FAA Decides Posting on Youtube makes you Commercial

Only when you enable "Account Monetization" in YouTube does this become an issue. Just turn off the **** advertising and problem solved.

U.M.

I wonder how they will get a mailing address. Big brother is watching you. :shock:

Too simple of a solution Uncle Meat.
This must be controversial. :roll:

:lol: :lol:
This just proves how pathetic they are . I thought creating jobs is the goal of this administration I know so many people in bad shape right now land of the free my *** .

It was one letter to one hobbyist and the FAA is looking into it. "The FAA’s goal is to promote voluntary compliance by educating individual UAS operators about how they can operate safely under current regulations and laws. The FAA’s guidance calls for inspectors to notify someone with a letter and then follow up. The guidance does not include language about advertising. The FAA will look into the matter."

jadebox said:
It was one letter to one hobbyist and the FAA is looking into it. "The FAA’s goal is to promote voluntary compliance by educating individual UAS operators about how they can operate safely under current regulations and laws. The FAA’s guidance calls for inspectors to notify someone with a letter and then follow up. The guidance does not include language about advertising. The FAA will look into the matter."

Perhaps you could inform us as to why the FAA sent the letter.

jadebox said:

They should have done there job did they see if he is getting paid on the videos ? No someone ratted him out so instead of looking into it they send a threat letter . So with that logic all of us that have vids on YouTube are going to get letters next they'll send letters to google/YouTube then they will just ban all aerial footage .

Once more, getting "paid" is not a necessary requirement for the FAA to consider it a commercial flight. For example, your neighbor is a realtor. You go fly over a property for them, take photos and give the photos to them for free. It is STILL a commercial flight in the eyes of the FAA because the photos are being used for a commercial purpose. You do not have to get paid or make one red cent off the flight. Neither does anyone else. The key is if the images are used for anything other than purely recreational/hobby purposes. Profit/payment, etc. has zero to do with the FAA's definition of commercial flying.

I think what triggered this was "This office has received a complaint regarding your use of an unmanned aerial vehicle (aka drone) for commercial purposes referencing your video on the web site Youtube.com as evidence." There are a lot of "Drone Haters" out there. So I think we need to do all we can to help educate those around us that we are careful and that drones are not their "enemy". Maybe the person who complained had connections and the FAA felt they had to do something.. One thing is for sure, we don't need people calling and complaining every time they see a drone. (One case in point, someone was flying a drone (a small one) near the finish line of the Manhattan half-marathon, a person calls it in, and the Counterterrorism unit is dispatched with helicopters and a ton of officers... Which just illustrates peoples fear of drones... Also, when you fly, don't wear a jacket with the word "Grenade" on it. http://nypost.com/2015/03/15/drone-prom ... -marathon/

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20