FAA B4UFLY APP

Reaction score
So the FAA released their new app this week, B4UFLY. I downloaded it and launched it last night. I never realized there were so many airports, from international airports, to grass strip backyard airports to heliports. I'm in Syracuse, NY and I'm basically surrounded on all sides for 20+ miles. I will have to call 3 - 5 airports & helipads before I fly anywhere in a 20 mile radius from me. I hope, from reading other posts, that they will eventually tire of me calling and determine one notice is enough. Our local AMA field is within a 5 mile radius of four small airports. We shall see how long they will put up with 20 guys calling in their flights. Seems like a big PITA. We've been flying in the same location since 1980, without a single problem. You name it. Combat, giant scale, helicopters, sail planes, multi rotors, and whatever else that could fly. I'm curious to see where it's all going? I'm from the camp that thinks this is a knee jerk reaction from the bureaucrats towards a hobby that has been very, very safe for decades.

We shall see.

SD

B4UFLY.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff
we have a small grass field with one plane within 5 miles of my home station, it doesnt list a telephone number for the person either. I guess i can look in the phone book.

Based on my area, I don't think notification would be required in the yellow areas, those are informational. The orange areas are airports with towers, and those require notification.

It just made a lot of work for the airports. And it made it almost impossible to be completely compliant. Half of the places you call have no idea what you are talking about.

Reactions: ET_PHNTM3
Based on my area, I don't think notification would be required in the yellow areas, those are informational. The orange areas are airports with towers, and those require notification.
Yellow areas still require notification to the airport/heliport, according to the app. It lists all the places you need to call, but not their numbers.

SD

It's like they just got bored and started putting pictures of helicopters all over the place they specify the airport now they going to specify a helicopter pad is an airport that's ********

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That was the fastest I've ever downloaded and deleted a app

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Lets all pick one and we will all start calling them ,and drive the airport tower craze. The tower will inform the FAA. , and the FAA wont know how to deal with the matter, and drop the app. ??:p
Problem solved.

Saw this picture the other day, & it's a representation of the 7000 airliners in the Canadian and American airways at any given moment, every day, every hour.
image.png

Something to consider for the "high" flyers...

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Jaime Ray Vaughn
I just got the app the other day and deleted it instantly it said I have 6 heli pads a non towerairport and a grass strip within one mile of my house I have lived here my entire life and personaly fly full scale out of the non towered this is bull **** and they don't give you contact info for any of them

So the FAA released their new app this week, B4UFLY. I downloaded it and launched it last night. I never realized there were so many airports, from international airports, to grass strip backyard airports to heliports. I'm in Syracuse, NY and I'm basically surrounded on all sides for 20+ miles. I will have to call 3 - 5 airports & helipads before I fly anywhere in a 20 mile radius from me. I hope, from reading other posts, that they will eventually tire of me calling and determine one notice is enough. Our local AMA field is within a 5 mile radius of four small airports. We shall see how long they will put up with 20 guys calling in their flights. Seems like a big PITA. We've been flying in the same location since 1980, without a single problem. You name it. Combat, giant scale, helicopters, sail planes, multi rotors, and whatever else that could fly. I'm curious to see where it's all going? I'm from the camp that thinks this is a knee jerk reaction from the bureaucrats towards a hobby that has been very, very safe for decades.

We shall see.

SD

View attachment 39713

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_91-57A.pdf

Read this and pass it on. Item 5 on page 2 suggests making standing arrangements with local FAA towers or airport/heliport management.

I downloaded the B4UFLY for iPad today Friday 8 Jan 16, and it seems reasonable. [Android not ready yet] I had already done an agreement with Addison Airport [Dallas], and today I called all the others shown from my home.

The two people I spoke to in admin for the hospital helipads were quite reasonable, and I'll send the emails or deliver by hand next week. The two others, I'm waiting for a reply. Not perfect, but it should evolve.

In short, this is a valuable tool for those of us who wish to be in compliance and not be jerks. It's NOT that restrictive, and should be done in the name of safety.

BTW, where should you post your FAA Reg number in the battery compartment, given the limited number of solid spaces? How about on the bottom end of every battery?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20