FAA now has jurisdiction over military installations?

Reaction score
This is crazy, last week my military base commander specifically released policy memo AUTHORIZING drone flights on and over base.

Today, FAA has usurped military commander authority, as if they know anything about what's sensitive on base. Last I checked the law the FAA is using to justify this gives authority to military commanders and not the FAA.

FAA Restricts Drone Operations Over Certain Military Bases

So what gives?

but they already had the authority to do this didn't they? It's not new, at least not according to that article you posted.

Your commander got overruled by higher ups. There was an article last week in Bloomberg News where some of the top brass were concerned with drones being used by terrorists along with C4 as sort of poor-man's Tomahawk missile. No doubt with the quasi wars were into and the terrorism possibilities, the blue restricted military areas turned into red no fly zones now.

Fwiw, I noticed B4UFly was updated to day too and mentions the Specialized No Fly zone Areas when you open it, and they are all in Red now too. That was fast for the feds.

but they already had the authority to do this didn't they? It's not new, at least not according to that article you posted.

How I read it, they are claiming they have the authority under the law that gives each base commander authority to develop and implement their own level of force protection and base security.

If you don't know anything about the military it may make sense to have a one size fits all approach, but ita much more nuanced than that. There are many military bases that are about as "sensitive" as a college campus. Each military base commander sets their own policies.

Let's not forget that there are thousands of families that live on base, so even a toy drone bought on base, flown in backyard faces possibility of being charged.

Bottom line, I don't think they should be over riding the assessment made by local commanders.

How I read it, they are claiming they have the authority under the law that gives each base commander authority to develop and implement their own level of force protection and base security.

If you don't know anything about the military it may make sense to have a one size fits all approach, but ita much more nuanced than that. There are many military bases that are about as "sensitive" as a college campus. Each military base commander sets their own policies.

Let's not forget that there are thousands of families that live on base, so even a toy drone bought on base, flown in backyard faces possibility of being charged.

Bottom line, I don't think they should be over riding the assessment made by local commanders.

'The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is using its existing authority under Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) § 99.7 – “Special Security Instructions” – to address national security concerns about unauthorized drone operations over 133 military facilities.'

Seems pretty cut and dried doesn't it?

The offending bit of your aviation law

§ 99.7 Special security instructions.
Each person operating an aircraft in an ADIZ or Defense Area must, in addition to the applicable rules of this part, comply with special security instructions issued by the Administrator in the interest of national security, pursuant to agreement between the FAA and the Department of Defense, or between the FAA and a U.S. Federal security or intelligence agency.

[ 69 FR 16756, Mar. 30, 2004]

Looks like it's been the same law since 2004 - the FAA makes the rules when they feel the need to.

Would it apply to toy drones? I doubt it as toys don't require FAA registration do they?

As you said, not all military bases are sensitive but this document doesn't apply to all military bases does it?

This is crazy, last week my military base commander specifically released policy memo AUTHORIZING drone flights on and over base.

Today, FAA has usurped military commander authority, as if they know anything about what's sensitive on base. Last I checked the law the FAA is using to justify this gives authority to military commanders and not the FAA.

So what gives?

I think you've only gotten part of the story. It's only pertaining to 133 or so bases which have been deemed as Special Security Areas. I can assure you that if the powers to be classify a base as Special Security your Base Commander has been over ruled and that's not likely to change any time soon.

But seriously, it's only 133 bases so it that really worth getting so upset about? Maybe we need to take a deep breath and look at the bigger picture and realize that our toy-grade UAS might not really be that important in the big scheme of things.

Reactions: JesterPhotog
I think you've only gotten part of the story. It's only pertaining to 133 or so bases which have been deemed as Special Security Areas. I can assure you that if the powers to be classify a base as Special Security your Base Commander has been over ruled and that's not likely to change any time soon.

But seriously, it's only 133 bases so it that really worth getting so upset about? Maybe we need to take a deep breath and look at the bigger picture and realize that our toy-grade UAS might not really be that important in the big scheme of things.

That's fine, but now we have conflicting federal agencies with potential for people to get in trouble inadvertently. Communication is key here, and it appears there was none due to conflicting policy announcements released in short time span from each other. That's all I'm saying.

According to the ruling you can still fly in those areas as long as you have permission from the controlling agency, which is pretty much how it worked before.

So what gives?
What base are you concerned about?

I think this is more of a cooperative move rather the FAA "telling" the military what to do. I work on a military base (AF) that flies GA aircraft and I could tell you the base commander will follow FAA guidelines but in the end he will follow AFIs in lieu of any FAR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20