FAA registration and form AC Form 8050-1

Any Aussie operators watching this thread?
I have been online checking the certification stuff for NSW Australia - in relation to drones ( term they use) under 2kg. My head is spinning faster than any P3 Prop just now.
Then I got to this:

The complexity alone raises doubts about both the effectiveness of the current regulatory framework's transference and deterrent effects on irresponsible behaviour by the operators of small drones. Given the almost complete absence of enforcement in relation to the operation of mini- and micro-drones, and CASA's public statements exonerating itself of responsibility, regulatory failure is clearly evident.

It seems NSW amended it rules to allow "small business" top operate drones under 2kg without any licencing - or have I got it wrong??
My first thoughts were that this "mini de-regulation" was to aid the houseing market - which is using quad operators to overfly some of the more expensive "mansions ". ( Propably to attract overseas buyers who want to see more than a few photo's on realestate.com!)

Any aussies know anything about this amendment???

It is the same form you will use when you renew the registration. For a new registration, leave it blank.

Thanks Steve, I did get confirmation that my reserved N #'s are indeed reserved for me. I will add a little note with my application stating that I want to use my reserved numbers.

Ah, I have my N number and I only submitted an Email invoice...
I have my 333exemption and am filling out the 8050-1 to register, am I to leave the line for the N number blank as I don't have one? Also you said you used an Email invoice, so the order confirmation I received from DJI would be accepted? Thanks!

How long did it take to get your exemption? I've been waiting since August.
July 10th (submitted)
Nov 4th (posted to public docket)
Dec 23rd (granted)
Dec 30th (USPS delivered FAA envelope with Section 333 grant approval inside)

Ironically mine is still showing as "Pending" on the public docket.

July 10th (submitted)
Nov 4th (posted to public docket)
Dec 23rd (granted)
Dec 30th (USPS delivered FAA envelope with Section 333 grant approval inside)

Ironically mine is still showing as "Pending" on the public docket.
lol, mine is as well.

[Breaking News] FAA Opens Online Commercial sUAS Registration
by Alan Perlman on March 31, 2016
It’s been a big week for the commercial sUAS industry here in the United States.

On Tuesday, the FAA doubled the “blanket” COA altitude from 200 feet to 400 feet, and just this morning, they’re now bringing the commercial aircraft registration process online.

Why is this a big deal?

Because up until today, sUAS pilots would use the FAA’s legacy Form 8050-1 registration process out of Oklahoma City, OK. They’d have to fill out a paper form, mail it in, and wait a few weeks to hear back.

That paper process still exists, but only if you’re required to do so under the following guidelines:

• Your Aircraft weighs more than 55 lbs
  • You intend to operate your aircraft outside of the United States
  • Your aircraft is owned by a trustee
  • The aircraft owner uses a voting trust to meet U.S. Citizenship requirements
  • You are required by a Section 333 Exemption or a certificate of waiver or authorization
Meaning, for the vast majority of commercial sUAS pilots going through or planning to go through the Section 333 Exemption process, it’s now MUCH easier to register your aircraft.

Wahoo!

faa-commerial-drone-registration.png

Note: Those owners who already have registered in the legacy system do not have to re-register in the new system.

This is a huge step forward for the sUAS industry. Congratulations to the FAA for continuing to improve the regulatory environment. I look forward to more updates over the next few months.

I went ahead and included the full press release below, which you can also read here.

Figures. I just put my paper application for registration in the mail two hours ago for my second sUA. Don't have my 333 exemption yet but why would that exemption require a paper registration? And how long does it take to get your N number when you do an online registration?

Andrew

I just registered mine online took just minutes. About same time as doing the hobby registration. Registered both ways now just awaiting my 333!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Glad in Australia we don't have to worry about this

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik