F550 Flamewheel First Impression

OI Photography,

I see you have the Aimdroix arms for your f550... Something I plan on eventually getting for mine...

But what are the types of motors you are using?

PJA said:
OI Photography,

I see you have the Aimdroix arms for your f550... Something I plan on eventually getting for mine...

But what are the types of motors you are using?

Yup, lovin the Aimdroix arms, I got the extended set, which pushes the total diameter to 650mm. I was hesitant because some users reported that the arms "sing" (resonate like a tuning fork), but I don't seem to experience that at all.

I'm using the SunnySky 3508 700kv: http://www.buddyrc.com/sunnysky-v3508-16-700kv.html

Came very close to getting the 2814 700kv instead: http://www.buddyrc.com/sunnysky-v2814-1 ... motor.html

Those two models seemed to be cost-effective alternatives to the T-motor and Avroto's in the same size/kv range.

I'm using a 4s batt btw.

Moderator: We should have a dedicated F550 thread. Looks like many of us Phantom owners, also have F550, and would like to have discussion threads.

rmklaw said:
Moderator: We should have a dedicated F550 thread. Looks like many of us Phantom owners, also have F550, and would like to have discussion threads.

I sent Adam a PM a couple of days ago, still sitting in my outbox so I assume he hasn't read it yet. I guess this thread will do for now lol.

OI Photography said:
Yup, lovin the Aimdroix arms, I got the extended set, which pushes the total diameter to 650mm. I was hesitant because some users reported that the arms "sing" (resonate like a tuning fork), but I don't seem to experience that at all.

I also read somewhere that using the extended arms aren't as stable in a "f550" platform...

Can you post pics of your complete set up? I often search YouTube and RCForums for ideas on how to improve my build... I hope to get it off the ground in a couple weeks. I have the ARF kit version + Naza V2 w GPS + cheap landing legs (for now - I plan on adding retracts), and like I said, I'm interested in upgrading to the Aimdroix arms... I'll also be using a Futaba 8J (H version).

The f550 Flamewheel is a nice upgrade and compliment to a Phantom...

Thanks for the input...

OI Photography said:
WWgzWwel.jpg

Maybe I just got up too early this morning, but I swear those props look upside down?

So guys, what are the pros of F550 over Phantom?
I know it has bigger lift and I think it has redundancy due to hex rotors... and plenty to customise and easy to access the innards... but the flight time is less? Also bigger, so not as easy to travel with?

Also, why use it with go pro? :mrgreen:

ElGuano said:
Maybe I just got up too early this morning, but I swear those props look upside down?

Better?

WWgzWwel.jpg

lol I think it's just the lousy lighting in that shot, but they're on the right way there. They're just some cheap gemfan CF-blend props, 11x5, that I'm using for now till I get the airframe setup all dialed in. Then I'll be testing some various options in the 10-12" range.

UbrMAkRl.jpg

kM8aaP3l.jpg

6G3BRwSl.jpg

i3rrDd3l.jpg

PJA, I hadn't heard about instability with longer arms, but I could see that it might happen if you stayed with 9" or 10" props. There's also other extended-arm and arm-extension options available that all seemed less structurally sound than these, which is one of the main reasons I settled on the Aimdroix.

I have a ton of pics and info on my build I need to get organized and posted, I was planning to do that once everything was finished, but since I may never achieve that state and there's enough interest now I'll try to get them up soon.

Leo, I'm just using the gopro as a stop-gap measure till I can test and decide on options for a better camera (and matching gimbal).

OI Photography said:
ElGuano said:
lol I think it's just the lousy lighting in that shot, but they're on the right way there. They're just some cheap gemfan CF-blend props, 11x5, that I'm using for now till I get the airframe setup all dialed in. Then I'll be testing some various options in the 10-12" range.

Oh I see. From the crops they look like 9443s, which have an opposite profile from yours (deeper sweep on the trailing edge).

A camera better than a Go Pro. Wow!: I'm using a HERO 3 Black and I think it's badass. Have you seen the heavy lift kit for the F550? Looks like one neck of an upgrade.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

FangsCPO said:
A camera better than a Go Pro. Wow!: I'm using a HERO 3 Black and I think it's badass. Have you seen the heavy left kit for the F550? Looks like one neck of an upgrade.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

If you're talking about the ones Aerial Media Pros sells, yes I took a very close look at those and came very close to ordering the newer one (which I see now is no longer listed on the site). They still have the original one: http://aerialmediapros.com/store/f450-f ... otors.html

...but I didn't like the idea of just adding extensions at the tips of the plastic (flexible) stock DJI arms. I have seen reports of those flexing under enough load, and I knew I'd be trying to push the 550 platform as far as it could go in terms of weight.

OK... I can see where I could sink a bucket of money into this sucker (as Ol Photography warned).

I bought a chunk of connectors and the LED strips and ... stuff already. Now I'm looking at the 'stock' DJI landing gear and thinking it could be better. They seem to flex a bit - and while that might be OK, it is bothersome when I touch down and see them chatter. I want to keep my GoPro as the camera of choice and it looks like the saddle solutions on eBay and the ones I saw by Google fu seem to expect a heavier gimble/camera setup - it is unclear the Zenmuse would fit them. Of course, the way the Zenmuse fits my current setup is that it is zip tied on - which works surprisingly well.

My current legs *really* don't like the snow.

f550firstflight2-smaller.jpg

Any suggestions for a setup that is light and strong and appropriate for a cheapo GoPro Black? ;-}

OI Photography said:
There's several versions of this one available all over the net: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AH-3-New-Landin ... 1077301323

The one I'm using is a bit heavier than that one and more expensive, but also extremely well-engineered: http://www.aeroxcraft.com/index.php?mai ... ucts_id=20

As you can see, the mounting bracket in the front will allow you to attach most any of the common gimbals for the gopro.

Wow... I looked at the one you have. Very nice and you are right - the popup image shows a very well engineered piece. The first one you linked is the one I kept running into. Have you ever seen one up close and personal?

Nope, but from the pictures I've seen, it looks like it'll give even a little more ground clearance than the ones I'm using...which already give an inch or two above the DJI gear you have. This is a pic from early in the build when I still had the stock arms and gear on, and added the aeroxcraft gear for comparison:

ngkWp3Ml.jpg

I ordered one. It may be a little while before I can test it since I'm traveling (or at least I think I am) for a week or so. Clearance isn't the problem of course. Those stock pointy legs grab into ground and even hard pack or concrete. I haven't had any tip overs but when it chatters on the driveway, my brow furrows.

I was thinking of keeping a running total of my mods but it is getting scary already... Better just stick my head in the sand.

OI Photography said:
There's several versions of this one available all over the net: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AH-3-New-Landin ... 1077301323

The one I'm using is a bit heavier than that one and more expensive, but also extremely well-engineered: http://www.aeroxcraft.com/index.php?mai ... ucts_id=20

As you can see, the mounting bracket in the front will allow you to attach most any of the common gimbals for the gopro.

Wow!!! Those look awesome but they also look quite heavy when compared to the stock DJI ones I'm getting. I hope it arrives this week so I can use it this weekend at my off-road R/C races.

FangsCPO said:
Wow!!! Those look awesome but they also look quite heavy when compared to the stock DJI ones I'm getting. I hope it arrives this week so I can use it this weekend at my off-road R/C races.

The stock ones work - don't worry about that. It's just that they have a couple of drawbacks that I think can be improved upon. Don't worry about using them. I have been using mine (haven't a replacement as yet) and I haven't flopped it over.

ladykate said:
Got my Flamewheel (RTF) from Helipal yesterday morning. Assembled it (was not really RTF but was 'almost'.) It arrived by DHL the next day after Helipal said it was shipped. That was awesome.

Wow $1200 eh? Almost regret getting my Phantom 3 Zen now. This is worse than buying purses (sorry for the sexist reference).

So what's the advantage of the 550 over the phantom 2? Maybe a subject for a different thread (and has probably been covered ad nauseam). Carries the same camera payload. Same FPV options?

I'm collecting micro quads right now so I can practice in the house. I like switching between my Proto X and Husban X4. Same diff?

Thanks,

Darn my luck is so good.....this could only happen to me. My F550 from HeliPal was shipped on the 7th but sent back to the Heli-pal so it has re-shipped again today (2/10). Now it's waiting for the next available movement to start heading this way. It also states two pieces, I'm guessing the F550 in one box and the radio, FPV, Lipo, gimble in a separate box. Now to see if both boxes arrive at the same time. This should be interesting. :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20