FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Register before January 20, 2016 and your $5 registration fee will be refunded!"

Probably only need to spend an hour or two to get this "refund" :(

Q: What is the penalty for failing to register?
A: Failure to register an aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal sanctions. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.

My question was not what is the penalty but who has enforcement authority. The local PD don't have resources or authority, let alone interest. Does the FAA have air police?

If I continue to fly safe and sane, there will be no intersection of my activity with the system. If by some rare chance I run afoul of the regulations, the Feds are seriously going to spends tens of thousands of dollars to come after me?

Newsflash, I don't make enough money to pay the fine. Jail me, I lose my job and then I can be one more person on public support while I get my three hots and a cot.

It took them 211 pages of garbly-gook to try and sell/justify this crap after a handful of "reports" of which only a subset were even substantiated. How many actual incidents occurred? Is there a single documented case of a hobby drone causing damage of significance to rise to the level requiring federal intervention?

******* Don crashes into the neighbors car, he pays to get it fixed.
****** Ron clips some person on the ground he pays medical and damages.

This is what the civil courts are for, to handle claims of negligence.

This is just more knee-jerk, "think of the chirrens", over reach by the Feds to justify their existence and hire more unskilled mass to suck up tax dollars and then demand more. It only serves to appease the mental defectives who are offended by drones, the confederate flag, and high fructose corn syrup for no reason other than someone told them they should be.

I plan to register but I think the 250 gram threshold is silly. I'll ask again. It's ok to fly now? When will it become illegal if not registered? I'm sure the system will get bogged down at first. I have a V262 Cyclone. With foam protector it weighs about 300 grams. Range and flight time is very limited but it will not pass without registration. This thing couldn't hurt anyone. Take off the foam guard and it's only 224 grams and it doesn't need registration but with exposed props might be able to poke you in the eye.

It becomes illegal on February 19th...

Registration is a statutory requirement that applies to all aircraft. Under this rule, any owner of a small UAS who has previously operated an unmanned aircraft exclusively as a model aircraft prior to December 21, 2015, must register no later than February 19, 2016. Owners of any other UAS purchased for use as a model aircraft after December 21, 2015 must register before the first flight outdoors. Owners may use either the paper-based process or the new streamlined, web-based system. Owners using the new streamlined web-based system must be at least 13 years old to register.

So all radio control traditional flying models have to register too?

My question was not what is the penalty but who has enforcement authority. The local PD don't have resources or authority, let alone interest. Does the FAA have air police?
Local law enforcement can complete a report and forward it to the FAA for further action. When a person crashes their drone into a populated stadium... they _will_ have an interest. This is a reactive situation... not a pro-active one.

If I continue to fly safe and sane, there will be no intersection of my activity with the system. If by some rare chance I run afoul of the regulations, the Feds are seriously going to spends tens of thousands of dollars to come after me?
It's not tens of thousands of dollars. They are already getting paid to enforce these rules. It does not cost them anything more. However, they do like the media coverage when something goes to court.

Newsflash, I don't make enough money to pay the fine. Jail me, I lose my job and then I can be one more person on public support while I get my three hots and a cot.
You think this has stopped the enforcement of laws in the past? But I highly doubt your flights are going to be an issue.

This is what the civil courts are for, to handle claims of negligence.
They don't care when you crash into a car. They care when someone flies a drone over the Whitehouse, an active stadium or an airport.

This is just more knee-jerk, "think of the chirrens", over reach by the Feds to justify their existence and hire more unskilled mass to suck up tax dollars and then demand more.
I'm actually glad they have done this. It won't change anything for us but it will serve to get the media and local law enforcement off of our backs.

As is now they have "inspectors" who can go anywhere and look for violators but I would be willing to bet that just like right now they won't go out looking for you. If someone calls Law Enforcement and they respond they can then report the incident to the FAA.

Will they? Hard to say but it's better to be a positive roll model now and be PROACTIVE. Talk to your local LE and get in close with them. The sooner the better.

What you get is not fined if you caught with an unregistered drone. The requirement is not that you have identifying information on the drone... it's that it's registered.

The FAA and local law enforcement will enforce the rule. Local law enforcement should refer these matters to the FAA to enforce the rule.

I haven't finished reading all 211 pages yet, does this rule grant local law enforcement authorities the power to inspect private property without reasonable suspicion of a crime? I seriously doubt it.

I can tell you that where I work, we already tell people to call the FAA if they have complaint about aircraft. I don't see that changing. Absent an actual emergency or serious event, most PD are more than happy to "pass the buck" to the appropriate agency. We will be telling people with drone complaints to call the FAA, we won't be sending cops to take reports.

Registration failures are a civil infraction, local Po-Po handles criminal matters. They don't have time, resources, funding, desire to be the drone police. Then there is the problem of unfunded mandates.

Folks break real laws everyday with little chance of being caught or held accountable. I am not real concerned about breaking a "rule". I guess that is one benefit to being a close to senior-citizen curmudgeon, empty-nester. I am getting close to the place where I have little to lose, so it makes it harder for the man to keep me under his thumb.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrTommy
People complaining about the $5.00 fee... it's for THREE YEARS... are you kidding me? That's less than .005 cents a day.... come on... you just spent that much on your mocha latte this morning....

Model aircraft are defined in the regulation but a Phantom can be either as for model or commercial use. If just for model (or hobbyist) use the aircraft itself does not get assigned a unique number. The operator of Model aircraft is assigned a unique number and he then puts this number on ALL his UAVs. If a Phantom is used for any commercial purpose it requires its own unique N number which is only for that particular aircraft

True...

Persons
intending to use the small unmanned aircraft
other than as model aircraft

$5 to register each aircraft.

Individuals intending to use the small unmanned aircraft
exclusively
as model aircraft

$5 to register an individual’s fleet of small unmanned
aircraft.

I haven't finished reading all 211 pages yet, does this rule grant local law enforcement authorities the power to inspect private property without reasonable suspicion of a crime? I seriously doubt it.

I can tell you that where I work, we already tell people to call the FAA if they have complaint about aircraft. I don't see that changing.

Registration failures are a civil infraction, local Po-Po handles criminal matters. They don't have time, resources, funding, desire to be the drone police. Then there is the problem of unfunded mandates.

Folks break real laws everyday with little chance of being caught or held accountable. I am not real concerned about breaking a "rule". I guess that is one benefit to being a close to senior-citizen curmudgeon, empty-nester. I am getting close to the place where I have little to lose, so it makes it harder for the man to keep me under his thumb.
Some law enforcement officials from different states said they would not be able to provide the man power to handle this normal would they have the funds to train their officers on this.

******* Don crashes into the neighbors car, he pays to get it fixed.
****** Ron clips some person on the ground he pays medical and damages.

Yup. But because there are plenty of ******* Dons and ****** Rons out there who will not take responsibility and would deny that it was THEIR drone
that crashed, this is what the government is forced to do.
There have been discussions on this forum of this very topic - "do I really want to put my identification and contact info on my drone in case it causes damage or injuries?"

Reactions: Reed L and BigAl07
True...

Persons
intending to use the small unmanned aircraft
other than as model aircraft

$5 to register each aircraft.

Individuals intending to use the small unmanned aircraft
exclusively
as model aircraft

$5 to register an individual’s fleet of small unmanned
aircraft.
Specifically

"Registration fee

Persons intending to use the small unmanned aircraft other than as model aircraft.
• $5 to register each aircraft.

Individuals intending to use the small unmanned aircraft exclusively as model aircraft.
• $5 to register an individual’s fleet of small unmanned aircraft.

§ 48.30"

Flying is not a right, it's a privilege. LE can view/inspect your license plate and VIN on your car anytime they want. And you are required to have both visible.

Also I don't see the fee staying at 5 dollars. They are estimating it will cost 56 million to develop the system to handle this. Where is that money going to come from.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

i'm seriously confused about one thing that stuck out to me in the FAQ section...
Q. If I let someone borrow my drone do I have to give them the Certificate of Registration?

A. Yes, anyone who operates your drone must have the Certificate of Aircraft Registration in their possession. You can give them a paper copy, email it to them, or they can show it electronically from the registration website.

If the registration follows the person and not the aircraft, why are they suggesting it's ok for someone to use your registration when they are using it? That completely subverts what they are trying to do- and also allows for the bad actor framing scenarios that people were complaining were not possible/plausible.

(sarcasm)
I can fake a certificate and claim to be borrowing someone else's airframe when i oopsied and smashed into a school. Oh- i'm sorry officer, i didn't know gasoline and matches weren't a good idea to load as cargo- it's not like i registered and looked at all the warnings, i'm just borrowing it.

We should all just register as phantompilots.com and then "borrow" the registration whenever someone flies.
(/sarcasm)

Also I don't see the fee staying at 5 dollars. They are estimating it will cost 56 million to develop the system to handle this. Where is that money going to come from.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
This may be different but keep in mind that the GA registration fee has been at $5 since 1966. I don't see it as being the "Cash Cow" so many are expecting it to become.

Not sure why you think violation of a government registration is a civil matter. When you don't register your vehicle who enforces that requirement?

Yup. But because there are plenty of ******* Dons and ****** Rons out there who will not take responsibility and would deny that it was THEIR drone
that crashed, this is what the government is forced to do.
There have been discussions on this forum of this very topic - "do I really want to put my identification and contact info on my drone in case it causes damage or injuries?"

So, because of the actions of a very small minority, the vast majority who are safe, sane, and cause no problems have to deal with this crap? Sorry, I think that is the wrong way to go about it. Makes as much sense as requiring an ignition interlock in every car because some people might drive under the influence.

I put my name and phone on the bird with a big "REWARD" sticker because if I lose my $1200 toy, I want some chance of getting it back.

This doesn't accomplish anything except give the bureaucrats the claim they did something when all they did was put words on paper and spend money. Only idiots think someone is going to follow a registration rule that will get them pinched when they break a law.

If I decided that for some reason I needed to land on the south lawn of the White House or hover over final approach at LAX, I think it is a safe bet I am not putting my name and phone number on the bird or registering it either.

So how will this keep nefarious people from flying their craft onto the Whitehouse lawn or buzzing over a Stadium or whatever?

I'm not a criminal, but maybe their mind doesn't work quite the same way as mine does. In my mind, if I'm going to do something with my aircraft that might be illegal, or frowned upon by local or federal government agencies I'm pretty much going to guarantee my little sticker with my register number won't be on it. Makes tracking it pretty darn difficult.....

I guess they are really hoping to only catch the most stupid RC craft criminals that are out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl