FAA claiming any Drone videos on YouTube are commercial.

DaveMoi said:
Just a question.... But can the faa actually enforce anything?

That is certainly a good question and one that has not been answered yet. Can they enforce commercial flying? Probably. Can they enforce is again a drone flyer not flying in their airspace? Don't know. It's really up to a court to determine this and the FAA has not charged anyone with this type of commercial flying yet so no one has been able to test it in court. This is one reason why the FAA is only "warning" people and "advising them" of what they cannot do. This way they can keep claiming that they have a right to enforce this aspect of of the law and many/most people will abide by their claim. If it went to court and the FAA loses, then they lose all of their power. Better to be able bully then to be correct in some cases.

Fdnyfish said:
**** the FAA!

I don't think you're supposed to say that here, but I totally agree.
First words that came to mind when I read the headline. :lol: :lol:

I know we enjoy making fun of the FAA, but can they really be that stupid? :roll:

"With this letter the FAA is claiming that drone-obtained art created by a hobbyist becomes retroactively 'commercial' if it is ever sold, or if, as here, it is displayed on a website that offers monetization in the form of advertising,"

If you monetize the video I agree completely that it is commercial.

The grey area would be is just placing it on YouTube considered commercial without the annoying pop-up adds? YouTube may make a penny or two from posting banners on the same page of my video but I see none of that. So is it up to YouTube to take down my video because of an FAA order? I am not going to monetize my crappy videos (like most people shouldn't) so I fall in the grey area and will continue uploading.

tcope said:
DaveMoi said:
Just a question.... But can the faa actually enforce anything?

That is certainly a good question and one that has not been answered yet. Can they enforce commercial flying? Probably. Can they enforce is again a drone flyer not flying in their airspace? Don't know. It's really up to a court to determine this and the FAA has not charged anyone with this type of commercial flying yet so no one has been able to test it in court. This is one reason why the FAA is only "warning" people and "advising them" of what they cannot do. This way they can keep claiming that they have a right to enforce this aspect of of the law and many/most people will abide by their claim. If it went to court and the FAA loses, then they lose all of their power. Better to be able bully then to be correct in some cases.
Absolutely spot on. Except for the airspace thing. Its ALL their airspace. Once you leave the ground and take flight, you're in the national airspace system, which is FAA turf. Doesn't matter if you're at 18" 18' 180' 1800' or 18,000'.

Fdnyfish said:
It's only commercial if you collect any compensation for it
It's commercial is there's an opportunity for "the furtherance of a business".

More reasons to use Vimeo?

LuvMyTJ said:
More reasons to use Vimeo?

Did you just make a funny :shock: ;)

Attachments

• Follow Dem Rules !!!.gif
    Follow Dem Rules !!!.gif
    66.6 KB · Views: 524
Yes and no. If the FAA is going to scour youtube I suppose I won't be posting aerial videos there.

Wait till they come across those kids shooting roman candles at themselves from a Phantom! LOL :lol:

FAA guys looking for drone videos on youtube...

Attachments

• southpark.png
    southpark.png
    102.2 KB · Views: 494
LuvMyTJ said:
Yes and no. If the FAA is going to scour youtube I suppose I won't be posting aerial videos there.

It was not a case of the FAA going out and looking over Youtube videos. In this case, and most/all others it was the case of someone sending them the video information (link) and a complaint. Otherwise it does not appear that the FAA is going out on their own to look at videos.

tcope said:
LuvMyTJ said:

It was not a case of the FAA going out and looking over Youtube videos. In this case, and most/all others it was the case of someone sending them the video information (link) and a complaint. Otherwise it does not appear that the FAA is going out on their own to look at videos.

Pretty sure TJ was joking more than being serious, but you have a very valid point.

Hmm, who don't I like here? :lol:
I'm joking too.

I really do wonder how the dust is going to settle if/when laws are put in place, as to what's currently occurring.
There are a heck of a lot of folks using their flying machines in a manner the FAA would consider "Commercial Operations", or whatever it's called today.

I've put mine in my X-Wife's name.

Hallo everyone, you seem to have serious problems in your country. I don't think that behind this kind of "intimidation" there is some corporation to protect who sees a new business flying drones around. I think the reasons are far reaching. After all we could be flying these marvels of technology above farms, industries, fracking zones and can post videos. This could be more of a concern because governments will never tell you the whole story of what's happening around you. I come from the real estate business and I be damned if someone is trying to stop me from taking photos of a property, obviously I always inform neighbors and avoid risky areas. I'm afraid soon we will need to disquise our quads with skins.

Hello to you djphantom2015, Welcome to the forum. :D

You are probably correct in how you assess our issues.

On what part of the planet do you reside?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1