FAA just called me

Most of us are conscientious about where we fly and the manner in which we fly. While I'm not necessarily a proponent of the FAA's rule making process, I can understand all of the different scenarios that must be considered when they look at proposing and then adopting regulations. I do believe its about safety and have a hard time understanding that money is a driving factor. Sure the aviation industry wants to keep flying but the studios in Hollywood would be able to save millions and they have a significant lobby effort.

If anything need to happen, their needs to be more accountability on the operators of the multirotors. Anybody can fly them and some don't give it much thought as to safety. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-GAB91FNNw

The guy is flying his Phantom out of Fort Snelling in MN. Take a look where this is at on the map. This borders MSP airport. While most of the air traffic operates on runways parallel to Fort Snelling, the crosswind runway is almost directly in line with this area.

My point is that if we have guys like this flying them and it creates an accident with an aircraft, this hobby will be done. There is enough people who are fearing us flying because of so-called privacy issues.

The time is coming were one of these multirotor RC aircraft is going to get sucked into an engine or smash into a cockpit. Once this happens there's no telling where the laws and regulations will go. It's a ticking time bomb plus the fact I wouldn't want to be liable for crashing a plane and endangering the lives of the people on it. I think it should be based more on safety and less on privacy laws unless your doing something utterly stupid.

freelanceshots said:
The time is coming were one of these multirotor RC aircraft is going to get sucked into an engine or smash into a cockpit. Once this happens there's no telling where the laws and regulations will go. It's a ticking time bomb plus the fact I wouldn't want to be liable for crashing a plane and endangering the lives of the people on it. I think it should be based more on safety and less on privacy laws unless your doing something utterly stupid.

Probably and with that said I think we need to ban birds flying close to the airports. Too dangerous IMO..

mercillus said:
freelanceshots said:
Probably and with that said I think we need to ban birds flying close to the airports. Too dangerous IMO..

A long time ago I was aboard a 737 in the shop down for maintenance doing a training video for an airline equipment mfg. I happened to glance into the cockpit where mechanics were replacing the pilot's side windscreen that was completely shattered, almost certainly by a bird strike. It wasn't penetrated, but almost impossible to see anything through the cracks. I haven't forgotten that, because I could easily put myself int he position of the poor pilot shitting his pants! :shock:

Just as a note. I purchased my Phantom for use as a hobby, the same as my rc aircraft, jets, helis, and boats. I fly only at permitted AMA sites with other AMA members. We enjoy taking pictures of other crafts flying and only fly our Quads the same as other models, line-of-sight. Never thought of using it for commercial photos, just as a different type of model to enjoy and fly. Hope the ones using it for the purpose it was not intended does not create havoc for us. I would say Canada has the right approach.

QuadFlyer said:
Just as a note. I purchased my Phantom for use as a hobby, the same as my rc aircraft, jets, helis, and boats. I fly only at permitted AMA sites with other AMA members. We enjoy taking pictures of other crafts flying and only fly our Quads the same as other models, line-of-sight. Never thought of using it for commercial photos, just as a different type of model to enjoy and fly. Hope the ones using it for the purpose it was not intended does not create havoc for us. I would say Canada has the right approach.

I'd venture to say you were not the target audience DJI went after when it made the Phantom...

FAA is reading these forums, huh?

Dear Big Brother,
SCREW YOU!

Good luck catching me while I'm out at a client's location.

You have to remember that government workers will not work any more than they have to or not work at all. A cease and desist order may not be legal. If there are no regulations on the order that you can specifically look up then I would ignore the letter. Definitely do not respond to it. If it's not registered then it may get delivered to the wrong address like all the jury summons do when sent to me. I simply did not get it.
Our government is smothering all attempts for the average American to get ahead legally. Creativity has shifted to other countries and shunned here. I keep flying until they take it from me.

Mike.Smith said:
You have to remember that government workers will not work any more than they have to or not work at all. A cease and desist order may not be legal. If there are no regulations on the order that you can specifically look up then I would ignore the letter. Definitely do not respond to it. If it's not registered then it may get delivered to the wrong address like all the jury summons do when sent to me. I simply did not get it.
Our government is smothering all attempts for the average American to get ahead legally. Creativity has shifted to other countries and shunned here. I keep flying until they take it from me.

I worked my *** off for 35 years as a government employee, and I resent not only your insulting statement but your snobbish attitude as well.
Get back to us when you have something constructive to contribute to this forum.

Sac D said:
Mike.Smith said:

I worked my *** off for 35 years as a government employee, and I resent not only your insulting statement but your snobbish attitude as well.
Get back to us when you have something constructive to contribute to this forum.

My wife just retired after 25 years with the Post Office, and of all government workers, they are near the top of the list of the public's list of workers that are lazy and overpaid. Nothing can be further from the truth. She worked harder than a lot of folks in private industry, and again, contrary to common belief, has only a modest retirement, most of which she paid for out of wages. I've known and worked with many other government employees who have been dedicated and tireless.

By and large the individuals are dedicated and ward working in my experience, but the system, however, can be a bit "puzzling" at times IMO.

The FAA makes a very solid distinction between private use and commerical use. As a private pilot, I can fly my friend anywhere they want to go anytime I want. However, if they offer to pay me to fly them somewhere, I cannot legally do so unless I have a commercial rating. I can't so much as carry a package for someone if they are paying for me or take a photo from my plane if I am being paid for it unless I have a commercial license. I see no reason why a UAV would be any different. Honestly, I'd be thankful that is all they are doing. I foresee a future where you will be required to go through a similar process we have to go through now to get a pilots license to fly remote controlled aircraft as they become more and more common. I just hope my pilots license gives me a greater rating and makes it unnecessary. ;)

offcamber said:
I foresee a future where you will be required to go through a similar process we have to go through now to get a pilots license to fly remote controlled aircraft as they become more and more common. I just hope my pilots license gives me a greater rating and makes it unnecessary. ;)

I think you could well be right, some sort of a rating may just be in the works for the grand unveiling of the regs in 2015. However, if the pattern of pilot ratings holds, it would seem that everyone would have to get a type-specific rating for whatever they end up calling what we talk about flying here. For example, I have a private pilot's license in gliders, but I'm not allowed to fly power with it. However, while it is counter intuitive to most private airplane pilots, they can't fly gliders without going through the training for a glider rating. So, I guess that same process would apply for a "UAV" rating, or whatever.

Even if current private pilots have to go get a rating in remote control, it may not be a bad thing overall IMO, at least for commercial flying such as for business photography.

I did hear that in Australia CASA is looking into some form of commercial license program for flying UAV under 2KG. Supposedly a 2 day course that will allow you to use these professionally. The fact that its only a 2 day course isn't likely going to mean its going to be affordable as commercial permits for anything in Australia are generally kept stupidly high keeping most people out of these industries requiring such permits.

martcerv said:
I did hear that in Australia CASA is looking into some form of commercial license program for flying UAV under 2KG. Supposedly a 2 day course that will allow you to use these professionally. The fact that its only a 2 day course isn't likely going to mean its going to be affordable as commercial permits for anything in Australia are generally kept stupidly high keeping most people out of these industries requiring such permits.
A friend of mine is undergoing this course at, if I recall correctly, the moment. He's in the first group. He also has to get a heli licence if he wants to fly out of LOS.

Because he's proposing to do commercial work, CASA are really making him jump through the revolving goal posts. He's playing the game at the moment. He's based in Brisbane.

SimonB said:
martcerv said:
A friend of mine is undergoing this course at, if I recall correctly, the moment. He's in the first group. He also has to get a heli licence if he wants to fly out of LOS.

Because he's proposing to do commercial work, CASA are really making him jump through the revolving goal posts. He's playing the game at the moment. He's based in Brisbane.

I'd be really interested to hear more abotu the course - I didn't think they'd kicked off the new rules yet.

The current / old rules were that you had to take your PPL theory exam for whatever platform (helo / airplane), so he might be taking a helo PPL course.

mroberts said:
I'd be really interested to hear more abotu the course - I didn't think they'd kicked off the new rules yet.

The current / old rules were that you had to take your PPL theory exam for whatever platform (helo / airplane), so he might be taking a helo PPL course.
I'll ask him for more details and pass them on. Yes, he was / is doing the hello PPL, in an R22. A few hours under his belt already.

chad556 said:
I just received a phone call from an FAA official out of Scottdsdale, AZ informing me that a cease and desist letter would be arriving via certified mail to my address within the next few days.

Where's the letter????

Why does the FAA make it impossible to find anyone to discuss this issue? All I see is an old circular that says you cannot, then a sentence that says they don't regulate hobby aircraft but if it is used for commercial purposes, you can't use. No avenue as to how to make it legal.

Now I'm in a dilemma. My sole purpose is for commercial aerial photography but as of yet, I can't even find anyone in FAA that will respond to email.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav