FAA regulations on FPV?

Reaction score
I've recently thrown my hat so to speak in the FPVish ring. I had pre-ordered a pair of DJI goggles then realized that per the FAA anyone flying a UAS for fun or work must maintain the aircraft in thier visual line of sight. So now I have ordered a pair of the Epson Moverio BT-300 "augmented" reality glasses. With these I can maintain VLOS and fly without risk of incrimination. I've read many posts in the last 2 days with people reccomending the DJI goggles over the BT-300's. My question is this, is flying against FAA regulations not a concern?
I will probably still keep a pair of the DJI goggles but only to hand to a client or someone that is NOT flying the drone so they can observe OR I guess if you have a spotter that would make them legal? Yes?

The legalities are all pretty much in thier infancy as far as commercial UAS piloting is concerned, which is how I make a living so adhereing to FAA regulations is a must for me. I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

TMB Aerial - Dave

I know I already covered this in your other related thread here, but I'll mention it here too in case someone doesn't stumble upon it.

I found I had to use the Rochester shades (the darkest shades) from the FPV/Drone Edition in order to see the screen clearly. With those shades installed, it's impossible (for me) to see my Phantom through the screen (and shades). Unless you're willing to give up brightness/clarity of the screen by using lighter shades (or no shades), I don't think VLOS will be a possibility.

msinger that really wasn't my question here. I really don't wish to derail the topic, please.
You commented that you think you're going to be able to fly VLOS with your Epson BT 300's -- hence satisfying the rules of flying for fun. While you might be able to pull that off right before sunrise or after sunset, all bets are off if you're going to be flying during the day in full sunlight.

is flying against FAA regulations not a concern?
Hobbyists who fly with FPV goggles either don't know this rule exists or don't care. If people were concerned, they wouldn't do it. No?

I guess if you have a spotter that would make them legal?
The way I read it, this would only be legal if you're flying commercially. When flying as a hobbyist, the person in control of the aircraft must maintain VLOS. If you have any doubts, you should definitely get in touch with the FAA directly. I've never seen FAA employees answering questions on this forum, so all of the replies that follow are just going to be opinions (like mine).

No worries, friend. I was just replying to your comments/questions as you asked in your original post above. I hope it's okay if I participate in your threads ;)

Stating that VLOS won't work for me because it "factually" doesn't work for you is pretty smug and arrogant. Yes. There are plenty of reviews out there that say the BT-300s work perfectly fine. I've seen others on this forum disagree with your assessment as well. As I stated in my other post, I'll judge for myself.

Stating that VLOS won't work for me because it "factually" doesn't work for you is pretty smug and arrogant. Yes.
I totally get it. You're super pumped about your new purchase and are hoping you are about to master the art of simultaneously flying with FPV goggles and maintaining VLOS. Hopefully they work out better for you (and the other similar reviews I'm seeing).

On a similar note to your OP, it would be interesting to know what the FAA thinks "VLOS" means. Does it mean you can faintly, kind of, sort of see the aircraft through the glasses? Do you just need to be able to see a blinking light from the aircraft in the distance? Do you need to clearly see the entire aircraft? That seems to be another great mystery that's never been explained by the FAA.

I remember seeing this while studying for my UAS certification. I think it clearly states what VLOS means for the FAA.

§107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;

(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and

(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:

(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or

(2) A visual observer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers