External wifi repeater anyone?

Reaction score
There is one guy who makes a wireless connection to extend range, but he doesn't use an amp. His thread is in the P2V+ mod forum, I believe. His username is RedBird IIRC.

If you're serious about this kind of thing, I think your best method would be to mod the controller. Many have done that and added amps, but nobody has used an amp above 4 watts, I don't think.

If you want to try this 20 watt amp and make it work, you'd be the first!

20W? Thats illegal and you would seriously disrupt other equipment on the 2.4 Ghz band. It also wouldnt help a lot if you only increase the power on the receiver (controller), and not the transmitter (quadcopter) or vice versa.

Besides, the key to better range is better and more directional antenna's. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Yagi-Antenna...ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1471850146&sr=1-2
It will need to pointed in the right direction though. To give you some idea, TBS achieved 100Km with just 1 watt:

Yes, its analog FPV, not exactly apples to apples, but it shows the idea.

20W? Thats illegal ....

whisperingsmiley.gif
Isn't any amplification over 100 mw without a license technically illegal?

whisperingsmiley.gif
Isn't any amplification over 100 mw without a license technically illegal?

Depends where you live, but yeah, probably. Still there is a difference between bending the rules with a ~1W booster (which I believe is technically allowed indoors) and a 20W booster that is very likely to disrupt wifi, cordless phones and other nearby equipment. Not too mention, anyone else flying RC.

Especially if you use a non-directional antenna !

Haha yes, the 20w amp would be total overkill.

Just wondering if there is a proof of concept out there. Something connected like this

Controller---->wifi router booster ----> amp ----> roof mounted antenna.

I think it would be so much fun to fly with FPV on a big screen TV while sitting in the comfort of my living room.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie