FAA Overstates Drone Problem

Reaction score
The FAA had released information that there was something like 700 "close calls" with air planes. They did this to try and justify why they didn't follow the required law of 30-60 days public comment time before enacting a mandate.

After an Analysis, it was found that actually there were only 27. Sounds like a lot, and I don't mean to down play those 27 times.

However, last year there were 99,000 flights per DAY. That is 36 Million flights per year. That is .000075% of flights.

That isn't a big problem. That is a problem that does need to be dealt with, but not by the government not following its own laws.

To put those 27 times in context with other dangers. In 2009, there were 1489 laser events logged with the FAA.

Do you have to register to buy a laser pointer???

I personally have always tried to fly responsibly. I realize some don't but that is no reason for our own government to break their own laws.

I have also seen arguments by people that state, "why should they care if the government has their information?" People point out that peoples address used to be in the white pages of the phone book.

That is a poor point. A, because there is no quick indexing tool for phonebooks. B, when white pages were popular there wasn't such a problem with identity theft as there is today.

Another argument is that peoples data on when they bought a house is public. I have issues with that. It also sets up a situation for fraud.

To put the above in context, just because this happens, does it mean that everything else is okay? I will give you this example. If you caught your kids doing drugs, and he or she said everyone else was doing it, would that make it okay?

My final point for now is that the government has proven they can not manage peoples personal data. 22.1 million peoples security clearance info was stolen.

The Analysis of the "Close Calls" is below.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/gov/docs/AMAAnalysis-Closer-Look-at-FAA-Drone-Data_091415.pdf

Reactions: NRJ and FotoGeek
Interesting stuff. But, you're preaching to the choir.

Reactions: FotoGeek
I have no intentions of registering my quads since i only fly on my own private property,not around other people over 400'.
Its no different than an ATV you use on your own property,you don,t have register any off road vehicle as long as you use it on your own property,just stay off public roads or land and there is no law broken,.
Law enforcement here in south dakota have better things to do than to bother someone doing something on there own property.I think (my opinion) most states are going to look the other way when it comes to doing things on private property,that are not bothering other people.
The FAA is relying on local law enforcement to make this work,so be nice fly responsibly and there won't be a problem with local law coming down on you,just a phase the gov. Going thru it will pass just like CB thing did in the 70's.
Hope i didn't upset anyone here ,i really enjoy all the stuff to read out here.
Happy new year

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl