external drive and editing

Reaction score
looking at getting an external portable hard drive to be able to keep all my footage off my main laptop. can i keep the files on that drive and still run them in light room for pics or premier pro for the videos? or do i need to save them to the comp before going to edit?

Depends how detailed you're editing. I edit from an external drive. If you have USB3.0 you shouldn't see to much of a problem (depending on comp specs too). If you're editing monster files and trying to make an oscar worthy movie, then I'd suggest to have everything on your computer drive and when you're done move it all to the external.

If you're only editing on a laptop, I'd suggest editing directly on it. Unless you have a seriously powerful laptop, editing / rendering will destroy it, lol.

Depends how detailed you're editing. I edit from an external drive. If you have USB3.0 you shouldn't see to much of a problem (depending on comp specs too). If you're editing monster files and trying to make an oscar worthy movie, then I'd suggest to have everything on your computer drive and when you're done move it all to the external.

If you're only editing on a laptop, I'd suggest editing directly on it. Unless you have a seriously powerful laptop, editing / rendering will destroy it, lol.

i render and work with 4k using the proxies on Premier Pro but didnt want to use all my space on my laptop so thats why im looking into the external. thinking about the wd my passport 2tb external usb 3.0 portable hard drive. i should be able to edit right off of that?

You should be good then. Depends on how much you're working with in the editing panel. For example, if you have 83 clips in there vs like 10-20 clips then you'll start to see lag during playback. Rendering will be fine, maybe a few secs slower but you should be fine overall. Also depends on how color grading detail, effects, etc you put into it also. So many factors. But to answer your question, yes you're good. lol

Reactions: BlueMan
You can use an external drive but there are some things to keep in mind any time you move files off the SD card. You need to at least save them into different folders on the HD in order to avoid an issue of writing over files with the same name.

I currently use a 5GB external HD to save all files into my computer. I do all of my editing from that drive. My editing software creates proxie files, as mentioned, so speed is not a big issue. I then also use a smaller portable 1TB on the road to save files.

You also want to develop a system of where you are pulling these files from for editing. As mentioned, I always pull them from my 5TB hard drive. If I were to pull them from the 1TB drive and save that edit for later, I'd need to leave those files on that HD and have that HD plugged in at that time. This is why I now always use that same 5TB for all editing on that computer.

Reactions: BlueMan
You can use an external drive but there are some things to keep in mind any time you move files off the SD card. You need to at least save them into different folders on the HD in order to avoid an issue of writing over files with the same name.

I currently use a 5GB external HD to save all files into my computer. I do all of my editing from that drive. My editing software creates proxie files, as mentioned, so speed is not a big issue. I then also use a smaller portable 1TB on the road to save files.

You also want to develop a system of where you are pulling these files from for editing. As mentioned, I always pull them from my 5TB hard drive. If I were to pull them from the 1TB drive and save that edit for later, I'd need to leave those files on that HD and have that HD plugged in at that time. This is why I now always use that same 5TB for all editing on that computer.
Awesome. Yea I plan on doing all the editing and keeping all my files on the 2TB external drive

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl