F550 underwater adventure

Reaction score
My F550 went for a swim in one of the ponds located on a golf course close to my house. The F550 sank on Monday and was fished out yesterday (Wednesday) by the diver that goes to gather up golf balls. She came out pretty intact which the exception of the GoPro mount snapping off but everything else was there. She looked like she had been underwater for a few days. Unfortunately, the diver didn't call me right away since he didn't really know and by the time I got to her, she was pretty much dry. I would have like to have taken her from the pond to my house and start taking things apart.

I did start taking things apart last night. I opened up the iOSD and dried it out with canned air, I opend up the Spektrum AR8000 receiver (both pieces) and dried it out with canned air, I opened up the the GCU and did the same, the gimbal look pretty bad until I wiped it down but it was already showing signs of corrosion....that was fast. I cleaned up the HERO3 as much as I could, removed the battery and put it inside a airtight back with uncooked rice (testing out that urban legend). I didn't touch the motors since they were already starting to seize. It got pretty late so I didn't even bother with the NAZA or PMU. I also cleaned out my "New" FPV 600mw transmitter. This F550 must have sat in the sun for quite some time since it was pretty dry throughout but has that "I was in a flood" look.

I'm really curious, looking at my AR8000 receiver, it looks brand new still, does anyone think or know if it will be okay to use again?

The really sad part is that I had the HERO3 videoing but for some reason I can't open the video. I can see the other videos on the card but the one of the crash which is almost 850MB, I cannot open.......****!!! Any suggestions??

I did read if you put the card back in to "close the file" then it should read, as it stands there is no "end of file" since you didn't actually stop the recording.

And bad luck indeed.

So sorry to hear about your swim. Hope all dries out without too much damage. If you have another gopro or can borrow on for a minute or two...try inserting your micro SD card in it and power it up....it may be that with a sudden stop in power the video did not have time to format. It works with the PV2 when you forget to cut the camera off and power down. Just a suggestion, it may or may not work. Good luck.

Thanks!! It worked......video posted on YouTube.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1