FAA REGISTRATION IS SIMPLE

Please give me the number format so later I can try putting in random number and pulled someone's registeration info. For example, is it two letters followed by five numbers, etc. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: aka1ceman
AANAANAAAA

I'm an AMA member, but saw no downside in registering, as the reasons the AMA gives for advising us to hold off are silly .... at best:

"Holding off on registration will allow AMA time to fully consider all possible options. On a parallel track, it also allows AMA to complete ongoing conversations with the FAA about how best to streamline the registration process for our members."
... makes no sense and to me, and offers no substantial reason as to why not to register while they "work in parallel".
And I want to ensure I get the "early $5 back", so I reg'd yesterday. ;)

I'm not sure what "options" they are referring to, but I think anyone can see that the FAA will not capitulate on the drone part of the regulations.
More likely they are getting ready to offer more compliance with drone restrictions (throw us under the buss) in order to save other forms of RC flying.

Maybe the AMA leadership/committee thinks that if many people register, that their appeal process will be made moot,and leave them impotent to toss us under the buss in a trade.
But the explanation they give makes it sound like they would be too distracted (???) by people registering, to the point that they couldn't carry on their "ongoing conversations".
I just don't buy that at all.

Their other explanation of making it more streamlined is just totally lame.
It's a very easy streamlined process as it is.
But it looks good in print .... ;)

And finally .. although I am a member of the AMA, that's because I don't trust them to best represent my 'drone flying' interests, and as a member I have some influence on AMA leadership by voting the 'non-aggressively pro-drone' leadership out.
You need to be a member to be able to do that.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
You are making a mountain out of a mole hill with your "borrowing" scheme. You don't think if you did something nefarious, made a mistake or had an accident with a drone that had a "borrowed" number on it, they wouldn't find you? It would be easy, no matter what you had labeled on your aircraft. You would have to plan and take some extensive precautions to NOT get caught if something happened.

The other end of the spectrum is if someone grabbed your number and used it, you could easily prove it wasn't you, in about 5 seconds. Again, it would take some serious planning to implicate someone else "Gone Girl" style. You sound like a broken record , Gadget Guy.

SD
Apparently, my intended sarcasm isn't coming across. My bad. My whole point is that assigning a registration number to a drone pilot and expecting every drone in the air to contain its pilot's registration number is a flawed system. The rogue drones causing all the problems won't have the pilot's reg# inside them because the pilot will either:
1. Not put their reg# inside, even if they are registered
2. Never register themselves at all
3. Put a reg# inside belonging to someone else that was posted on the internet, to divert attention from themselves
4. Deny ownership and claim someone stole their reg#

Under (3.), Just because it may be easy for the true reg# owner to prove that they weren't piloting the drone, it still will not establish who the real pilot was, which is supposed to be the primary purpose behind registration. It's not about framing someone, although that makes a nice prank. It's about being able to easily circumvent the system to still completely avoid all responsibility for rogue drones, because the nefarious rogue pilot still cannot be identified!

It's a flawed system that will never accomplish its intended purpose.

The registration process is simple and there's "no excuse" not to abide by this requirement. The people that intentionally avoid registering will likely turn out to be those that create headaches down the road for the rest of us. Aside from the aforementioned registration requirement, common sense should be included as well.
Exactly. The real bad guys will just never bother to register. They still won't be caught, because you won't be able to find them or recover their aircraft, because they fly from far away and only fly DIY drones made from untraceable parts.

You are required to use a charge card to register. Unless you are using a stolen charge card it would be easy to find you if needed.
$5 gift Visa cards that can and should be used instead are readily available at any grocery store for $5 in cash.

No need to carry it around in your wallet is there? Just want to make sure I didn't miss something and the last thing I need is something else in my wallet.
Actually, while flying, upon demand from a law enforcement officer or an FAA or DOT representative, you are required to produce either a paper copy or an electronic copy of the registration certificate on your tablet, but it can also be that of a "friend" from whom you are "borrowing" the aircraft to fly it (absurd, but that's exactly what the FAQ says!).

Based upon the published reg#'s so far, the sequence is
FA********, where the 8 asterisks can be any capital letter or number.
That allows for 2.82 trillion unique reg#'s!

I'm sorry, but I just don't get the brouhaha about registration...I'm retired military, pay state and federal taxes, and drive a car with license plates that have my name registered against that car...I have a state drivers license with my name and address on it. All of this information is available to any law enforcement agency out there. Uncle Sam ALREADY has all my information. And as long as he remembers me on the 1st of each month, all will be good. Other than a few good beer discussions, not registering presents more potential problems than registering. I can work for months trying to skirt the law and try to remember which lie I'm on, or spend 3 minutes complying and giving them information they already have. Since I don't have any desire flying my P3P near an incoming United flight or strafe the local high school football game, I think it will be just fine...

Reactions: EddieM and bobomet
They now have my name and address. If somebody wants to search my number and find my address maybe that's going to end up being a be FAA sponsored lost and found.
It's very easy to go back to your profile and edit your personal information and put in a fake address or even change your name (for those that are worried their personal info is so readily available).
IMHO, as long as you have your registration # on your Phantom, and the PDF certificate on your phone or printed with you, you'll be good to go if stopped.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I registered today too. The online process is very smooth and easy. I'm happy to operate above board, and would even like to one day be using a transponder for easy FAA Ident.

Easy? maybe... but worthless.
The FAA registration site specifically says that you can only use the web registration if you do NOT intend to fly it outside the US.
If you do, you need a paper registration.

Going to Canada, to the Caribbean islands, any other place in the world? - you will need a paper registration!

I honestly don't understand how this is managed, but it definitely is not fully thought out....
Will a police officer in Wales ask to see my INTERNATIONAL FAA registration?
There are not even international treaties yet on UAV operations...

I wish it was easy, and I wish it made sense....

Easy? maybe... but worthless.
The FAA registration site specifically says that you can only use the web registration if you do NOT intend to fly it outside the US.
If you do, you need a paper registration.

Going to Canada, to the Caribbean islands, any other place in the world? - you will need a paper registration!

I honestly don't understand how this is managed, but it definitely is not fully thought out....
Will a police officer in Wales ask to see my INTERNATIONAL FAA registration?
There are not even international treaties yet on UAV operations...

I wish it was easy, and I wish it made sense....
Have you ever operated a motor vehicle in another country? Your argument suggests you have lived a very narrow, and limited, life so far ....

why is that!!
It's because Americans have allowed themselves to be made fools of by "news" people who actually represent giant multi-national corporations who make $$$ by scaring the bejesus out of simple-minded people. Americans are afraid of everything .... bad and good.

How do u get free? I was charged 5.00
It was never free. The FAA lied in all their marketing. If you used your personal CC as part of the "authentication" process, the FAA will, at some unspecified time in the future, issue a $5 credit to that card for being so gullible as to trust them with your personal credit card. Apparently, people will sell their souls to the devil for a lousy $5 credit. No one who has flown their drone before Dec 21 is even requred to register before Feb 19 next year, and then only before they fly again after Feb 19. This is a $5 bribe to get you to register 2 months before you have any requirement to register anything!

How do u get free? I was charged 5.00
Dunno the exact mechanism they’ll use but if you register before January 21, 2016 you’re supposed to have the $5 refunded.

Reactions: WISPP MEDIA

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20