FAA Registration

Reaction score
Just curious about FAA Registration. I registered my new Phantom 3 and paid the $5 fee. It didn't require AC or RC data identifying the drone I own. Did I miss something in the registration process?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Just curious about FAA Registration. I registered my new Phantom 3 and paid the $5 fee. It didn't require AC or RC data identifying the drone I own. Did I miss something in the registration process?
That's right.
It's really registering you rather than any particular drone.
You can use multiple drones on the same registration number.

Since your registration number must be attached to your Phantom 3, the FAA will be able to associate the aircraft back to you if needed.

The serial numbers are only required if registering an aircraft for commercial flying.

Reactions: Pharm
The serial numbers are only required if registering an aircraft for commercial flying.
Msinger is right, hobby fliers register pilots and commercial fliers register individual aircraft along with the Part 107 pilot certification. If you go to the FAA registration webpage, there are 2 buttons, one for hobby and the other for commercial (note, a pilot can have both hobby and commercial registrations - I do). Each commercial registration cost $5 and you get a bird unique number that looks similar to the hobby format (I.e. 'FA.......'). Going the paper route, takes more paperwork, still only costs $5 and you get an 'N' number like manned aircraft have.

So I have been searching and reading about this $5 registration fee. In this article: Is Flying a Drone Illegal? A Comprehensive Guide to America’s Drone Laws it seems clear that Congress told the FAA to NOT regulate hobby or recreational flyers. This article was printed June 2016, seems fairly recent. Could someone post a link to where the specifics are in requiring this registration? Thanks.

See the table of rules on the FAA's website here.

So I went to "here" and found "Getting Started" which includes
For more information, please review the following materials:
Latest UAS News
Summary of the Small UAS Rule (PDF)
Small UAS Advisory Circular – How to Use the Rule (PDF)
Complete Text of the Small UAS Rule
Part 107 Knowledge Test Prep
How to fly a UAS for your work or business

None of the above relate to "Hobby or Recreational" UAS flying. And of course Section 336 112-95 has this to say:
"IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport))"

Now what it DOES NOT stipulate are regulations for the operator. So, where does this $5 registration fee come from? I have a fundamental problem registering with any kind of government entity just because they say I have to. But if someone can point to a specific Federal Law or Rule, I'll be glad to read.

It is NOT my intent to start anything nor appear as a troll, I'm just asking.

None

See the table of rules on the FAA's website here.
That's Part 107 (commercial ops). Where is the Part 101 registration requirement set down? Note, it is the current FAA interpretation of Rule 47 that 'allows' them to require hobby registration.

Last edited:
That's Part 107 (commercial ops).
Note the two columns in that table. If you're a hobbyist, you'll want to pay special attention to the left column.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl