FAA Airspace boundaries - KMZ file for Google Earth

Reaction score
With all the noise I've been making lately about FAA and airspace, for those of you not familiar with it, I thought I would link a KMZ file for those that get headaches reading FAA Sectional Charts (I read them a lot and I do). This allows you to find where you live, and see if you live within an FAA airspace zone. Clicking on the area in the ring you live in (if you do live within Class B, C or D airspace) will tell you what the airspace height restriction is (in AGL - altitude Above Ground Level).

Keep in mind that FAA knows and typically adheres to the RC 400 foot rule..however, that rule has typically existed as part of an agreement with a specific RC flying field. For instance, I work about 3 miles south of the threshold end of the N/S general aviation runway for Tulsa International Airport. The other day a co-worker and I (the coworker has a Phantom 1.1.1) were flying our birds and I took mine up to 400 feet. Now, at a charted club that might be considered ok given that they will have agreements with the FAA and the FAA would issue NOTAMs to that effect. However...400 AGL 3 miles south of what was likely the flight path for that general aviation runway was a bit stupid on my part. Luckily that day departures were taking off to the south and noise abatement rules require that planes either climb to 3000' ASAP (within 2 miles if turbine engines) or they have to turn out if not high performance climbers.

If they were landing to the north however, that could have been dicey to say the least.

While looking at the map, make note of the specific airport in question and see if their large runway looks like it lines up anywhere you may fly.

I'll try and answer any questions. If information like this has been posted previously, my apologies.

http://www.soaringdata.info/aviation/co ... 5-29.1.kmz

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj