F550 Flamewheel First Impression

I'm the proud owner of a Flamewheel for less than a week:

A completely outfitted Flamewheel is more expensive than a comparable Phantom. In the US, a P2 with zenmuse is 869 (or thereabouts). The Flamewheel with the same equipment is 1200. You get two more motors, a heavier lifting ability (you could forego the zenmuse and install a heavier camera and gimbal), and more stable flight with the Flamewheel. With stock battery, the Flamewheel flies about 1/2 as long as the P2.

The nice thing is that you can modify the Flamewheel much more easily - in fact, it invites you to. If you decide to build one from a kit (or scratch) then you can get it closer to a P2/Zenmuse cost but I didn't have the intestinal fortitude to launch into that. Now that I've it in front of me, I can actually imagine building one.

Since they are both DJI products and the F550 RTF version comes with DJI innards, there are lots of similarities - similar Assistant Software, etc. That is another way they compliment each other nicely.

FangsCPO said:
I'm guessing the F550 in one box and the radio, FPV, Lipo, gimble in a separate box. Now to see if both boxes arrive at the same time. This should be interesting. :lol:

I think mine had exactly that in the second box. They arrived together. Once they get out of Hong Kong, it should only take a short while to get to you.

The 550 looks like a great second purchase. I bought the P2 non vision with gimbal and have fixed it up FPV and added a futaba receiver and transmitter. I must admit that I have had so much fun geeking out my P2 and therefore I am going to buy the kit and just put a futaba receiver in it. The build looks fun, just wondering how much tinkering is needed to get the software in the naza correct. How well does it fly without adjusting gains etc?

Mark Miner

markminer said:
The 550 looks like a great second purchase. I bought the P2 non vision with gimbal and have fixed it up FPV and added a futaba receiver and transmitter. I must admit that I have had so much fun geeking out my P2 and therefore I am going to buy the kit and just put a futaba receiver in it. The build looks fun, just wondering how much tinkering is needed to get the software in the naza correct. How well does it fly without adjusting gains etc?

Mark Miner

If you build it, you will have to adjust things - which is normal. I bought it RTF and it flew just fine right out of the box (well... right out of the box plus a couple of hours and firmware upgrades, advanced calibration, iOSD update, and all the rest of the stuff). I did not try to baby it up in the air. Once it looked like it was getting light, I pushed the throttle forward and it jumped up to about 10 feet and I set the throttle at 50% and it hovered. I then did the normal things with making sure it was responding, GPS was working, yaw, pitch and roll were tolerable, etc. I need to fly it a lot more - any adjustments will be minor but right now it is so cold that I don't want to screw with it too much. I figure anything I do might need to be redone once the temps get above zero.

Like I said, this can only happen to me. Check out my shipping status report for my F550 from Heli-Pal. LOL!!!

Monday, February 10, 2014 Location Time
5 Returned to shipper HONG KONG - HONG KONG 15:34
4 With delivery courier HONG KONG - HONG KONG 14:40
3 Shipment on hold HONG KONG - HONG KONG 14:02

Saturday, February 08, 2014 Location Time
2 Shipment on hold HONG KONG - HONG KONG 20:16
1 Shipment picked up HONG KONG - HONG KONG 12:26

Fangs, that would drive me up a wall. I'm like a little spoiled kid when I order something... I just have to get it on time else I'm in a funk.

ladykate said:
Fangs, that would drive me up a wall. I'm like a little spoiled kid when I order something... I just have to get it on time else I'm in a funk.

I made a point of getting on a first-name basis with my regular UPS delivery driver (he stops here a LOT), now he always makes sure to drop my goodies off at the start of his route as early in the day as possible ;)

...which is good, because the way I pace around on delivery day was driving everyone in the house nuts lol.

ladykate said:

I believe in instant gratification and this is not working for me. I think it's the battery that's causing the issue. What a mess!!!Here's my latest update. I'm about to bust a blodd vessel over this crap. :x :x :x

The shipment is awaiting the next scheduled movement Next Step:

The shipment will be processed in the next available movement
Destination Service Area: SOUTH SAN DIEGO, CA - CHULA VISTA, - USA

***Tuesday, February 11, 2014 Location Time Pieces
3 Shipment on hold HONG KONG - HONG KONG 8:36 PM

***Monday, February 10, 2014 Location Time Pieces
2 Shipment on hold HONG KONG - HONG KONG 10:04 PM
1 Shipment picked up HONG KONG - HONG KONG 5:27 PM +2 Pieces
JD014600000172193339
JD014600000172193340

I don't have a first impression of my F550 but I do have a first impression of HeliPal. My package is out for delivery.....................IN HONG KONG. WTF!!!

Dear Steven

Great! Your order (325099) is out for delivery on 2014-02-12 08:07:00.

View Tracking Details: https://helipal.aftership.com/6333887055
Tracking Number: 6333887055
Latest Status: Out For Delivery
Latest Location: HONG KONG - HONG KONG
Expected Delivery Date: Not Available.
Courier: DHL
Courier Contact: 18002255345 (United States)

zoochase said:
After losing my P2, I really wanted to get a 550 but the flight time scared me away. Maybe it will be my 3rd UAV................

A stock f550 is like a P1 with its flight times. However, it is very 'moldable'. With 6 motors I doubt you will get 20 minutes with a full load but take it as a challenge and see if you can. ;-)

Seriously, the two are complimentary but not equal. The 550 lets you play and make your machine uniquely yours. It has several capabilities the P2 doesn't but flight times - at least stock rtf - is not one.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20