FAA exemption

Reaction score
Has anybody that has applied for FAA exemption have any ideas on how long it takes to hear back from them?

Also anybody know if after plying where you can view your comment tracking number to check status?

Thanks!

Funny, I had heard 120 days... I ended up finding a few templates online, so I decided to write up one and send it in. No way I can afford to pay to have someone do it. It's not a game-changer if I don't get approved, but it'd help as a selling point for my photography.

They state it might take 120 days in the FAQ on the FAA site.

What is the price to apply and get the proper license to sell my aerial images? I haven't been able to find a good answer.

That's unfair.

Tech will always lead policy.

All sides must be heard or would you rather it be dictated to you?

Go fly. Be safe, lead by example and we'll likely never 'hear' of you or what you do.
(I mean that in a good way).

I knew what you meant... :)

At this point let it be dictated. At least we'd know what to do/not do. A lot of us here keep asking "Can we fly here?" "Can we fly there?" I've only been a quad owner for 2 months and the guessing is getting old... I hope I'm making some sort of sense here... (probably not though...)

You seem reasonable.

Grafting unmanned small UAS operation 'rules' onto manned flight rules makes no sense but that's the system currently in place.

I urge you to listen to the linked podcast in #8 above.

Your call but you might feel better!

At least the Keynote speaker's address.
I found it very informative.
I hope you do too.

It's a great podcast without the BS fluff I've found in several others.

60 days? Not hardly. Under "normal" circumstances they are allowing 120 days but due to a HUGE influx of submissions I would expect that number to go a little higher.

What's funny is that some people either "know someone" or just are very lucky and somehow slide to the head of the pack. I saw one that was posted to the public docket last week that had only been submitted 3 weeks ago. *shoulder shrug*

What happens is you "submit" your request to the FAA via their "Public Docket system". At some point in the distant future the "Docket system" will pick up your submission and post it to the Public Docket for comments. Once it's posted at some point in the distant future the next department goes though the docket and case by case reviews each one and makes the decision to approve, deny, or request additional information. What's funny is once the decision is made you get an email immediately and the details are mailed to you but the "Public Docket" doesn't get updated for at least another 30 days.

I watch it every single day and it's down right comical to see how many are posted to the docket each day (not many). Heaven forbid it's a day before or right after a holiday weekend because it gets REALLY slow LOL! That is your tax dollars hardly at work (see my play on words there?).

Here's where you would go to "search" your tracking # (emailed to you once you submit your request)
http://www.regulations.gov/ (enter your # into the search field)

Once it is submitted you can see it on the public docket at
http://www.regulations.gov/#!search...on%2B333%22%2BFAA;fp=true;dct=FR%2BPR%2BN%2BO

As of today they are posting new submissions to the public docket that were submitted on or around July 8th, 9th, 10th.

Also posted to the docket today (this is just an example) is an approval for a request that was submitted April 13th, 2015 and approved August 26th, 2015.

There is no charge for the Section 333 Exemption Request or approval. The fees come from "complying" to the requirements: Pilot's License (~$10k) and aircraft registration (N#) which is only $10 per aircraft.

Great thread... I came really close to using a service to get my exemption but even though I told them that my pilots license wasn't valid any more as I was quite sick 10 years ago and now I'm on a couple of meds now that prevent me from getting the FAA required medical certificate

I don't think I've seen a service yet who comes right out and tells you this

Reactions: BigAl07
Haven't started the 333 yet but just got my registration back for my p3p, now N596ch. It actually processed faster than my last airplane did. Surprising for the FAA.

Reactions: BigAl07
Great thread... I came really close to using a service to get my exemption but even though I told them that my pilots license wasn't valid any more as I was quite sick 10 years ago and now I'm on a couple of meds now that prevent me from getting the FAA required medical certificate

I don't think I've seen a service yet who comes right out and tells you this
Matthew you could still do this you'd just need to go for your Sport PL because it only requires a state issued drivers license instead of the 3rd class medical.

Haven't started the 333 yet but just got my registration back for my p3p, now N596ch. It actually processed faster than my last airplane did. Surprising for the FAA.
Yea aircraft registration is a rocket ship compared to Section 333 Exemption processes. Mine took maybe 10 days? N828AN here :)

60 days? Everywhere else I've read that it's over 100 days and that the delay is building...

It's hard getting reliable info

Matthew
Well I did mine over 6 months ago, so I assume it has slowed down since then.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj