Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

FAA registration question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frequent Flyer, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Frequent Flyer

One thing that puzzles me about FAA registration as it applies to Phantoms.

As I understand it, you can't even get your Phantom to work until you've registered it with DJI. Presumably, that registration links your Phantom's unique registration number with your name and address. This means, surely, that if your drone falls onto someone, etc, all the authorities have to do is contact DJI and they'll know who the owner is.

So wouldn't it save a lot of money if the FAA only required registration if drone owners aren't registered on another database, as Phantom owners are?

2. Mark The Droner

I am not sure why you think the FAA would be interested in contacting a Chinese company to find info which can be so much more easily accessible in their own database.

Welcome to the site!

Sagebrush likes this.
  3. N017RW

FAA registration is similar to an Amateur Radio license in that it is the Operator that is registered not the equipment.

4. Frequent Flyer

The point I was making was about traceability. If a drone causes an accident and the owner hasn't registered with the FAA, there isn't much chance of tracing the owner. However, sending the drone to DJI would be an easy way of tracing the owner, and since a Phantom has to be registered just to work, you'd think this would be foolproof.

So why wouldn't the FAA just rely on DJI registration rather than going to the trouble of a registration scheme it knows not every owner will comply with?

5. 10X

10X

You don't have to prove identity to register with DJI. You do with the FAA.

Dr. Klutz likes this.
  6. tcope

In addition to what was mentioned above, you really think the FAA registration is so the FAA can track drones? This is the fallacy sold to the public. It's real purpose is to make most drone fliers more accountable for their actions by _thinking_ they can be found by the Federal Government.

jlrsn and RedWhitePew like this.
  7. dronenut101

There's no way they will contact other private agencies

8. regdawg

Wait so a Phantom has to be registered with DJI before it will turn on? I didn't know that. So for those owners that bought the phantom BRAND NEW but sold it, their info is still tied to the phantom?

9. Gearbox

Mine worked before I told anyone I had one , DJI or FAA , I don't think I registered it with DJI until I crashed it .

10. Sagebrush

Call up DJI, tell them you're the sheriff of Mayberry, and ask them who owns the P3A with serial #XXX...

SB

11. Dr. Klutz

Also wondering what the benefits of doing the FAA thing????

12. QuadcopterCrazy

Not all hobbyists fly DJI products so yes there is still a need for the registration and yes you still have to register your Phantom, why would a Chinese company give into the American government in regards to providing information? IF DJI was an American company your argument might, MIGHT hold some weight.

13. Sagebrush

It would take a search warrant or a subpoena served on their U.S. corporate offices. Tell that to Andy Griffith in Mayberry.

SB

14. QuadcopterCrazy

Even then the Chinese company doesn't have to comply. The Search warrant means nothing to the Chinese government or company.

15. Sagebrush

It does on a corporation registered in the U.S. Been there.

SB

16. QuadcopterCrazy

Not if the company is in China, There is absolutely no chance that the FBI or any other U.S government agency could waltz into China and make them give up information.

Dr. Klutz likes this.
  17. Sagebrush

Here's the U.S. office where service of process takes place:
    818 W 7TH ST STE 930
    LOS ANGELES CA 90017

They're a registered corporation in California. All corporations must give a physical address for legal service.

SB

18. ems12a

I have had my Amature Radio license for over 20 years.

Do you think the FAA will follow the FCC and make ALL drone pilots get a license regardless of commercial or hobby use?

I could make an argument for this model. There ae going to be a lot of drones in the NAS and I would think the FAA would want to keep track of them.

19. QuadcopterCrazy

They already do that's pretty much what the registration is.

20. QuadcopterCrazy

The head quarters is in Shenzhen, Guangdong, China. The U.S has no authority over them there. They may have a 3rd party doing their business but their main office is in China as I said before the U.S government has no jurisdiction in China.

The U.S could ask them to give it up but that's all they could do is ask.