb rate is 1,800-2,200 fpm and we have restrictions around airports.
Glide path is obviously lower, but still, way above 400' until very last bit of final approach.

Medical & law enforcement helicopters also fly in the 2,000' AGL range.

Lastly, do you know what the statistical probability is of striking a one cubic foot UAV with another aircraft?
Yes, I realize that it could theoretically happen and why chance it.
But this is not like winning a lottery or getting hit by a lightning.
I could run the numbers, but there are so many variables.

The funny thing is that I really am an FAA inspector. But even if I were not, have you gone to www.faa.gov/uas? Have you done an internet search for the "Pirker Case"? The facts are what they are regardless of who I claim to be.

That is funny. What's also funny is we have no way of knowing that. And I'm actually on your side (whoever you are) and feel there needs to be regulations and licenses. I also believe you're full of it. Funny how humans can hold two truths in their head at once.

Reactions: N017RW
Because you aren't the first "FAA Employee" that has come one here with this stuff. You don't need to be employed by the FAA to gain access to those documents, and since there are plenty of others on here already doing what you're doing, I question the value-add of you being here. Unless, of course, you are an FAA employee and can shed some light on things we don't already know or have access to freely.

I was unaware that other FAA employees (or at least others claiming to be with the FAA) have also posted.

PLEASE let me just say this:

1. go to www.faa.gov/uas.
2. Research th "Pirker case."
3. I am HAPPY to help in any way I can.
4. What you all may or may not know is that when drone opertors are caught, this office prepares cases against them which subsequently go to court. The FAA asks for fines. I don't know how many of these cases we win or lose, but I do know it is a huige headache to get arrested, to pay a lawyer, etc.

5. I received a complaint against one of your members who allegedly flew his Phantom over JFK at 3000'. I only want to point out that this is a hazard and is illegal. This is the reason I made my first post. Simply educatuional outreach.

I guess I expected a fair amount of hostility but am still disappointed that it occurred, and is directed at me and not the regulations. Thanks.

So you are fine with cops who violate the constitution because they interpreted a law how they saw fit?

Killer, that's a truly silly comment - what I am fine with is Govman stating his understanding of FAA regulations.

I, for one, have no problem with Govman's post. Nor do I think he needs to identify who he is because I've seen some real WackJobs on every forum I've participated in and I'm not going to give anyone my name!

He is entitled to his interpretation and has the right to make statements as he chooses. Frankly, I see good intent in his post...

Thanks very much. I do appreciate the support. I hope you can convince your colleagues to operate safely.

Interestingly, New york City has a law separate from the FAA's banning ALL UASs in the city! Please search for "NY ADC Law 10-126."

I was unaware that other FAA employees (or at least others claiming to be with the FAA) have also posted.

PLEASE let me just say this:

1. go to www.faa.gov/uas.
2. Research th "Pirker case."
3. I am HAPPY to help in any way I can.
4. What you all may or may not know is that when drone opertors are caught, this office prepares cases against them which subsequently go to court. The FAA asks for fines. I don't know how many of these cases we win or lose, but I do know it is a huige headache to get arrested, to pay a lawyer, etc.

5. I received a complaint against one of your members who allegedly flew his Phantom over JFK at 3000'. I only want to point out that this is a hazard and is illegal. This is the reason I made my first post. Simply educatuional outreach.

I guess I expected a fair amount of hostility but am still disappointed that it occurred, and is directed at me and not the regulations. Thanks.

I looked up the Pirker case.

Here is an interesting part of one of the articles about it.

"When I first started covering Pirker's case, media and just about everyone else took the FAA's word that commercial drone flights were illegal. Since then, the agency has been exposed, over and over, as making up quasi-legal "regulations" as it goes along. And still, we have no small drone rule, after one was promised, over and over again, by the end of 2014."

So i guess that takes care of that.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Ok... Here's my well thought out response.

Ok... Under MODEL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS, I see:
Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:
  • Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
Same stuff as we've all been 'advised to follow'. NOT 'required'.

1. Research th "Pirker case.".

Done. The Pirker case you speak of was SETTLED, not ruled on in court and also relates to COMMERCIAL DRONE USE. NOT Hobby use.

What you all may or may not know is that when drone opertors are caught, this office prepares cases against them which subsequently go to court. The FAA asks for fines. I don't know how many of these cases we win or lose, but I do know it is a huige headache to get arrested, to pay a lawyer, etc.

Based on your #3
I am HAPPY to help in any way I can.
Can you please site specific cases numbers we can review?

How did someone complain about an elevation so far beyond the human eye no one could possibly see it? Are FAA complaints public domain? Who was the complaint against? How did the complainant know who the person was and how did the FAA know he was a member of phantompilots? More importantly, how do you know? If you know, tell us who? Surely this type of complaint to our government is public domain information. Police logs are published in the new papers... this should be public domain as well.

The reason we're ganging up is because many of your points, as I point out, do not hold water or are unrelated. If you care to comment on my responses, it might help your cause. None of the content relates to our use or is backed by any evidence or examples of how and where this mystery law has been enforced or even tried.

NY ADC Law 10-126

You are obviously misguided. Nothing to do with anything here. After skimming that law/rule whatever it is, your not allowed to have helium balloons, no blimps, no news copters, I would go as far as to say that NYPD on the side of the helicopter is considered advertising. All AMA clubs are illegal, kites. Airlines shouldn't be flying here as they are advertising, that sea plane that lands and takes off from the east river is definitely illegal and all the copters that land and take off at seaport are illegal.

If so, please send me the address to where I can send my complaints. I will send you at least 100 per day.

You are here just to waste peoples time.

Jet engine would eat a phantom and spit it out... might see a few dings on the fan. I'm flying a quad copter, not a drone. If you have a contact so I can buy my own DRONE, like a global hawk or predator, I'd appreciate you passing that on. ;)

Thanks very much. I do appreciate the support. I hope you can convince your colleagues to operate safely.

Interestingly, New york City has a law separate from the FAA's banning ALL UASs in the city! Please search for "NY ADC Law 10-126."

Govman, there are many experienced and responsible pilots on this forum, and usually, when a newbie posts some un-safe flight or video, he/she gets pummeled. But there are irresponsible people involved in every hobby and we are going through some serious growing pains right now. I personally believe that some type of required education or certification is essential since we are sharing airspace. If there were a good course available at a reasonable price, I would take it myself. But even certified pilots do dumb stuff, like the guy who strafed his neighborhood in a 172 and lost his license for a year! Dummies abound...

...also, I love my prop guards...

in my opinion
Jet engine would eat a phantom and spit it out... might see a few dings on the fan. I'm flying a quad copter, not a drone. If you have a contact so I can buy my own DRONE, like a global hawk or predator, I'd appreciate you passing that on. ;)

Damitjim, that is so wrong, in my opinion, that a jet engine would pass a Phantom without noticing. If a bird can damage a jet engine, certainly a drone would!

Damitjim, that is so wrong, that a jet engine would pass a Phantom without noticing. If a bird can damage a jet engine, certainly a drone would!

A bird won't. Engine testing is done by throwing frozen chickens and turkeys into them.

That is funny. What's also funny is we have no way of knowing that. And I'm actually on your side (whoever you are) and feel there needs to be regulations and licenses. I also believe you're full of it. Funny how humans can hold two truths in their head at once.
Stop with this license BS, if you can order these things on Amazon you will not stop anybody from doing stupid stuff by requiring licenses. Responsible people who would get the licenses are not the problem.

Reactions: bbfpv
I dont hear squat about what i MUST do all i hear is what im strongly encouraged to do -,-
But, you do realize the FAA will most likely fine you if you do cause some kind of accident that is reported -- right? If you do manage to dodge the fine, you'll probably spend a lot in legal fees. I'm assuming the FAA has very deep pockets.

Stop with this license BS, if you can order these things on Amazon you will not stop anybody from doing stupid stuff by requiring licenses. Responsible people who would get the licenses are not the problem.
I disagree. Just because people break rules, doesn't mean there shouldn't be rules. But there's no need to argue, the legislation will be here. Especially considering the arrogance and irresponsibility of the people on this very board.

Good morning everyone. I am an inspector with the MBRA. I can't give out my name, but I'm here to help everyone avoid a disastrous situation. This disastrous situation could very easily develop if you take every internet "expert", "government agent" or other "self professed figure of authority" seriously. This could cause you to lose sleep, stop having relations with your mate, kick your pet cat, or ever worse... sell your multi-rotor. We market our own brand of MBRA aerosol*. Whenever you run into a situation, such as we're experiencing in this thread, just fire off a heavy burst of our aerosol and the situation will quickly resolve itself.

That's MBRA (Multirotor ******** Repellent Association) please visit our website at www.yougottabeshittinme.com or send all inquiries to [email protected]

*our aerosol may contain very small doses of a popular beverage manufactured from potatoes. Do not drive, fly, or walk after a heavy spraying.

Good morning everyone. I am an inspector with the MBRA. I can't give out my name, but I'm here to help everyone avoid a disastrous situation. This disastrous situation could very easily develop if you take every internet "expert", "government agent" or other "self professed figure of authority" seriously. This could cause you to lose sleep, stop having relations with your mate, kick your pet cat, or ever worse... sell your multi-rotor. We market our own brand of MBRA aerosol*. Whenever you run into a situation, such as we're experiencing in this thread, just fire off a heavy burst of our aerosol and the situation will quickly resolve itself.

That's MBRA (Multirotor ******** Repellent Association) please visit our website at www.yougottabeshittinme.com or send all inquiries to [email protected]

*our aerosol may contain very small doses of a popular beverage manufactured from potatoes. Do not drive, fly, or walk after a heavy spraying.
You're kind of asking for this Govman. o_O

Govman, Hope you enjoyed your first day of membership. I know you probably lurked for quite awhile before joining to get a feel for the membership and the current climate of the discussions. However, you have portrayed yourself as a federal government employee without documentation of your credentials or an FAA website I can see which office you work for and your position. Sorry, but many of us will be skeptical.

Sorry too, we've been less than welcoming. Perhaps tomorrow will be a better day. I know I have to review Piker, as I thought it was settled out of court. Today however, the weather is perfect and I'm going out to enjoy my hobby within the guidelines recommended/suggested/provided by the FAA.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie