FAA registration and form AC Form 8050-1

Reaction score
I need to register my Phantom 3 Professional and I'm looking for some help from anyone who has gone through the process. The registration form itself looks pretty straight forward but how did you complete this part

-A full description of the sUA provided by the manufacturer, builder or applicant in a signed letter or statement.
  • Full Legal Name of UA Manufacturer or Builder
  • sUA Model Designation
  • sUA Serial Number
  • Class (Airplane, Airship, Rotorcraft, Gyroplane, Ducted Fan)
  • sUA Maximum Takeoff Weight
  • Category (Land, Sea, or Both)
  • Name of Engine Manufacturer
  • Engine Model Designation
  • Engine Serial-Numbers (if none shown, enter 'none')
  • Number of Engines
  • Engine Power Output (given in HP or Lbs. Thrust)
  • Engine Type (2 or 4 Cycle Reciprocating, Electric,
    Turbo - Fan/Prop/Shaft/Jet)

And how did you go about providing proof of ownership?

Thanks

Andrew

Go on you tube. Search "how to apply for 333 exemption" excellent tutorial. Also addresses your questions. You don't have an invoice or receipt of purchade?

Reactions: Vandrel
And how did you go about providing proof of ownership?
The FAA will only accept a bill of sale signed in ink (AC Form 8050-2). Everyone who sold your Phantom must complete that form.

Your statement about the FAA only accepting a bill of sale signed in ink seems to be in conflict with their informaiton provided on what to do with 'off the shelf' purchases...

"However, the FAA recognizes that bills of sale may not be available for sUA that have been in operation since before sUA registration became necessary or for sUA that were purchased as off-the-shelf items from a retail shop, or internet retailer not associated with the builder or manufacturer.
When a bill of sale or other transfer of ownership document is unobtainable, the applicant may provide for consideration a notarized statement that:
  • identifies the subject sUA by the builder's full name, its model designation and serial number,
  • identifies undocumented transfers to the extent possible by the date they occurred, the purchaser's name, as well as the name and location (city & country) of the person, company, or vendor that sold the sUA.
  • explains why any missing transfers of ownership are unavailable.
  • describes the other evidence provided with the notarized statement like an invoice, sales receipt or witness statement that proves the transfer of ownership took place. This alternative evidence is especially important when documenting the transfer of ownership to the applicant.
  • certifies, to the best of the applicants knowledge that; the information provided is correct, the described UA is not currently registered in another country, and the undersigned is the aircraft's rightful owner."
Andrew

Reactions: III% Streve
Your statement about the FAA only accepting a bill of sale signed in ink seems to be in conflict with their informaiton provided on what to do with 'off the shelf' purchases...
And, your quoted statement seems to be in conflict with a letter I received from the FAA...

FAA.jpg

Interesting that their letter to you conflicts with their most recent online information. Wonder if their requirements have been adjusted since you submitted your request for registration? How did you resolve this?

Thanks
Anrdrew

I sent one in about a month ago. They will accept the store receipt, but they want a notarized affidavit of ownership as well. Mine's come back twice so far. First time i didn't type my name under the signature. Second time, i didn't list DJI as the amateur builder.

Interesting that their letter to you conflicts with their most recent online information.
And this surprises you?
The letter is coming from the tech who is going to rubber-stamp your registration, so even if it isn't within their published guidelines, it's the most expedient method.

There are examples of the FAA field personnel not knowing the rules and even making them up on the spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: J.James
I have built a couple of kit quads that will be on my exemption if and when I get it. I do not have receipts for them, how should I handle this?

"However, the FAA recognizes that bills of sale may not be available for sUA that have been in operation since before sUA registration became necessary or for sUA that were purchased as off-the-shelf items from a retail shop, or internet retailer not associated with the builder or manufacturer.
When a bill of sale or other transfer of ownership document is unobtainable, the applicant may provide for consideration a notarized statement that:
  • identifies the subject sUA by the builder's full name, its model designation and serial number,
  • identifies undocumented transfers to the extent possible by the date they occurred, the purchaser's name, as well as the name and location (city & country) of the person, company, or vendor that sold the sUA.
  • explains why any missing transfers of ownership are unavailable.
  • describes the other evidence provided with the notarized statement like an invoice, sales receipt or witness statement that proves the transfer of ownership took place. This alternative evidence is especially important when documenting the transfer of ownership to the applicant.
  • certifies, to the best of the applicants knowledge that; the information provided is correct, the described UA is not currently registered in another country, and the undersigned is the aircraft's rightful owner."
Andrew
Where did this info come from?? Thanks

Is there any reason not to register a copter before we get the 333 exemption?
Not really, other than save time and be ready when you get the 333. I am hoping to receive my 333 next month but my N-number is already on my bird, one less thing to worry about.

Not really, other than save time and be ready when you get the 333. I am hoping to receive my 333 next month but my N-number is already on my bird, one less thing to worry about.

Thanks. I will do it this week, how long did it take to get yours once mailed in?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers