FAA Authorizations for Controlled Airspace

Reaction score
Sent an inquiry to the FAA asking of there was any way to check on the progress of my authorization request. below is the text of their reply:
"Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we do not have the ability to check the status of your request. At this time, all FAA resources are devoted to processing waiver requests. Please note that waivers are being processed as quickly as possible and the FAA is striving to process all requests within 90 days of receipt."
Looks like i won't be holding my breath waiting for my Class E authorization.

Reactions: iankahr
It was a Class E authorization request. Looks like they haven't even started looking at them yet. Since my original request was to start 1 Oct, planning to submit another one since the FAA has kicked some requests with dates that have passed before they looked at them.

Last edited:
They have missed their target date of Oct 1 as far as we can tell. I'm still trying to determine whether not there going to post the authorizations for airspace online like waivers.

Enrico Schaefer
UAV Attorney
www.dronelaw.pro

Free Part 107 Waiver and Airspace Training Videos. https://www.dronelaw.pro/suas-service-agreement/

that was part of the reason for my contacting the FAA. Nothing on their webpage and no indications of any authorizations approved.

Reactions: Falcon900
Richard: Let us know when and if you hear back. We are monitoring as well.

The thing I don't get is, how do I request an airspace authorization if it requires a certificate number? My temp still says "pending", and it sounds like it may take another 45 -60 days to get the number. How do I do jobs in the interim? Most of my clients are in class B airspace. Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you.

You can say "pending" in the text box for certificate number. You can't fly in controlled airspace until the system gets rolling. Class B may not be available till December or early next year. The FAA wants you to use the website but the rule only requires ATC authorization. If you were to call ATC and they approved the flight, the FAA would have very little legal leverage. The regulation language should control.

Enrico Schaefer
UAV Attorney
www.dronelaw.pro

Free Part 107 Waiver and Airspace Training Videos. https://www.dronelaw.pro/part-107-waivers/

You can say "pending" in the text box for certificate number. You can't fly in controlled airspace until the system gets rolling. Class B may not be available till December or early next year. The FAA wants you to use the website but the rule only requires ATC authorization. If you were to call ATC and they approved the flight, the FAA would have very little legal leverage. The regulation language should control.

Enrico Schaefer
UAV Attorney
www.dronelaw.pro

Free Part 107 Waiver and Airspace Training Videos. https://www.dronelaw.pro/part-107-waivers/
Thank you. How do I prove that I received authorization via a phone call? Leaves me uneasy since it will only matter in the unfortunate event of an accident or if challenged.

If they're doing it properly, they will make a record of your call in the information you provide which will be your remote pilot certificate number, date time, altitude and location of the flight. The FAA has been trying to push hard on ATC to refuse authorization and send people to the website. However, I receive reports all the time of authorization granted.

Enrico Schaefer
UAV Attorney
www.dronelaw.pro

Generally, all calls into and out of an ATC facility are called. I would also call from your cell phone and keep a record of who you spoke to and when. They may not welcome the call or be knowledgeable about the rules.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31