FAA new rules for fights over people.

Reaction score
Drones Overhead: the FAA's New Rule on Flight Over People - DRONELIFE

"While the agency determined not to move forward with a specific size-based classification and size-based regulations, they did develop a set of recommendations for flight over people. Those earlier recommendations called for manufacturer’s certification of drones and categorizes drones according to their risk level."

That "According to their risk level" part is interesting. I wonder if they mean redundant systems and maybe dual batteries for a backup like the Inspire 2 setup? Possibly going with an Octocopter design where a blade or two may fail along with separate batteries like the Matrice 600, S1000, or some Freefly Alta setup that can still fly with a downed motor or prop and not free-fall onto someone under it?

Maybe make it so only a 107 license holder can do it too?

Sounds like it may not be finalized or known for a while though. If it does mandate an Octocopter design for flying over people, those wanting an Inspire 2 might want to hold off a while.

I'm fairly certain it is a subsection of Part 107 flights.

"The Part 107 Small UAS Rule enacted at the end of August regularized commercial operations and simplified the process of becoming licensed as a commercial drone operator. But while the new rules were a major step forward for the drone industry, restrictions on some operations..."

SB

I'm fairly certain it is a subsection of Part 107 flights.

"The Part 107 Small UAS Rule enacted at the end of August regularized commercial operations and simplified the process of becoming licensed as a commercial drone operator. But while the new rules were a major step forward for the drone industry, restrictions on some operations..."

SB

These "new rules" for flying over people are to be forwarded to some department for approval in December according to the article. The past August rules are a work in progress to be amended as needed. They also mentioned night flights as well. Curious as it sounds like they want the manufactures to maybe come up with some sort of risk factor on their products to be approved for overhead flights, with the FAA possibly rubber stamping them later.

I think Aerotain got the risk part approved for flying over people with what looks to be their drone blimp thing used inside Madison Square Garden seen in some photos. AEROTAIN

If one wants to fly over people, might be best to wait and see what gets FAA approval in 2017 to do so as it sounds like some ruling is coming.

I'll be surprised if we actually see any changes before late Spring or Summer. Here is an article I wrote on the process and what I'd expect to see. The rule making process takes months and we are barely even into the process yet.

Just found this. According to the DOT website, it went to
OMB about 20 days late. It's due back on Dec 20 for publication of the NPRM on 12/30 ( that's apparently the end of the year commitment).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20