FAA AT IT AGIN (-_-)

Reaction score
All I get is a bunch of security warnings.

Lol I wish there was a clear and concise answer as to if flying drones or quadrocopters for commercial use is illegal or not. I see the FAA say that it is, but then I see a judge saying that it isn't. I see conversations saying that it is not illegal, but then I see stories of people getting fined.

I would love to start a side business someday utilizing drones, but I don't want to get into a legal battle either.

Link should work I'm on my phone now works on it . It's a clip from the today show a club is using a fixed wing for target practice but showing quads a good bit falls back on the Drone word . The pilot at the end saying you don't know where they are (below 400' is where) still gets me I've been flying since I got out of the military and never seen so much hatred towards RC flying . It is a matter of time and we will be under heavy control .
Any one the link don't work I'll look at it tonight but Today show this morning .

If you take "illegal" at it's literal meaning - ie: "contrary to or forbidden by law" - then, no, commercial use of drones is not illegal, because the FAA has not (and can not) set "LAWS".

What the FAA *has* done is issue RESTRICTIONS. Those restrictions say that there shall be no commercial use of drones (presupposing that the continuation of that phrase is "... without you paying us a lot of money for our permission to do so"). Some judges are going to uphold those restrictions, some are not. And the FAA will still go after you if you are in violation of those restrictions and issue a fine. Again, whether it holds up or not will depend entirely on the judge.

But, also realize that restrictions are only the first step. The FAA will submit the restrictions to congress, who will then sort out how to build and enforce the actual law, I would imagine.

fwiw, a .m3u file (which is what the OP link contains) is a playlist file that will open in media players like winamp and VLC. It doesn't contain any executable code that can harm your machine. I run an internet radio station and we use .m3u files for our tune in links.

the video was a short NBC today show blurb about the "commercial use of drones" specifically in relation to a gun club that uses drones (little tiny foam ones, not like Phantoms) in addition to skeet for targets although before they cut to the actual story there is the obligatory ******** by the hosts about how prolific and dangerous drones are. It gets one fact right that a federal judge in March issued a ruling saying there was no FAA regs banning use of drones. Then of course they go off into silly direction like talking to pilots at a nearby airport who get all concerned about the fact that they're shooting up in the air at drones... and completely gloss over the fact that the gun club also shoots up into air at skeet so it's the same **** thing.
Also a little blurb about shooting at aircraft being illegal. Kinda makes me wonder if we could use Drone Net Gun :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31