Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

FAA records detail hundreds of close calls between airplanes and drones

Discussion in 'News' started by Larry D., Aug 20, 2015.

1. Larry D.

2. JKDSensei

I call Bull-oney on 99.99 percent of these "drone close calls".

After about 150ft it's hard to make out what that tiny "dot" is unless you have Superman vision....ESPECIALLY when the plane is moving at 150 - 300 feet PER SECOND. So it'd have to have been REALLY close to see it in the first place and then the pilot would have to have seen it whizzing by at speeds difficult for the human eye to perceive so quickly.

Now then, if there were THAT many flying around airports and close calls / near misses, there'd have been many documented collisions by now.

Hysteria and media hype. Stupid media.

3. Larry D.

I agree - Absolutely Media Hype! But there are a lot of A##holes out there with controllers in their hands...

JKDSensei likes this.
  4. JKDSensei

Yes sir. make no mistake you are spot on.
    Sadly, one of them WILL eventually make the news BIG time

Larry D. and jryser like this.
  5. robsquad

when you think about it people set fires to watch the fire crew deal with it
    makes you wonder dont it ?

6. jryser

A huge combo of both. An over vigilant public driven by media bias because of a few idiots.

I was using my UAV to film self footage of me posting my property. The P3P was at my height facing me. Hillbilly neighbor drives by all panicked that I'm spying on him (and proceeded with typical redneck rhetoric "that comes near my place and I'm shootin' that f'er down"). Fortunately I was able to educate him and used the moment to show him what I filmed. Went from paranoid to asking if I would send him an aerial of his trailer! I declined citing true respect for his boundaries and finished filming. But it did open a once closed mind. THAT is how we will dispel the bullsh*t media. Flying responsibly and educating.

Sent from my PT beating heart

Larry D. and JKDSensei like this.
  7. JKDSensei

If you could explain this I would appreciate it. Im sure it makes sense but I missed the angle.
    thanks

8. robsquad

people flying drones to cause an accident would not surprise me
    people do set fires so they can watch the fire crews come out to deal with it, sad i know but a fact of life

edit, im dyslexic and bad at explaining things, there is a word but if it aint in my book i am not going to try to spell it, sorry

JKDSensei likes this.
  9. JKDSensei

Ok. I sure hope there aren't many like that out there but you never know. Never thought about that angle.
    Thanks

10. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

Is pyromaniac what ya looking for rob. They are out there !!
    Not in my book ether but Siri told me how to spell it :cool:

11. BlackHawk388

**** like this just pisses me off. NOT talking about you, OP. Just the topic in general.

There is a given segment of society who will actually listen to this bullshit. The people who clean my house once every couple of weeks are a fine example. Even though they know my stance on Quad's and other R/C aircraft, they both constantly worry about all of these "reports" in the news about "sightings" of "drones" by airline pilots.

I've never been one to feed into conspiracy theories. Most of them are pure BS IMHO. However, this is one of those things I just cannot accept as truth. All these pilots saying they've seen "drones" flying in their airspace. I think it's bullshit and a concerted effort to destroy our hobby.

Luckily, here in the United States, it requires a LOT more proof than just PIREPS to give something credence.

snerd, Larry D. and jryser like this.
  12. Larry D.

13. JohnK

One HUGE thing we can do is invite inquisitive people to view our monitor screens, and then maybe even fly back in so they see themselves (ask them if they would want to see this). I have had 100% success with this ... so far.

But let's not be ignorantly defensive and pretend that jerks aren't flying near airports. I live in NY, and I can tell you only a fool would believe that NO ONE is flying near JFK. How often do we read threads here about people wanting to hack no fly zones and exceed the 500m altitude limitation?

jryser likes this.
  14. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nowhere near as many as is being suggested.

15. 750r

I'm a redneck/hillbilly do not shun us all because of one moron who be leaves the media :(:p

jryser likes this.
  16. jryser

750r I'm a TOTAL hillbilly!!! I'm just not an A-hole! Well most of the time...
    A little suburban Indiana sunset time lapse for us all to enjoy!!

Sent from my PT beating heart

750r likes this.