FAA exemption

Haven't been approved yet. My application was accepted on 9/14, finally made it in their system on 11/19. I know that there is a way to check what date the FAA is up to for approvals, but forgot where I saw the link.

As for the application, the best (cheapest) way to go is to find an application that was approved (there's a link for that too, which I don't have as well... sorry...), and just scan through it and change the info in it to your info, then submit it. There are companies out there that charge in the hundreds of dollars to write up the application for you, so if you can afford it you can do that. I just did the cut/paste, but made sure the wording in it applied to me and what I was using it for.

Great! I thought about doing the exact same thing too!! Defiantly the way to go.

Good luck with your application! I'm sure you will be fine, its just a shame that it takes soooooooooo **** long

Haven't been approved yet. My application was accepted on 9/14, finally made it in their system on 11/19. I know that there is a way to check what date the FAA is up to for approvals, but forgot where I saw the link.

Once you've submitted your request and it's received you get an email with a link and your "Tracking #" included. You go to the link below and paste your tracking # into the box and you can see the status of your submission. Keep in mind that until it is "Posted to the public docket" you won't see anything in your search results except it has been received. Then one day in the future you'll see it's been posted to the public docket and at that time you can "hope" to estimate 120days on average if there are no extenuating circumstances (more information needed, errors etc).

I submitted mine July 10th, 2015.
Posted to public docket Nov 4th, 2015
Still pending . . . . . (insert the sound of crickets chirping).

Regulations.gov

You do not need a pilots license to apply for and receive a 333 exemption. You DO need a pilots license to fly a UAS under that 333 exemption.
Technically, if you read a typical 333 Exemption, in condition #14 it says the operator (the licensed pilot) can allow a PIC (pilot in command) to do the flying if they demonstrate the ability to fly safe. So this means the licenced pilot doesn't have to be the PIC (pilot in command). So if your dad was a licensed pilot, he could observe you flying a commercial job, and you'd be legal. Since you always need a VO (visual observer) for all commercial flights anyway, the licensed pilot can be the VO and you can be the PIC, assuming you have demonstrated to the pilot your skill set of flying safe. Of course, you still need the N number and liability insurance, but this is a small loophole that some owners may be able to take advantage of, assuming the circumstances are in line with this caveat.

14. The operator may not permit any PIC to operate unless the PIC demonstrates the ability to safely operate the UAS in a manner consistent with how the UAS will be operated under this exemption, including evasive and emergency maneuvers and maintaining appropriate distances from persons, vessels, vehicles and structures. PIC qualification flight hours and currency must be logged in a manner consistent with 14 CFR § 61.51(b). Flights for the purposes of training the operator’s PICs and VOs (training, proficiency, and experience-building) and determining the PIC’s ability to safely operate the UAS in a manner consistent with how the UAS will be operated under this exemption are permitted under the terms of this exemption. However, training operations may only be conducted during dedicated training sessions. During training, proficiency, and experience-building flights, all persons not essential for flight operations are considered nonparticipants, and the PIC must operate the UA with appropriate distance from nonparticipants in accordance with 14 CFR § 91.119.

By the way, you can read all of the 333 exemptions the FAA grants on a daily basis here. They are public.

Also, the best deal I have found to file for the 333 exemption is with Aces Deals for $149. Others charge over $500 for the paperwork, and it's a lot of paperwork if you don't hire someone else to do it.

Last edited:
I joined uavus.org and got the gold membership ($49) You then fill out a short questionnaire and they write a 333 application for you. I have no idea if this will work, but they sent my application today and the instructions for submitting it, which I did. I risked $49, so if it works it was cheap and easy. If it doesn't work, I lost $49 and several months waiting time.

Technically, if you read a typical 333 Exemption, in condition #14 it says the operator (the licensed pilot) can allow a PIC (pilot in command) to do the flying if they demonstrate the ability to fly safe. So this means the licenced pilot doesn't have to be the PIC (pilot in command). So if your dad was a licensed pilot, he could observe you flying a commercial job, and you'd be legal. Since you always need a VO (visual observer) for all commercial flights anyway, the licensed pilot can be the VO and you can be the PIC, assuming you have demonstrated to the pilot your skill set of flying safe. Of course, you still need the N number and liability insurance, but this is a small loophole that some owners may be able to take advantage of, assuming the circumstances are in line with this caveat.

14. The operator may not permit any PIC to operate unless the PIC demonstrates the ability to safely operate the UAS in a manner consistent with how the UAS will be operated under this exemption, including evasive and emergency maneuvers and maintaining appropriate distances from persons, vessels, vehicles and structures. PIC qualification flight hours and currency must be logged in a manner consistent with 14 CFR § 61.51(b). Flights for the purposes of training the operator’s PICs and VOs (training, proficiency, and experience-building) and determining the PIC’s ability to safely operate the UAS in a manner consistent with how the UAS will be operated under this exemption are permitted under the terms of this exemption. However, training operations may only be conducted during dedicated training sessions. During training, proficiency, and experience-building flights, all persons not essential for flight operations are considered nonparticipants, and the PIC must operate the UA with appropriate distance from nonparticipants in accordance with 14 CFR § 91.119.

By the way, you can read all of the 333 exemptions the FAA grants on a daily basis here. They are public.

Also, the best deal I have found to file for the 333 exemption is with Aces Deals for $149. Others charge over $500 for the paperwork, and it's a lot of paperwork if you don't hire someone else to do it.

You are reading it wrong. The "Operator" is the 333 Exemption Holder not the licensed pilot, although the operator can be a licensed pilot.. The PIC is the Licensed Pilot and Pilot in Command. A PIC must always be a licensed pilot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaime Ray Vaughn

Are you sure? Because item 13 says the PIC must hold a pilot certificate. To me, it looks like item 14 is a further restriction on the PIC which says that he must also demonstrate the ability to safely operate the UAS. It doesn't say they "Can allow...", it says they "May not permit...". I'm taking this to mean he must have a pilots certificate AND he must demonstrate the ability to safely operate the UAS.

Are you sure? Because item 13 says the PIC must hold a pilot certificate. To me, it looks like item 14 is a further restriction on the PIC which says that he must also demonstrate the ability to safely operate the UAS. It doesn't say they "Can allow...", it says they "May not permit...". I'm taking this to mean he must have a pilots certificate AND he must demonstrate the ability to safely operate the UAS.

I am 100% positive. Let me say it this way. I am a 333 exemption holder and I also have a pilots license. I can not permit or supervise an unlicensed pilot to fly for me ,even if he or she knows how to fly a drone. I should add that I do not have my exemption yes but do have a pilots license.

Your right, the PIC must have the pilot's license. However the operator doesn't need to have the pilot's license. The operator could be a company with 10 drones, and they hire PICs to fly for the company, all the while the company owner doesn't have a pilot's license. Sorry, I was misreading it, very complicated wording.

Your right, the PIC must have the pilot's license. However the operator doesn't need to have the pilot's license. The operator could be a company with 10 drones, and they hire PICs to fly for the company, all the while the company owner doesn't have a pilot's license. Sorry, I was misreading it, very complicated wording.

You are correct.

PIC must be a licensed pilot (as of this writing) but . . . . Even if the desired PIC is a licensed pilot (even if they fly 747's daily for hire and have 10,000 logged flight hours as PIC in the 747) they must ALSO be proven to be able to SAFELY (exactly to what standards we have no clue) fly the UAS in the manner in which the 333 has been granted. Being a certificated FAA pilot is only one portion of the requirements but in and of itself does not make the pilot qualified to be PIC of the UAS. The PIC flight hours also have to be logged which many people don't take into account. This is no different than me wanting to be PIC of some TYPE of airplane I've never flown before. I have to get "Checked Out" in the "Type" of aircraft and prove my proficiency regardless of total flight hours in other "Types" of aircraft.

The PIC must:
a) be a "current" FAA Pilot Certification holder (Sport pilot up to ATP)
b) be proven safe and proficient in the UAS to be operated. Also training flights for PIC are logged exactly as that and should be carried out under 333 Exemption noted flight rules and follow the 333 mandated distances etc.

Operator is the "333 Exemption Holder" and this person/entity may or may not be the PIC but can appoint and train a PIC.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic