Extra parts in kit?

Reaction score
I found this extra ribbon cable in the gimbal kit that after a little checking on the net appears to be for another DJI Copter (F450) I'm sure it's superfluous to requirements on a Phantom 2 but thought I'd check, if it is needed I have no idea what it's for as everything works fine. I just can't figure out why? if it's for another DJI drone it would be included in a box that has a big sticker on it stating the kit is for a Phantom 2 only!

Attachments

• IMG_2645web.jpg
    IMG_2645web.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 489
Its the ribbon cable that attaches to the H3-3D gimbal and then connects to the GoPro via a usb adaptor.

@Mick Don't toss that ribbon cable. I couldn't figure out one day why I wasn't getting video reception and posted here looking for help and come to find out it was this ribbon cable that had a small tear. I ended up ordering a few from Amazon just in case in the near future it happened again. Happy Holidays

Mick Emmett said:
Not a problem at the moment as I haven't got any FPV kit for it yet, when I said above that everything works fine; I meant gimbal wise. I'll start shopping around for a FPV set up after the holidays when things have returned to normal.

That ribbon cable is a major source of frustration for many GoPro users. It breaks off or falls out often and is always in the way of removing your micro SD card from the GoPro. In fact, many users nowadays are replacing the ribbon cable with a GoPro "hero port" on the mount that plugs directly into the back of the GoPro. This was present in the older H3-2D gimbal but removed from the H3-3D supposedly because DJI didn't want to pay license fees to GoPro for using it in their design. Anyway, that is the issue and you should definitely hang onto the extra part; there is a reason they give you an extra one :cool:

Are the parts readily available to this mod? Once done does it give you any extra functions? such as the ability to take single or burst stills or are you still stuck with the settings you fed in before you took off? I suppose what I'm asking is are there any other advantages to replacing the ribbon with the Hero port other than you get rid of the ribbon?

Mick Emmett said:
Are the parts readily available to this mod? Once done does it give you any extra functions? such as the ability to take single or burst stills or are you still stuck with the settings you fed in before you took off? I suppose what I'm asking is are there any other advantages to replacing the ribbon with the Hero port other than you get rid of the ribbon?

Yes, nowadays the replacement part is easily obtained, for example here http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-h3-3d-3-axis-gimbal-upgrade-back-insert-av-output-part.html. It is an easy install and although it doesn't add functionality, it sort of replaces the crummy DJI solution for connecting the GoPro to the way GoPro intended them to be attached. Believe me, over the long term, it is MUCH better and removes a huge pain in the butt. It also just "feels" like a stronger and better connection. For some reason, some Hero 4 owners report problems with this but I am not sure that this is not an issue with a specific bad part or not. Hope this helps ;)

Yes that helps a lot, I've ordered one but as you say a lot of reports say the gopro hero 4 black doesn't support AV out by the rear connection. They said that the lcd bacpac wouldn't work with the hero 4 for the same reason but mine works fine, guess I'll only know when I've fitted it and tested it. Thanks for the info.

Mick Emmett said:
Yes that helps a lot, I've ordered one but as you say a lot of reports say the gopro hero 4 black doesn't support AV out by the rear connection. They said that the lcd bacpac wouldn't work with the hero 4 for the same reason but mine works fine, guess I'll only know when I've fitted it and tested it. Thanks for the info.

You're more than welcome! Happy New Year!

Well the "DJI H3-3D 3 Axis Gimbal Upgrade Back-insert AV Output Part" arrived today, it took a little over a week to come from Banggood Technology in China at a total cost of £9.84 ($14.92). Fitted it on the gimbal and it works perfectly on my GoPro Hero 4 Black, no more floppy lead for me and access to the micro SD is unhindered now. Result!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj