Extracting pictures and video from vision 2 plus

Reaction score
Hello folks,
I feel really dumb, but I am having a heck of a time figuring out how to get the pictures and video from my vision through the usb. I'm trying it on my windows xp system and windows 8

It works fine if I eject the card and use a card reader. I just can't get to them when I plug the vision in the computer through the usb?

Can someone help explain how to do this?
Thanks larry

Larry9901 said:
Hello folks,
I feel really dumb, but I am having a heck of a time figuring out how to get the pictures and video from my vision through the usb. I'm trying it on my windows xp system and windows 8

It works fine if I eject the card and use a card reader. I just can't get to them when I plug the vision in the computer through the usb?

Thanks larry

There are 2 micro usb on the phantom. they are separate from each other
The one on the front of the phantom is for the phantom's MC.
Look around the silver camera gimbal and you'll see at the back is another micro USB. You want this one.
Power on the Phantom and it should connect as an external drive.

***JUST A NOTE*** please remove gimbal clamp when powering phantom.
Don't do an IMU calibration if its been on and idling for 2 minutes or so as the board will get warm without the props cooling.

Larry is there a reason you don't like to use the card reader?

rrmccabe said:

I actually love using the card reader as it's easy to use my adapter for the iPad.

The only reason I was going to go from the usb is I read somewhere on this site that the lock that holds the card in place on the phantom can wear out. That's the only reason.

Mako79 said:
Larry9901 said:
Hello folks,

Thanks larry

There are 2 micro usb on the phantom. they are separate from each other
The one on the front of the phantom is for the phantom's MC.
Look around the silver camera gimbal and you'll see at the back is another micro USB. You want this one.
Power on the Phantom and it should connect as an external drive.

***JUST A NOTE*** please remove gimbal clamp when powering phantom.
Don't do an IMU calibration if its been on and idling for 2 minutes or so as the board will get warm without the props cooling.

Thanks for the tip,
I'm going to check it out now.
Regarding the imu calibration.
Whenever I tried it, it always says imu not needed.
When and how would I know if imu does need calibration?

Lastly, sometimes when I power up the phantom the camera is slightly tilted. I notice it in the pictures as you can see the horizon is on a slight angle.
How do I correct this?

Thanks for the help guys! This sure is a resourceful site.
Larry

IMU is the inertia measuring unit. In there is the gyro/accelerometer and barometer. Gyro for stability and velocity measurements, and barometer for the height measurement. These are sensitive to bumps.
If your are doing an ADVANCED IMU, make sure you have it on a bubble spirited levelled surface so it reflects the horizon. Make sure you do it immediately when turning on the phantom as MC board can overheat on standby and cause irregularities with the baro readings as its pressure sensitive (heat expands air).

I do ADV IMU everytime I plug her in just to make sure the MOD readings are within the suggested range.

THe phantom always power up with a slight yaw tilt. That is normal. When in flight however, it correct itself and it should mimic the horizon.

If its off by a few degrees, then you need to an ADV IMU calibration. This only fixes the tiny 1-2 degree tilts. If that doesn't work then it means your phantom has had a bump and the camera shaft to the gimbal has come loose/misaligned.
Fix it immediately incase the camera falls off and tears the valuable black ribbon cable. This cable is more expensive than unobtainium on Pandora. Have a read on a thread called "Camera Tilt Solved"(I cant find link).

Mako79 said:
IMU is the inertia measuring unit. In there is the gyro/accelerometer and barometer. Gyro for stability and velocity measurements, and barometer for the height measurement. These are sensitive to bumps.
If your are doing an ADVANCED IMU, make sure you have it on a bubble spirited levelled surface so it reflects the horizon. Make sure you do it immediately when turning on the phantom as MC board can overheat on standby and cause irregularities with the baro readings as its pressure sensitive (heat expands air).

I do ADV IMU everytime I plug her in just to make sure the MOD readings are within the suggested range.

THe phantom always power up with a slight yaw tilt. That is normal. When in flight however, it correct itself and it should mimic the horizon.

If its off by a few degrees, then you need to an ADV IMU calibration. This only fixes the tiny 1-2 degree tilts. If that doesn't work then it means your phantom has had a bump and the camera shaft to the gimbal has come loose/misaligned.
Fix it immediately incase the camera falls off and tears the valuable black ribbon cable. This cable is more expensive than unobtainium on Pandora. Have a read on a thread called "Camera Tilt Solved"(I cant find link).

Thanks Mako79,

I do have a 1- 1.5 degree tilt with the camera. I tried a adv imu calibration and it didn't correct it. I'll try the calibration again.

I haven't had any crashes or hard landings. Hopefully a calibration option will be available with one of the firmware updates.

Larry9901 said:
rrmccabe said:

I actually love using the card reader as it's easy to use my adapter for the iPad.

The only reason I was going to go from the usb is I read somewhere on this site that the lock that holds the card in place on the phantom can wear out. That's the only reason.

Yea thats a valid reason. I just dont like the speed of USB !

Besides the cameras are cheap so you can just replace it if needed :eek:

Larry9901 said:
Mako79 said:

Thanks Mako79,

I do have a 1- 1.5 degree tilt with the camera. I tried a adv imu calibration and it didn't correct it. I'll try the calibration again.

I haven't had any crashes or hard landings. Hopefully a calibration option will be available with one of the firmware updates.

That's the links..
Just open the lower gimbal motor with the 3 screws and see if the flat part of the "D" is in harmony with the camera. It's very hard to judge with the eye if you are 1-2 degrees off. Maybe use a camera and take a photo and use MS paint and draw lines to see if they are parallel.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19653&p=230793&hilit=tilt+solved#p230793
http://youtu.be/SFxM8OOWRQc

I am having the exact opposite problem and I can't seem to find a solution. I can read the photos by plugging the Phantom into my computer, but when I take the card out, either my 32 GB or 4 GB and put it in a reader there is never any files on the cards. In addition when I check the properties of the drive created by plugging the Phantom directly it is always 4 GB even though I used a 32 GB card in the gimbal slot. I am wondering if there is somehow 4 GB onboard memory when there is no card and that somehow the cards are not going in properly as both the 4 GB card and the 32 GB card seem difficult to insert. Anyone got an idea what the problem is?

Mako79 said:
Larry9901 said:
Mako79 said:

Thanks Mako79,

That's the links..
Just open the lower gimbal motor with the 3 screws and see if the flat part of the "D" is in harmony with the camera. It's very hard to judge with the eye if you are 1-2 degrees off. Maybe use a camera and take a photo and use MS paint and draw lines to see if they are parallel.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19653&p=230793&hilit=tilt+solved#p230793
http://youtu.be/SFxM8OOWRQc

Thanks for the help,
I did re calibrate it on a flat surface. Although I didn't confirm it with a level. The surface was my dining room table and it appears to be level though. I didn't realize it was that critical where it should be confirmed with a level that it is perfect first.
Also, I did pull the back cap off and it is hard to tell. But it is slightly off the center. (About 1-2 degrees)

I'm just afraid to remove the circuit board and manually turn the pressed fit shaft.
Ugh, what to do.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav