FAA has started to grant airspace authorizations in Class D and E

Reaction score
I have been able to analyze whether these are still the 333 converted waivers or not as I am traveling today. But airspace info is definitely new. According to the FAA:

"FAA Issues Part 107 Waivers, Airspace AuthorizationsOctober 25- The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) began issuing Part 107 waivers and airspace authorizations to drone operators starting August 29, 2016, the effective date of the new rule. As of October 24, 2016, the agency has approved 81 authorizations for flights in Class D and E airspace, and has issued 36 waivers of Part 107 provisions to drone operators who applied after the rule’s effective date.

FAA Issues Part 107 Waivers, Airspace Authorizations

However, the agency has found that many applications have incorrect or incomplete information. Many applicants request too many waivers or request waivers for flights in types of airspace for which the FAA is not yet granting approvals. As a result, the agency has had to reject 71 waiver requests and 854 airspace applications."

Enrico Schaefer
UAV Attorney
www.dronelaw.pro

Free Part 107 Waiver and Airspace Training Videos. https://www.dronelaw.pro/part-107-waivers/

When you say they have "approved 81 authorizations for flights in Class D..." is that for something other than the airspace itself? I'm still trying to get all of this figured out as to what's allowed and what's not. From the way I understand everything you only need ATC Approval to fly in Class D and then FAA waiver if you wanted to fly say at night? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It isn't publicized but my guess is that it's just for airspace authorization. Stayed another way, they did not ask for any waivers under part 107 in addition to the airspace approvals. We believe the appropriate strategy is to obtain airspace authorizations for a period of years and then go back and add waivers to the top of those authorizations.

Enrico Schaefer
UAV Attorney
www.dronelaw.pro

Free Part 107 Waiver and Airspace Training Videos. https://www.dronelaw.pro/part-107-waivers/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan