FAA Aircraft Marking

Reaction score
Did a search here and didn't find anything...how do people put their FAA # on a Phantom 4? Any suggestions welcome...

I applied a sticker inside the battery compartment like this.

Reactions: Bckmstr
I also use the battery bay for mine. Just made some up with a Brother label maker.
Used the same to put my AMA number on the outer hull.
;)

Reactions: Rob Levine
Put mine on the landing skid (label maker). Looks very official :)

NoCo Drones

I put mine numbers on each battery with an Avery label, printed using a laser printer. I think it's easier to read when someone pulls the battery out.

On those days that I'm spying on the CIA, then I use a special battery with no sticker in case it gets shot down. Hah! Just kidding.

Reactions: suck it up
I put it on one side of the drone with my name and phone number on the
other side.

I use waterproof film tape which holds up better and longer than I thought it would. I make up the labels on my laptop and use my dedicated Brother Label Printer. I mount my P4 labels on the front leading edge of the body. I apply the labels on the top of my P3. I've made up labels for my real airplanes and helicopters as well as labels for our fire trucks etc. I've made up many for friends.

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Newbe here, first time on this thread. This for US pilots only. From my understand you do not need a "N" number as long as you only fly in the US but you do need your registration available. I have mine in the battery compartment of my phantom 4 and another copy in my drone backpack. Here is a paragraph from the FAA explaining their reasoning located in section H. Registration Marking located under
Registration and Marking Requirements for Small Unmanned Aircraft.
. "Finally, a number of commenters assumed that an FAA registration number would include the “N” prefix that is used for identification of U.S. registered aircraft. The agency clarifies that the registration numbers issued to small unmanned aircraft under the IFR are not intended to be used for nationality identification and thus will not include the “N” prefix because the part 48 registration process is available only to small unmanned aircraft operating within the United States."

Here is the link in case you want to read more Regulations.gov then go to the right under Docket Information.

I had a hard time finding this information to verify what the FAA verbally told me. To some that may not know every country has a unique aircraft prefix, in the US it is "N" and Canada it is "C".

Newbe here, first time on this thread. This for US pilots only. From my understand you do not need a "N" number as long as you only fly in the US but you do need your registration available. I have mine in the battery compartment of my phantom 4 and another copy in my drone backpack.
Up until recently Commercial UAS had to go through the paper registration process which assigned us a genuine N#. This process is still available should you want to (I can't imagine why you would) or if someone doesn't have access to a computer to use the online portal for registration.

I'd be VERY careful using that particular site for trying to give information to others. The reason is that is where pending regulations etc are posted for public comment and such. There are a LOT of things noted there that never came to regulation.

This is where I would suggest looking up/quoting regulations (go right to the source):
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/Help

Here's a quote from the FAA's website above on marking your aircraft:
8. How do I mark my unmanned aircraft with my unique registration number?
If you complete registration using the web-based registration process and satisfy the registration requirements, you may use a permanent marker, label, or engraving, as long as the number remains affixed to the aircraft during routine handling and all operating conditions and is readily accessible and legible upon close visual inspection. The number may also be enclosed in a compartment that is readily accessible, such as a battery compartment.

NOTE:

If you use(d) the paper route (and have an N#) you have to follow the guidelines associated with the N# which are buried in this comment:
Requirements for marking unmanned aircraft registered in accordance with the legacy registration system can be found in 14 CFR Part 45, subpart C. Guidance material on aircraft marking requirements in Part 45 can be found in Advisory Circular No. 45-2E Identification and Registration Marking.

Basically we are required to permanently affix legible and easy to distinguish numbers on the outside of the aircraft on 2 sides and as large as is possible.

Hopefully this helps clear it up "some".

BigA107 thank you for your response. Like I said I'm a newbe and I may be barking up the wrong tree. I was having a hard time with what was required until I figured out that Registration and the "N" number are two different things. Example of a "N" number is N1234D (delta) and a registration number is ten characters long or at least mine is. In my thread I quoted that the FAA will not include the "N" prefix and why and that is why I was unable to find it in any regs including the links you supplied. I know that you may request a "N" number but it is not required if you only fly in the US and under 55 lbs.

BigA107 thank you for your response. Like I said I'm a newbe and I may be barking up the wrong tree. I was having a hard time with what was required until I figured out that Registration and the "N" number are two different things. Example of a "N" number is N1234D (delta) and a registration number is ten characters long or at least mine is. In my thread I quoted that the FAA will not include the "N" prefix and why and that is why I was unable to find it in any regs including the links you supplied. I know that you may request a "N" number but it is not required if you only fly in the US and under 55 lbs.
You don't need an N number for recreational flying.

Printed on paper then taped on top with a few layers of transparent tape. Also sharpie on inside of battery compartment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan