FAA registration or 333 exemption? or Both?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a newbie here and although there are quite a few threads about both topics above I'm not sure where to ask in the forum. However, I recently purchase my DJI P3P and looking to use it for my business for photog and video scenes but my question is should I register it as a hobbyist first since the deadline is in a month or so then apply for my 333 since it'll take some time. I guess my issue is I'm trying to be somewhat legit while I apply for my 333 exemption. Or should I not register as a hobbyist at all and just go for the gusto of applying for my 333 and wait it out. Thoughts/comments??

You'll needed to register as a hobbyist first since your 333 exemption will definitely not be approved before the February 19th deadline.

Also... seeing you are a newbie... you do know that the FAA currently requires that the person at the UAS controls have an actual pilot's license even if a 333 exemption is in place, right? Just making sure you know that.

You'll needed to register as a hobbyist first since your 333 exemption will definitely not be approved before the February 19th deadline.

Thanks msinger!

Also... seeing you are a newbie... you do know that the FAA currently requires that the person at the UAS controls have an actual pilot's license even if a 333 exemption is in place, right? Just making sure you know that.

MapMaker53 - Yes I do know that you need an actual pilot's license with 333 exemption, thanks for the heads up though.

Why not go ahead and register it as a commercial aircraft (FAA N#) and that's one step you'll have done for when you do apply and are granted your Section 333 Exemption. That's what I did. My 333 Exemption took 170 days and I have my aircraft registered using the N# system for 160 of those days.

That's my 2 cents and not legal advice.

BigAl07, that's a great idea if the FAA is able to process the aircraft and N-number registrations that quickly. I guess the OP could always submit those registrations and then register as a hobbyist at the last minute if they don't come through in time.

How fast is the N- number? I finally sold out and registered (I have other UAS including fixed wing) but I have a 333 exemption going as well....I think I will not mark my Phantom until the N number arrives. Also, I think I want to get some of that static cling stuff so I only have my N number on when doing commercial work...

I "reserved" my N# and didn't do the actual registration for a couple of weeks. From the time I put the form in the mail until I got the registration back in the mail was 10 days. It may be more now but it's probably not going to be anywhere near the 333 wait period.

I "reserved" my N# and didn't do the actual registration for a couple of weeks. From the time I put the form in the mail until I got the registration back in the mail was 10 days. It may be more now but it's probably not going to be anywhere near the 333 wait period.
Can you elaborate more on getting the N# and what the benefits are? I haven't heard that option before. So you're saying to register for a N# and not register as a hobbyist but if it doesn't show up in time register as a hobbyist then?

Can you elaborate more on getting the N# and what the benefits are?
You need an N-number to fly commercially. Hobbyists do not need an N-number.

Reactions: BigAl07
Can you elaborate more on getting the N# and what the benefits are? I haven't heard that option before. So you're saying to register for a N# and not register as a hobbyist but if it doesn't show up in time register as a hobbyist then?
The N# registration is what you use for a commercial UAS operation. It's the exact same process (as of this writing anyway) as a General Aviation registration. You fill out a form and mail it in and you get a tail# (N#) assigned to your aircraft. You apply the N# to the aircraft and you're good to go until time to renew.

Hobby registration is registering you as a hobbyist and you use the same # for all of your hobby aircraft. N# is aircraft specific. So if you use 3 different aircraft in your "Business" you would get an N# for each aircraft. It costs around $5 - $10 (depending on if you get a random N# or if you pick one from the ones available).

For complete transparency I only have 1 aircraft that I "currently" use for business so it has an N#. The rest of my aircraft are "hobby" aircraft and when I decide to register I will use the "hobby" portal to register myself and apply the same reg# to all of my non-commercial aircraft. My thoughts are that the N# on my commercial aircraft will suffice for that aircraft whether I am flying it commercially or for hobby so I will not be applying two set of registration #'s on that aircraft. Also all of my aircraft have always carried my full name, phone #, email address and AMA# on them in case of a lost aircraft or aircraft incident.

N number registration was relatively quick for me. It took about 2 weeks for me. Make sure you have all the correct paperwork and notaries when you submit your paperwork. You don't want them to have you correct your work which can make the process longer.

you do know that the FAA currently requires that the person at the UAS controls have an actual pilot's license even if a 333 exemption is in place,
Don't understand..what is the purpose of the exception then...I am checking FAA site, there are many applications, does it mean all these people requiring to operate inspires and phantoms already have a pilot's license?

does it mean all these people requiring to operate inspires and phantoms already have a pilot's license?
You do not need a pilot license in order to apply for a 333 exemption. It will be a requirement in your approved 333 exemption, so you'll need it when you're ready to use your exemption.

Don't understand..what is the purpose of the exception then...I am checking FAA site, there are many applications, does it mean all these people requiring to operate inspires and phantoms already have a pilot's license?
In order to "get/obtain" the exemption no.

In order to fly within the Section 33 Exemption Requirements then yes. The person operating the aircraft has to have a min of Sport Pilot certification.

The N# registration is what you use for a commercial UAS operation. It's the exact same process (as of this writing anyway) as a General Aviation registration. You fill out a form and mail it in and you get a tail# (N#) assigned to your aircraft. You apply the N# to the aircraft and you're good to go until time to renew.

Hobby registration is registering you as a hobbyist and you use the same # for all of your hobby aircraft. N# is aircraft specific. So if you use 3 different aircraft in your "Business" you would get an N# for each aircraft. It costs around $5 - $10 (depending on if you get a random N# or if you pick one from the ones available).

For complete transparency I only have 1 aircraft that I "currently" use for business so it has an N#. The rest of my aircraft are "hobby" aircraft and when I decide to register I will use the "hobby" portal to register myself and apply the same reg# to all of my non-commercial aircraft. My thoughts are that the N# on my commercial aircraft will suffice for that aircraft whether I am flying it commercially or for hobby so I will not be applying two set of registration #'s on that aircraft. Also all of my aircraft have always carried my full name, phone #, email address and AMA# on them in case of a lost aircraft or aircraft incident.

Thanks BigAl07 on the explanation, it makes sense to me now but why is everyone trying to get a 333 exp certification if you can register it with N# and not have to go through the 333 exp ordeal? To me, there seems like 2 options here, or no? I have a P3P and will be using it for real estate marketing so I'm trying to go the easiest and legit way while not having to wait that long.

I'm trying to go the easiest and legit way while not having to wait that long.
There is only one legit way. And, that involves getting a 333 exemption.

Thanks BigAl07 on the explanation, it makes sense to me now but why is everyone trying to get a 333 exp certification if you can register it with N# and not have to go through the 333 exp ordeal? To me, there seems like 2 options here, or no? I have a P3P and will be using it for real estate marketing so I'm trying to go the easiest and legit way while not having to wait that long.

For commercial activity you are supposed to do both. You have to register each UAV you plan to use and get an N number for each with the paper form. You also have to file for the 333 exemption as well. That will give you a blanket COA (certificate of authority) for a lot of commercial flying, but if you go outside of it you have to get additional COAs for those circumstances....

For commercial activity you are supposed to do both. You have to register each UAV you plan to use and get an N number for each with the paper form. You also have to file for the 333 exemption as well. That will give you a blanket COA (certificate of authority) for a lot of commercial flying, but if you go outside of it you have to get additional COAs for those circumstances....
Got it. So I need to do both 333 and register to get a N#? Does anyone have the link readily available for the N#? And are there any templates I can use from someone or is it pretty easy/straightforward?

Reactions: BigAl07
Technically when you fill out the form for an "N" number you use the pink copy as a temporary registration. From the Aircraft Registration Information on the 8050-1 form "The pink copy is temporary authority to operate the aircraft".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers