Extending the wifi range of the FC40 camera

dragonash said:
it sounds like you got way too involved in the settings. No need to get so deep into it.
I dont have my repeater next to me(linksys with ddwrt), but all you really need to do is set it to repeater mode, name your router FC40_anyname and also join it to your camera.

Set all security to off.
Thats about it.

I can try to post pics when i get home

Thanks dragonash - that would be great. I'm pretty comfortable with networking but this one really bugged me. My ddwrt is on a Buffalo WHR router, not a Linksys, but I also have a WRT54G which I might reflash if this continues to not work.

9Jamie said:
horne47789 said:
I spent all of last night playing with the settings of a dd-wrt based router and eventually got it to a point where my Android app could pull the stored images and video from the camera but could not get the live video feed going.

I have to turn on the DMZ(De-military Zone) function for the DHCP IP address, e.g. 192.168.2.100 in my Tenda A6 router in order to have the live video FPV from the FC40 camera. Try Try..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'll try that Jamie - cheers.

horne47789 said:
dragonash said:
it sounds like you got way too involved in the settings. No need to get so deep into it.
I dont have my repeater next to me(linksys with ddwrt), but all you really need to do is set it to repeater mode, name your router FC40_anyname and also join it to your camera.

Set all security to off.
Thats about it.

I can try to post pics when i get home

Thanks dragonash - that would be great. I'm pretty comfortable with networking but this one really bugged me. My ddwrt is on a Buffalo WHR router, not a Linksys, but I also have a WRT54G which I might reflash if this continues to not work.

While not quite positive, I'm pretty sure the model doesnt matter as DDWRT's menus are all the same.
If you are around your router right now, you can give this a shot

Taken from the DDWRT wiki
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

(fyi, no need for different subnets - but do remember to name your new repeater with FC40_anyname)

Open the Wireless -> Basic Settings tab
Physical Interface Section
Wireless Mode : Repeater Bridge
Wireless Network Mode : Must Match Primary Router
Wireless Network Name(SSID) : Must Match Primary Router exactly including exact case- Make sure you spell this correctly
Wireless Channel : Must Match Primary Router (This will disappear once you put it in RB mode, and isn't needed)
Wireless SSID Broadcast : Enable
Network Configuration : Bridged
Save
Virtual Interfaces Section
Add
Wireless Network Name(SSID) : Different from Primary Router
[NOTE] - You CAN try using the same SSID but it usually will not work properly. Many have had random disconnects and/or no connection if the SSID's are the same.
Wireless SSID Broadcast : Enable
AP Isolation : Disable
Network Configuration : Bridged
Save
Open the Wireless -> Wireless Security tab
Physical Interface Section
Security Mode : Must Match Primary Router and DD-wrt only works reliably with WEP or WPA2-AES
WPA Algorithms : Must Match Primary Router
WPA Shared Key : Must Match Primary Router
Key Renewal Interval (in seconds) : Leave default
Virtual Interfaces Section (note if you don't see this section your firmware should be atleast v24-sp2)
Security Mode : Must Match Physical Interface
WPA Algorithms : Must Match Physical Interface
WPA Shared Key : Must Match Physical Interface
Key Renewal Interval (in seconds) : Leave default
Save
Open the Setup -> Basic Setup tab
Connection Type will be: Disabled
Set STP for Disabled (Enabled sometimes can cause connection problems) redhawk
IP Address : 192.168.1.2 (Assuming Primary Router IP is 192.168.1.1)
Mask : 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (again assuming Primary Router IP is 192.168.1.1)
DHCP Server: Disable
Local DNS: 192.168.1.1 (if IP of Primary Router is 192.168.1.1)
Assign WAN Port to Switch : Optionally enable this to use the WAN port as another LAN port.
Save
Log back into the router at it's new IP address of http://192.168.1.2
Open Setup -> Advanced Routing tab
Set Operating mode to "Router"
Save
Open Services
Disable Dnsmasq
Save
Open the Security -> Firewall tab
Uncheck all boxes...except Filter Multicast
Disable SPI firewall
APPLY Settings
Reboot the router.
Once you have it working, go to the wireless security tab, and set the same type of security AND key for both the primary and the repeater ssids and hit apply. Avoid WPA2 Personal MIXED, as it will likely kill communication between the routers (see Security section below for more on this). WPA2 Personal is fine.
SET YOUR COMPUTER BACK TO AUTO IP AND AUTO DNS.

Thanks for the info. I'll try it out tonight.

I eventually decided to hook two routers up last night back to back - one as a wireless client to the FC40 camera and the second as the broadcasting wifi router. This worked a treat and I got great range this morning when I took it out for a test flight - at least 200m.

When I eventually get this working off one router / repeater I'll post the exact gains I achieve. To be honest, in stock form using an iPhone4 the range on FPV is almost useless - any trees or barrier f any sort and the picture drops and you have to go through several steps to get it back - so was very please today.

Never did get the repeater working properly, but with two back to back routers I am now getting a reliable, low lag, line of sight, FPV video feed at 500m. Very pleased with that.

horne47789 said:
Never did get the repeater working properly, but with two back to back routers I am now getting a reliable, low lag, line of sight, FPV video feed at 500m. Very pleased with that.

this doesnt make any sense.
If 2 routers connected to the fc40 work, then one should work just fine!

on the router with ddwrt, i recommend doing a full reset, then follow the instructions i posted above.
I you have a question on what to fill in, ask it here before you go to the next step.

in fact, i wonder if I can export my config file and send it your way (i would have to change the un and pw of the admin panel first)

dragonash - Thanks a lot ! I was missing the steps about setting it back to router mode and this sorted it out. Brilliant!

I posted a video last night if anyone is interested, and also crashed today and damaged the case :-( so all in all it's been an eventful weekend so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciDpa9m-qkA

jetdust said:
Everything is stock except for what I use to boost the wifi range from the ground. Basically using a Amped SR10000 wifi repeater, with a 16dbi antenna on the # 2 side and a Hawking directional antenna on the primary side. The Hawking directional has really helped a lot. I power the repeater from a Zippy 2200 so it's totally portable. I have to keep it line of site to go the long distances, I'm afraid to push it too far but am so tempted to. Tonight it was fairly stable when out as far as it was which was surprising.
is the hawking the big square white box? so you don't put anything on the quad itself? do you use an android device? can a monitor be used?

The big white box is the Hawking and I attach nothing extra to the phantom.. Ive gone over 1500' using this set up on multiple occasions... Make sure your camera is fully charged and use a class 10 sd card. I use an Galaxy S3 to see the FPV and have been putting my phone into airplane mode and then turn on only the wifi so the phone can dedicate itself to wifi only.

Video of my set up and if you dig around I have a longer distance flight on the page somewhere..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-yFtlMTwBo

I would like to add again, that the FC40 app only looks for the "FC40" in the name.

I have my repeater named "FC40_Repeater" and it works fine :)
no need to deal with dumb numbers ;)

Unfortunately I haven't seen anybody open one of these cameras up yet to see if it is even possible to wire up a new antenna somehow... It would be great to have the ability to wire up a 2.4g 1w or 500mw transmitter to it like what other fpv systems use..

Last night I was intently studying the photos of the fc40s cameras internals and there isnt even any kind of real antenna in it at all or just 2 circles of solder on the traces of the circuit board that act as the antenna from all can tell

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ ... -201309003 Go to the link that has some stuff DJI submitted to the FCC then on the list click on the link for internal photos. The pics on page 3 of that and page 6 show the spot I'm talking about. I would think there might be some way to solder a mini PC antenna plug to that. Then run an lead out side the case to a real antenna of some kind then use the wifi repeaters that others are using to maybe get some real range out of the camera. Which as it is even with a good repeater set up people are claiming to get about 1000 feet or so range with a repeater. It would be nice to be able to get that up some more you dont have to fly on such a short leash. Being the fc40 can fly way farther then that.

J.James said:
Unfortunately I haven't seen anybody open one of these cameras up yet to see if it is even possible to wire up a new antenna somehow... It would be great to have the ability to wire up a 2.4g 1w or 500mw transmitter to it like what other fpv systems use..

Last night I was intently studying the photos of the fc40s cameras internals and there isnt even any kind of real antenna in it at all or just 2 circles of solder on the traces of the circuit board that act as the antenna from all can tell

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ ... -201309003 Go to the link that has some stuff DJI submitted to the FCC then on the list click on the link for internal photos. The pics on page 3 of that and page 6 show the spot I'm talking about. I would think there might be some way to solder a mini PC antenna plug to that. Then run an lead out side the case to a real antenna of some kind then use the wifi repeaters that others are using to maybe get some real range out of the camera. Which as it is even with a good repeater set up people are claiming to get about 1000 feet or so range with a repeater. It would be nice to be able to get that up some more you dont have to fly on such a short leash. Being the fc40 can fly way farther then that.

I found the antenna location from the links you provided.

AnteennaLocation_zpsc4c2e80b.jpg

I ran a dipole calculator and gave a frequency of 24000 Mhz, which is 2.4 Ghz, isn't it?

It came up with a length of 1/8" for each side of the dipole.

I found the antenna location from the links you provided

Ah ha. I was looking at that lil metal tab part an wonering if it was an antenna. Then thought It might of just been some thing else. But the 2 tabs on it look to be right about were they would line up and make contact with the circle traces with the solder layer on the board. and its right by the tiny hole in the side of the bezel on the bottom were the wi-fi signal comes out threw.

last night I carefully reamed that pin hole out so its more a funnel shape now and a tiny bit bigger opening and now none of the aluminum paint blocking the signal as before and going to see if that even at all helps with getting a better reception.

Code:
I ran a dipole calculator and gave a frequency of 24000 Mhz, which is 2.4 Ghz, isn't it?

It came up with a length of 1/8" for each side of the dipole.
I think you got one extra 0 2.4 Ghz should be 2,400 Mhz
http://www.unitconversion.org/frequency ... rsion.html

Gosh I really wish my old man was still alive. He was really good with stuff like that and used to build his own cd radios and ham along with antennas and power amplifiers and other things of that nature. and my grand father on my moms side who he was friends with and how me met my mom threw the the cb radio back in the day when the CB was the internet of the day. Even built his own tv from scratch with radar and radio parts he got from work at GE (Johnny cash Cadillac style) and was the first guy in his neighborhood to even own a tv

I doubt if we could improve on their antenna..... they spent a lot of money developing and testing the camera and it's antenna....

Personally - I think the wifi fpv is nice, but not great. I use mine with a Linksys router running ddwrt and powered from a standard 12v battery. It gives up to about 400m reliably.

So rather than try to squeeze more out of the camera using wifi, I'd rather move to a proper FPV setup as one of my next purchases. Probably comes in behind the gimbal because I love the photography aspect of the FC40 more than I love the FPV.
Need to give it a month or two as the bank balance is still recovering from the unplanned purchase of this quad this month.

Decisions decisions :)

Damian.

I usually fly from the edge or end of my flying area rather than from from center. It occurred to me today that if I put my wifi repeater (powered by a battery) some distance from me, that this would extend the range even more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav