Extreme Color Grading - Testing the limits of the P3's footage

Reaction score
I've looked and tweaked P3 footage enough to be happy with my preferred camera settings. But wanted to see how well the .MOV codec holds up in post to some fairly extreme pushing in pulling.

The codec really falls apart when YouTube does is "magic". I'm rendering an MP4 with CBR 50Mb/s which should be overkill for YouTube. The Rendered MP4 looks good on my computer but YouTube trashes a lot of the info. The motion on some of the scenes is fairly atrocious. Any suggestions are warmly welcome.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrcacaman
YouTube's compression codec is pretty horrendous, it will trash any video with a lot of action. Vimeo is a little better but costs if you have a business account. YouTube does post their recommendations on upload format here:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Reactions: fhagan02
Good grade work. My challenge is the P3 color in general. So much P3 video has over saturated greens and feels very cool. I've been splicing some P3 footage with some GoPro and 5D shots. Fixing the color is taking forever.

Such dramatic improvement in the color just with Premeir Pro. I'm torn between the CC subscription and the Sony Catalyst software, which also has some great color correction tools.

Good grade work. My challenge is the P3 color in general. So much P3 video has over saturated greens and feels very cool. I've been splicing some P3 footage with some GoPro and 5D shots. Fixing the color is taking forever.
Thanks much. Yep, I've noticed this too. Custom WB seems to be the first line of defense for me on the P3's camera. I actually kick it down to the cooler side than what I think the environment would normally require. Helps tremendously with the over saturated green/yellow color hue. I use: LOG profile, Sharpness -2, Contrast -3, Saturation -2.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31