F&!$^$# Wi-fi Issues -- Solved???

Reaction score
I've posted on here, mostly about my wifi issues -- I wish I could make other contributions to the forum -- but I can't get over my own issues :roll: .

A brief summary from start to now:
- I crashed on my first flight, damaged one of the wires on the 8-pin camera cable. **Note: I did not have the stock gimbal/camera installed at that time** This newb installed a H3-3D and GoPro on my first flight.
- As a result of the above (or so I thought), the picture on my phone (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) would freeze and pixilate -- this is obviously after I went back to the stock PV2+ setup.
- I fixed the damaged wire, and all camera-to-wifi module wires while I was at it.
- The issue was better for about 10-15 minutes on my subsequent flight, then it reverted back.
- I could take stills and start/stop the video... basically do everything other than see what the camera saw.
- I left the drone alone for about 2 weeks -- tried to fly it last weekend -- and would get the "connection broken" when in the app.
- I replaced the wifi module inside -- and the frozen picture/ pixilation issue was fixed -- and I was good to go, or so I thought.
- I get great video feed, regardless of the preview setting.
- I replaced my Galaxy Nexus, with a Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon Wireless service provided) and picked up a Verizon Wireless tablet while I was at it.
- Both phone and tablet seem to have a stronger wifi antenna, as I got better reception of known networks... so I thought problem solved.... still no.

Bottom line: I get a good picture, I can take stills and video when the motors are off and when they are on. But as soon as I lift off, I immediately lose the wifi signal and get the signal broken message. I don't even get the telemetry readings -- which I did when this problem first started.

I have tried the roll-back of the app. I've updated the firmware. I've rolled back the firmware. All batteries (phantom, range extender, phone, tablet) are all FULLY charged. I've tried it in airplane mode. I've deleted all other networks that I previously connected to. I've read basically every thread on this forum that covers this topic, tried everything and still have no luck.

UPDATE, 9/1/2014, 7:32pm -- I tried turning off the mobile data on my Galaxy S5 -- it worked, while I stood inside and flew outside, I got maybe 60 seconds of flight time. Figuring I fixed the problem, I put in a new battery, went outside and back to the same old issue, connection break upon takeoff.

My only other option is to replace the range extender -- but at $140 -- I can't keep up with this guess and hope strategy....

UPDATE 9/7/2014 -- see my post on the 2nd page, I think I solved my problem. I was an expensive guess-and-check process, but I got a full flight with full FPV.

I would welcome any serious suggestions on getting this resolved.

Re: F&!$^$# Wi-fi Issues

I'm not a vision or vision+ guy, but during my research there was mention of people connecting to the wrong Wi-Fi. In essence connecting straight to P2's Wi-Fi (add hoc) instead of connecting to Wi-Fi extender.

Also people doing initial set up and using their house's Wi-Fi, which can be an issue once the P2 gets away from house. Maybe?

If you are using the tablet, don't let your phone get near the P2V+ or it will mess up the wifi connection. This is probably not your problem, but it happened to me with Galaxy S4 and Galaxy note tablet. Using the tablet, I couldn't connect properly to the camera wifi because my phone had already connected.

Jstic said:
If you are using the tablet, don't let your phone get near the P2V+ or it will mess up the wifi connection. This is probably not your problem, but it happened to me with Galaxy S4 and Galaxy note tablet. Using the tablet, I couldn't connect properly to the camera wifi because my phone had already connected.

No the tablet and phone are not near each other, and I just checked, the tablet wifi is off. I used my phone, at least it fits in the holder.

I rebound the camera, got a good signal, so I started the Phantom, blades connected -- on my dining room table. Held it down (of course) and went full power -- the signal did not get lost. I carried it outside the front door, put it down, as soon as I stepped out of the house, signal lost. Then I walk back into the house and the signal returns. I was able to fly and get about 15 seconds of video, while I was in the house.... obviously I have ZERO trust in the signal, so I walked forward to keep visual and lost the signal.... call it a day, walk back in the house, put everything on the table and poof, the signal reconnects....

It has to be the wifi repeater.... it only seems to work indoors....

I had same problem with S 3 and found out its a android setting problem. The android default is to change to a preferred or stronger wifi signal automatically. You need to disable this feature and your device will stay locked. You might even use airplane mode to prevent calls, ect. Hope this helps! :)

Fplvert said:
I had same problem with S 3 and found out its a android setting problem. The android default is to change to a preferred or stronger wifi signal automatically. You need to disable this feature and your device will stay locked. You might even use airplane mode to prevent calls, ect. Hope this helps! :)

Would you be able tell me how to change that setting? I'm in the advanced settings on my phone now and don't see an option to change or stay connected....

Look on page 49 of the P2V+ manual. Paragraph 3.9.

Jstic said:
Look on page 49 of the P2V+ manual. Paragraph 3.9.

Thanks for the suggestion... I had actually just read on another site about the mobile data setting. I turned that off and tried again. It worked, as long as I stood inside my house and flew. I flew maybe 60 seconds, stayed connected the entire time. I figured the issue was solved, so I landed, put in a new battery, got all connected again, walked outside to fly and the connection broke upon takeoff :evil:

Still sounds like your phone is connecting to your house Wi-Fi "forget that connection" in your phone settings if your testing at house. Then once your Wi-Fi extender is on search for Wi-Fi and connect to the extender.

I found this on you tube. The poster had sprint using HTC not sure if your carrier or phone is similar. Scroll past the posters initial add about coins ;)

DJI Phantom 2 Vision Connection Broken FIX: http://youtu.be/Ad4aJ3EL3lk

I have a similar issue. I cannot get my phantom wifi right outside my house. Works fine inside. If I go a mile away at a local park I can fly with fpv to 2600 ft. There is something in my neighborhood that kills the phantom wifi. I have given up on it as it really doesn't affect me too much.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION FOUND

Okay -- I've posted enough here to describe my issues -- no sense getting into it further.

I have done the following:
- Replaced the wires from the camera to wifi module (helped, did not fix the issue)
- Replaced the wifi module (again helped, but did not fixed the issue)
- Replaced the range extender (no change)
- Replaced the camera and very carefully rerouted the wires I previously replaced (they are now taped tight to the little white clip by the USB hub) -- result -- was perfect video, using a Verizon Ellipsis 7 tablet.

I had my mobile data turned off -- I was NOT in airplane mode.

Now, my understanding, is that the camera (other than sending the video) -- was NOT part of the wifi system, as you are technically binding the wifi module. I was able to get a full battery of flight time -- I did have one minor connection broken message -- but the signal reacquired after about 1-2 seconds. I had full and pretty accurate telemetry, except the range extender battery was not showing up.

Bottom line, if you are having wifi issues -- especially with an android phone or tablet -- it may NOT be a software issue. I almost didn't swap the camera, as I really didn't expect it to make a difference. I am up to date on all firmware, app, etc. I'm am truly hopeful this will solve my issue.

I have same problem here on my roof top but anywhere else is fine. I wonder if its the wifi interference. It just disconnects as soon as taking off. But there was a period of time when the problem went away. I found it was also that time when my tablet can only find 1~2 wifis, normally there would be a lot of wifis. So my big guess is that wifi interference caused those problems.

Imhenry said:
I have same problem here on my roof top but anywhere else is fine. I wonder if its the wifi interference. It just disconnects as soon as taking off. But there was a period of time when the problem went away. I found it was also that time when my tablet can only find 1~2 wifis, normally there would be a lot of wifis. So my big guess is that wifi interference caused those problems.

Get a wifi analyzer app so you can see what channels all wifi's are on.
And yes wifi interference is a big issue !
Most use channel 1 if used stock. Also the V+ does and changing channel would be a solution but isn't a option on the V+.

It sounds to me like the OP's problem is EMI. Many people use wifi boosters at home and in businesses, so the environment can really be contaminated with stray wifi signals. Try to fly in another location to see if there is any difference.

Sent my Phantom back to B&H Photo. WIFI stopped working after three short flights. They told me the turnaround for repairs will be 4 to 6 weeks......My first Phantom worked perfectly until it flew away and landed in the Chesapeake Bay!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4