FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Reactions: Jacob
Interesting, they reference a uav being an aircraft, but the also say that you only register once and use the same number on all the uavs you may own. So in essence is it fair to assume that they don't really want to monitor the uavs (like how many there are or how many are being flown) just the people who own/fly them? I haven't had a chance to read the whole thing but I'd be interested in how the enforcement will work and the "civil and criminal" penalties..

Other than the registration requirement, does this legally change any of the "rules" around flying?

Other than the registration requirement, does this legally change any of the "rules" around flying?

This is for registration only. Additional regulations are still being considered and will be implemented at a later date.

So.....the identification number they give us....we need to write it on our drones? They won't provider a sticker or something?

So.....the identification number they give us....we need to write it on our drones? They won't provider a sticker or something?
appears so. though I would probably write it on a sticker, and put that on the bird. in case you want to sell it at some point.

appears so. though I would probably write it on a sticker, and put that on the bird. in case you want to sell it at some point.

Yeah I was just thinking that. Or use a label maker.

I hope the website gives you the ability to "delete" your record as well if you do end up selling the bird.

Reactions: P3ron
Can we still fly now? I wonder if when we register if we get a number at that point or have to wait. I see this applies even on you own property.

Well with this new law going into effect manufacturers or even the stores/shops for that matter will need to put a disclaimer next to the drones that they will need to get register them now with the FAA. That may or may not discourage potential buyers. Especially ones that are just buying them for a xmas gift to little johnny from aunt Sally.

Can we still fly now? I wonder if when we register if we get a number at that point or have to wait. I see this applies even on you own property.
according to the verbiage, the number gets generated via the website.

This could have been much worse. $5 every 3 years is nothing and you only have to do it for yourself not each aircraft. Thank goodness because some of us have accumulated several over the years.

But keep in mind IF you fly commercially this registration does not cover that aircraft. You still have to use the N# registration system and have that # on the aircraft you use commercially.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Yeah I was just thinking that. Or use a label maker.

I hope the website gives you the ability to "delete" your record as well if you do end up selling the bird.
Won't need to delete. Registers only the owner of drones not specific aircraft. Just remove you ID tag or label when selling.

This only applies to model operators not commercial operators

Last edited:
Ok, so what exactly is achieved by this? What do we "get" out of playing their game? I already have a means to contact me listed on my drone. Who does the enforcement? I work for a local police agency and I know that they have no plans (let alone authority) to enforce FAA regulations.

Sorry, I don't plan on playing.

Certificate of Registration
Q. How do I prove I am registered?

A. A certificate of registration will be available to download and will be sent to your email address at the time of registration. When operating your UAS you must be able to present the certificate in either print or electronic format if asked for proof of registration.

Q. Do I have to have a printout of my certificate with me?

A. No. If you are asked to show your certificate of registration, you can show it electronically. You do not have to print the certificate.

Q. If I let someone borrow my drone do I have to give them the Certificate of Registration?

A. Yes, anyone who operates your drone must have the Certificate of Aircraft Registration in their possession. You can give them a paper copy, email it to them, or they can show it electronically from the registration website.

Q. Why does the certificate I received constitute recognition of registration for US citizens and permanent residents, but only recognition of ownership for foreign nationals? Have I complied with the requirement to register?

A. All users can submit information to the UAS registry; however, the law only permits the FAA to register aircraft belonging to United States citizens and permanent residents. For all others, the certificate received from the registry comprises a recognition of ownership, rather than a registration. Foreign nationals who have completed the recognition of ownership process and wish to receive a rebate for the $5 registration fee may contact the FAA [include link]. Nonetheless, all users are encouraged to submit their information and mark their UAS. This will facilitate the recovery of the UAS, should it be lost or stolen.

FOR THE PEOPLE THAT ARE CONFUSED.. NO THIS IS NOT A N NUMBER TYPE OF THING... NO NEED TO STCI ANYTHING TO YOUR DRONE....

Reactions: Craigsum
Certificate of Registration
Q. How do I prove I am registered?

A. A certificate of registration will be available to download and will be sent to your email address at the time of registration. When operating your UAS you must be able to present the certificate in either print or electronic format if asked for proof of registration.

Q. Do I have to have a printout of my certificate with me?

A. No. If you are asked to show your certificate of registration, you can show it electronically. You do not have to print the certificate.

Q. If I let someone borrow my drone do I have to give them the Certificate of Registration?

A. Yes, anyone who operates your drone must have the Certificate of Aircraft Registration in their possession. You can give them a paper copy, email it to them, or they can show it electronically from the registration website.

Q. Why does the certificate I received constitute recognition of registration for US citizens and permanent residents, but only recognition of ownership for foreign nationals? Have I complied with the requirement to register?

A. All users can submit information to the UAS registry; however, the law only permits the FAA to register aircraft belonging to United States citizens and permanent residents. For all others, the certificate received from the registry comprises a recognition of ownership, rather than a registration. Foreign nationals who have completed the recognition of ownership process and wish to receive a rebate for the $5 registration fee may contact the FAA [include link]. Nonetheless, all users are encouraged to submit their information and mark their UAS. This will facilitate the recovery of the UAS, should it be lost or stolen.

FOR THE PEOPLE THAT ARE CONFUSED.. NO THIS IS NOT A N NUMBER TYPE OF THING... NO NEED TO STCI ANYTHING TO YOUR DRONE....

Wrong. You DO have to mark your aircraft.

Marking and operating your UAS before you fly
Q. Will my drone require an N-number or sticker?

A. No. You will receive a unique registration number, not an N-number, and you must mark the registration number on your UAS by some means that is legible and allows the number to be readily seen. The registration number may be placed in a battery compartment as long as it can be accessed without the use of tools.

Q. Is putting my AMA number on my drone enough?

A. No. Not at this time. The registration system will generate a unique FAA registration number, which you must mark on your aircraft.

Q. Would putting my contact information on my drone be enough?

A. No, you must mark it with the FAA registration number.

Q. How do I mark my unmanned aircraft with the unique registration number?

A. You may use any method to affix the number, such as permanent marker, label, engraving, or other means, as long as the number is readily accessible and maintained in a condition that is readable and legible upon close visual inspection. If your unmanned aircraft has an easily accessible battery compartment you may affix the number in that compartment.

this goes for all RC aircraft correct... Planes too? (If they fit the weight requirements)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31