FAA officially calls us "operators" --- NOT "pilots"

Meta4 said:
You're welcome to use whatever term you choose but I can't see UAV Operator catching on.
It's just clunky.

"UAV Operator" is more clunky than "pilot" but it's also dead-on-balls accurate in describing us and our toys.

I don't like the media and public using the word "drone" so I'd prefer the more accurate term "UAS" or "UAV". Clunky but accurate.

Fine by me. Pilots put in hundreds of hours of flight time, a considerable amount of money, and testing to become pilots legally. I think its an insult to them and how hard they worked to just arbitrarily officially call someone who operates an RC a pilot unless they have the credidentials to actually be one. If we want t call ourselves and each other pilots then fine, but no matter how bad we want to be actual pilots we arent. My grandfather flew bombers over Germany and my uncle was shot down in Vietnam and is MIA. They were pilots. The FAA has no obligation to consider us pilots.

Edit,
Worded that a little wrong. I dont have a problem with us calling each other pilots, thats fine, but in no way should we be considered pilots by the FAA unless we have a real pilots license. Maybe one day their will be pilots licenses issued specifically for drone operators, which I think would be kind of cool.

We're not going to have Correct Terminology Police, are we? I vote no on that.

DKDarkness said:
Didn't even bother to read all the posts. Life is too short. Let's compromise:

GPS mode = drone observer
Atti mode = drone operator
Manual mode = drone pilot

+1 awesome

MadMitch88 said:
But since I agree with you that a Phantom is not an aircraft --- then I assume you must agree that we are not pilots.

Where did you get the idea that a Phantom is not an aircraft? It is defined as such for hobby use by section 336 of P.L. 112-95 and also by the FAA for commercial use.

ccase39 said:
Fine by me. Pilots put in hundreds of hours of flight time, a considerable amount of money, and testing to become pilots legally. I think its an insult to them and how hard they worked to just arbitrarily officially call someone who operates an RC a pilot unless they have the credidentials to actually be one. If we want t call ourselves and each other pilots then fine, but no matter how bad we want to be actual pilots we arent. My grandfather flew bombers over Germany and my uncle was shot down in Vietnam and is MIA. They were pilots. The FAA has no obligation to consider us pilots.

Edit,
Worded that a little wrong. I dont have a problem with us calling each other pilots, thats fine, but in no way should we be considered pilots by the FAA unless we have a real pilots license. Maybe one day their will be pilots licenses issued specifically for drone operators, which I think would be kind of cool.
:lol:
I find it ridiculous to argue semantics like this. I have friends who fly balloons, hang gliders, ultralights, helicopters, boats, and airplanes.

Manned or not the person in control is the pilot.

MHL

121.jpg

:roll:
I sponsor Special Olympics. Idaho Chapter.

Grow a heart. Go to one of the Events and you might even volunteer to help.

MHL

Fplvert said:
:roll:
I sponsor Special Olympics. Idaho Chapter.

Grow a heart. Go to one of the Events and you might even volunteer to help.

MHL
+1 to you Fplvert

Clipper707 said:

Uhm, I think you'll find they're called Semantics Enforcers.

N017RW said:
I missed the debate BTW.

Your not going to gain many followers with such polarizing and extreme views.

You insult persons at the same time as you try to influence their thinking or opinions.

Meanwhile, I enjoy being an R/C Pilot ;) as I have for the last 40 years.

Same here, been an RC pilot who learned from another RC pilot how to pilot my fixed wing planes.
Regardless what the Mad men of the forum attempt to demand from me, I'll continue to call myself a pilot with pride.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: New Ownwer
Postby MadMitch88 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:13 am

Just use a LOT of... Chicks dig Phantom pilots! :p
MadMitch88

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Should we really be calling ourselves "pilots" ??
Postby MadMitch88 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:23 am

I'm getting increasingly disturbed that we like to call ourselves Phantom "pilots". :oops:

MadMitch88

I think that "Pilot" on its own is a big word when it refers to a phantom... "Remote pilot" would may be a better choice. I like "UAV pilot" too, sounds clunky but dead accurate as said before. Put it in a conversation:
What is your hobby?
- I'm a pilot
- Oh...(Admiration) And what are you piloting?
- A Phantom.
- WHAT?
- You know these Radio controlled flying square things...
- Oh... (disappointed, a little bit amused, smiling (thinking Ha ha! Pilot huh? loser...)

We are not pilots guys!

Attachments

• images5.jpg
    images5.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 285
Meta4 said:
ianwood said:
Clipper707 said:
Uhm, I think you'll find they're called Semantics Enforcers.
That depends on what you mean by semantics.

Good one :D

In Australia, where UAV pilots are licensed, CASA calls them Controllers.
Under CASA rules, an Operator is a business that runs a fleet of aircraft, or UAV's or both.

I think 'pilot' is less ambiguous, but if asked, I just say, "I fly a drone."

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4