FAA Part 107 Test & Certificate

Reaction score
I am new to Drones. In fact the drone that I purchased (P3P) has yet to arrive at my home. I have been doing research and watching how to videos on every topic on our drones so I may become real familiar with the machine, how to set it up and fly as well as managing the technical side in software. So I have been real busy studying and learning for the past two weeks.

Now I purchased the drone for 2 purposes.

1. Recreational photography for me and my family camping, fishing and driving our buggy's and 4 wheeler's around.

2. For my Real Estate Business to take video and pictures of my clients home to market their property to the best ability and keep up with the market trends.

I know all of this FAA regulations and guidelines are really new and I read up on the history and where we stand today as of the new regulations that came out in August of this year.

So as of today, I understand I need to register my drone with the FAA via their website for a $5 fee and will receive a reg number that must be placed on any and all of my drones I will fly.

I also understand that I will need to take the FAA 107 test in order to use my drone in a commercial setting since I would like to use my drone for real estate purposes.

So, has anybody gone through the process of taking the 107 test? I see the FAA now has a 107 test course that you can take in order to get your 107. Has anybody gone through the course, and if so, could you be so kind to discuss the process?

Safer Skies Through Education - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

If nobody has taken the course through the FAA, it looks like I will be a guinea pig and will be more then happy to give step by step instructions on going through this pilot program that is in its infant stages!

Do you like alfalfa pellets? I am considering the 107 fire walk. See you on the other side Luke skywalker....

I am new to Drones. In fact the drone that I purchased (P3P) has yet to arrive at my home. I have been doing research and watching how to videos on every topic on our drones so I may become real familiar with the machine, how to set it up and fly as well as managing the technical side in software. So I have been real busy studying and learning for the past two weeks.

Now I purchased the drone for 2 purposes.

1. Recreational photography for me and my family camping, fishing and driving our buggy's and 4 wheeler's around.

2. For my Real Estate Business to take video and pictures of my clients home to market their property to the best ability and keep up with the market trends.

I know all of this FAA regulations and guidelines are really new and I read up on the history and where we stand today as of the new regulations that came out in August of this year.

So as of today, I understand I need to register my drone with the FAA via their website for a $5 fee and will receive a reg number that must be placed on any and all of my drones I will fly.

I also understand that I will need to take the FAA 107 test in order to use my drone in a commercial setting since I would like to use my drone for real estate purposes.

So, has anybody gone through the process of taking the 107 test? I see the FAA now has a 107 test course that you can take in order to get your 107. Has anybody gone through the course, and if so, could you be so kind to discuss the process?

Safer Skies Through Education - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

If nobody has taken the course through the FAA, it looks like I will be a guinea pig and will be more then happy to give step by step instructions on going through this pilot program that is in its infant stages!
I've done the 107 test and passed on the first shot. Just use the study guide the FAA provides and you'll do fine. It is a serious test and requires a considerable amount of studying so don't take it lightly. After you pass your test and get your temporary certificate (about a week or so later) it will take about 30 to 60 days to get your final certificate in the mail. You will then be required to register your drone for commercial use, you will get a new FA#.

The study guide is a good basis
, but you'll need material from other sources to fillin gaps in areas such as reading sectional charts and weather reports. Look back a couple of months at all the post that we generated on study material sources. Most, if not all, the material you need can be downloaded from a number of sites for free.

I agree there is a lot of free information out there and if you study it all you will have no problems with the test. I elected to take a 2 day 107 course, then take the 107 exam. My 2 day course cost $275.00 and the exam cost $150.00. There are dozens of online courses out there for a lot less then I paid. If you don't pass the exam the first time you can take it again after a short wait (1 week I think) for another $150.00 charge. If you are a certificate pilot I don't think you need the course just get the study guide and you should be good to go. I took the course because I didn't want to pay to take the test again and the free information will drown you in study material - it is designed for part 61 pilots and you don't need most of it. My problem was I didn't know what I needed and didn't need. Only missed one question after the course. I'm happy as a tick on a dogs back.

Ok, here is where we are at now.

I had to register with the Federal Aviation Administration first. After doing so, you can enroll into the free online course to prep for the 107 test. The course will take you a couple of hours. It took me 3 hours as I wrote down a lot of notes. Throughout the class, there will be some check point exams to make sure you are understanding stuff. At the end it gets confusing. You have to Exit out of the classroom and go back to your home page. When you reclick on the class you are currently taking, you then are able to select on taking the exam. The exam is 35 questions and it was harder then I thought it was. I made sure to have all of my notes available just in case I needed them. I got 2 answers wrong on the first go around and you get to re answer the incorrect ones. Once I chose the right answer and submitted I passed the test and the class.

Now I need to schedule with my local Knowledge Testing Center to go down and take the official test! I will follow up as soon as I get more info.

I agree there is a lot of free information out there and if you study it all you will have no problems with the test. I elected to take a 2 day 107 course, then take the 107 exam. My 2 day course cost $275.00 and the exam cost $150.00. There are dozens of online courses out there for a lot less then I paid. If you don't pass the exam the first time you can take it again after a short wait (1 week I think) for another $150.00 charge. If you are a certificate pilot I don't think you need the course just get the study guide and you should be good to go. I took the course because I didn't want to pay to take the test again and the free information will drown you in study material - it is designed for part 61 pilots and you don't need most of it. My problem was I didn't know what I needed and didn't need. Only missed one question after the course. I'm happy as a tick on a dogs back.

Was that a local course offered that you took I assume? How many questions are on the official test? The 2 day class that you took obviously gave all the material that you needed in order to be successful in taking the test. Did you have to attend the class or was it online? The same for the master test, did you take that in the class or online? Thanks

I wouldn't pay money, and didn't, to take a course when there are so many free on-line help guides.

First, buy yourself a copy of the sectional chart for the area where you live. You can get it for $7.50 from several online dealers. Learn how to read it from this web site:
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/fli...aero_guide/media/Chart_Users_Guide_12thEd.pdf

Don't just look at the chart - study it to the point where you know it, because you will see sectional chart questions on the exam. Study it while waiting for a pizza, while waiting for the barber, while watching a boring TV show.

One of the exam's most difficult concepts is categorization of air space. Use Google to find several good websites that focus on air space.

Here are the two web sites I found most useful to study for the FAA Part 107 Knowledge Test. The first has 8 study modules in all:
Sarah Nilsson - UAG Test Prep - 1
Part 107 Remote Pilot Resource Center – Resources for future and current part 107 certified remote pilots
This one is also very good: www.jrupprechtlaw.com

The Test has 60 questions and took me 1.5 hours. I passed with an 85% because several questions came directly out of left field. I wondered where in the heck I was supposed to have read about their concepts? My plastic Remote Pilot's card came in the mail seven weeks after I took the test.

Last edited:
Was that a local course offered that you took I assume? How many questions are on the official test? The 2 day class that you took obviously gave all the material that you needed in order to be successful in taking the test. Did you have to attend the class or was it online? The same for the master test, did you take that in the class or online? Thanks
If I remeber correctly there were 60 questions on the test. All tests are different, my friend took it at the same time as I did and he got a totally different set of questions.

I wouldn't pay money, and didn't, to take a course when there are so many free on-line help guides.

First, buy yourself a copy of the sectional chart for the area where you live. You can get it for $7.50 from several online dealers. Learn how to read it from this web site:
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/fli...aero_guide/media/Chart_Users_Guide_12thEd.pdf

Don't just look at the chart - study it to the point where you know it, because you will see sectional chart questions on the exam. Study it while waiting for a pizza, while waiting for the barber, while watching a boring TV show.

One of the exam's most difficult concepts is categorization of air space. Use Google to find several good websites that focus on air space.

Here are the two web sites I found most useful to study for the FAA Part 107 Knowledge Test. The first has 8 study modules in all:
Sarah Nilsson - UAG Test Prep - 1
Part 107 Remote Pilot Resource Center – Resources for future and current part 107 certified remote pilots
This one is also very good: www.jrupprecht.law

The Test has 60 questions and took me 2.5 hours. I passed with an 85% because several questions came directly out of left field. I wondered where in the heck I was supposed to have read about their concepts? My plastic Remote Pilot's card came in the mail seven weeks after I took the test.

Awesome, thanks so much for the information guys. I paid for Phoenix Arizona Sectional Chart and its on its way. I also downloaded the guide to use the sectional chart so when I get my chart I will make a cheat sheet for everything on the chart.

So the test cost $150 and the test has 60 questions on it and should take me around 3 hours tops to take. Do I call to schedule to take the test or do you just show up?

Actually, the test has 40 questions (with 70% required to pass) and you have to pre-register through the CATS system FAA test, Private Pilot Exam & Aviation Test | CATS. They will schedule you with a local (hopefully) testing center. Rather than buy a sectional, download the sectional guide (https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/fli...aero_guide/media/Chart_Users_Guide_12thEd.pdf)
pilots handbook to study along with the various study materials already mentioned. And really study, the FAA wont give you trick questions, but they can be detailed and will require careful reading. If you have no aeronautical experience, its going to take you some time to get the material down to where you can pass the test. Remember, if you don't pass, you have to re-register (and pay the $150 again) to retake the test!

Test has 60 multiple choice questions, you have 2 hrs to take it. I took a small standard calculator.

Examiner wouldn't let me take my little calculator into the exam, and I didn't need one as it turned out.
Sure, you can download the sectional chart, but the paper copy is a lot more convenient to study, say when you are sitting on the can.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Examiner wouldn't let me take my little calculator into the exam. Sure, you can download the sectional chart, but the paper copy is a lot more convenient to study, say when you are sitting on the can.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I agree which is why I purchased it instead. But I am really curious, what are we using the calculator for? As a Fire Engineer, I used calcs all day long for water flow and pressures. In college I went up the ranks in Calc, Algebra, statistics and the rest of the stuff I never use. Just curious what we are using the calc for?

I agree which is why I purchased it instead. But I am really curious, what are we using the calculator for? As a Fire Engineer, I used calcs all day long for water flow and pressures. In college I went up the ranks in Calc, Algebra, statistics and the rest of the stuff I never use. Just curious what we are using the calc for?
Pretty simple stuff like figuring an aircraft's apparent weight based on load factor. Other than that, not much math on the test.

The FAA's course (ALC-451) is just for existing manned aircraft pilots. It skips most of the material that will appear on your full test.

Take this free practice test and see how you do:

FAA Part 107 Ground School

Test has 60 multiple choice questions, you have 2 hrs to take it. I took a small standard calculator.
Right,v60 questions (my mistake in an earlier post). My examine site had calculators in the testing room, no outside calculators allowed.

I also took a magnifying glass with me, I didn't need though. Charts were pretty easy to read. A friend told me to take one just in case. Cats had no problem with it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20