Extending the range

Reaction score
I've had the phantom 2 for about a week and I've loved it. I've installed an fpv system and that works great. Next I want to extend the range on both the fpv system as well as the phantom itself. All suggestions are appreciated

Just my opinion, others might disagree - but the best option is to sell the P2 and use the money you would have spent on upgrading the setup to purchase a P3 professional. I was at the same crossroads as you and when I did the maths and realized I could sell my P2 FPV setup for a few hundred less than the new P3 Professional was going to cost me, it was a no brainer.

I sold the P2 on ebay within 3 days, got a P3 Pro and I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am with my decision. The P3 is a whole new level of capable and the digital FPV setup shits all over the analogue P2 setup.

With full respect to your personal choice being reason enough, I am still really curious as to why you wouldn't want a Phantom 3 over a Phantom 2?

I've had the phantom 2 for about a week and I've loved it. I've installed an fpv system and that works great. Next I want to extend the range on both the fpv system as well as the phantom itself. All suggestions are appreciated

As for FPV, you might want to go for better antennas (look here fpvlr.com). I am using clover leaf for tx and 6 turn helix for rx and my fpv range is 1,200m+ with a 600mW Boscam tx.
For the radio, there's an antenna mod that you might want to like. It lets you connect directional antennas (such as half sphere helix) to the radio. With this, you can easily reach the same 1,200m.

Reactions: Duke
With full respect to your personal choice being reason enough, I am still really curious as to why you wouldn't want a Phantom 3 over a Phantom 2?
LoL really?
I too prefer the P2 (P2V+) over the P3. For lots of reasons, but here are some:
- P3 is new and buggy. First buyers are the ones that are doing the testing while their birds keep folling out of the sky. P2 is way better tested and debugged.
- P3 electronics is ALL ON THE SAME board!! You fry one little component (and you will) you have to buy an entire new board. P2: you fry an ESC you just buy an ESC.
- P3 camera is better? yes. But with a P2 and a zenmuse, you stick a Gopro on it and get a better camera. And you can upgrade your camera anytime. Not with the P3.
- P3 gets better range? P2 with an Itelite antenna boost gets way etter range than a P3.

These are some of the reasons I bought my second P2V+ instead of a P3.
Got the mod to use the gopro with the DJI app so no second FPV system needed.

Reactions: Stathis
I also agree P2 all the way I've had mine over 6 months now , over 100 flights not one glitch near miss or flyaway just great video . I get 2,200 meters with the stock Tx antenna before RTH kicks in , now im getting Tony's 2.4 helical upgrade for the Tx , already have the premium set for the FPV , it's really an amazing piece of equipment for what it is.

Fair enough :) I was asking in genuine curiosity of finding out - I hope it didn't come across arrogantly!

As for FPV, you might want to go for better antennas (look here fpvlr.com). I am using clover leaf for tx and 6 turn helix for rx and my fpv range is 1,200m+ with a 600mW Boscam tx.
For the radio, there's an antenna mod that you might want to like. It lets you connect directional antennas (such as half sphere helix) to the radio. With this, you can easily reach the same 1,200m.

Fair enough :) I was asking in genuine curiosity of finding out - I hope it didn't come across arrogantly!

Not a problem, everyone has their own opinion. I too have done the math and the P3 is cheaper in the long haul. However I too bought a second P2 with zenmuse H33D with all the FPV groceries and love it. I'm just using the circular wireless antennas and have went out over 1600M. I don't believe in flying that far out but had to try it once to test my Video. As Antares mentioned The FPVLR Antennas look like a good choice and I would like to test them sometime. I love my video but I think it could be a Tad better. Everything is different for everyone, We all don't have the same exact conditions, location, or equipment, We all don't have the same wallet, anything you do to improve your equipment will make it more dependable if by chance you fly in a higher interference area. Peace of mind is worth something, It's everyone's decision on what equipment they want and how much they want to spend $$. The main thing is to have fun flying. ;)

~Duke

Reactions: Rickaroonie
I also agree P2 all the way I've had mine over 6 months now , over 100 flights not one glitch near miss or flyaway just great video . I get 2,200 meters with the stock Tx antenna before RTH kicks in , now im getting Tony's 2.4 helical upgrade for the Tx , already have the premium set for the FPV , it's really an amazing piece of equipment for what it is.
I'm fairly new to all this and this is my first post on this forum. Hello everyone! Just curious here, I've probably not gone more the 200 meters from point of flying, so, if I just kept going until I lose connection, is it safe to assume, my phantom will go into rth automatically?

I'm fairly new to all this and this is my first post on this forum. Hello everyone! Just curious here, I've probably not gone more the 200 meters from point of flying, so, if I just kept going until I lose connection, is it safe to assume, my phantom will go into rth automatically?

Welcome to the forum Rickaroonie :) yes that is correct, It has happened to me once but it sure makes me nervous :eek: I was out flying and showing off to the wife and told her I can't see it I musta lost it, and I said screw it if wants to come home it will. I turned off the controller and laid it down in the back of the suv.... :D A couple minutes later and here it came and landed. But I gotta admit I was as nervous as a dog sh*tting peach pits! ;) I'm not going to say what she said to me. :rolleyes:

~Duke

@Michael11219 Head on over to ITELite website and they a great long range antenna for good price. Install took me all of 30mins and results blew my mind...
20150728_182813.jpeg

Reactions: danmarz and Duke
Head on over to ITELite website and they a great long range antenna for good price. Install took me all of 30mins and results blew my mind...

I saw the stuff there, but even though it says that it will work on a Phantom 2, when you go to order it, it says Phantom 2 Vision, with no mention of Phantom 2 Non-Vision. Does it work on the NV?

So this will handle everything for extending the range on the phantom 2 fpv wise right?
https://fpvlr.com/store/product/5-8ghz-premium-combo/

What would yall recommend for extending the range of the actual drone?
Thx everyone for the suggestions so far

Yep, that's what ya need for the Video, and you will also need that $77.00 Jobbie for the Controller.
See em here>>>> https://fpvlr.com/store/product-category/phantom-2-non-vision/
I'm fixin to pull the trigger on all of it myself! I'm going to call them and see what they have for the Quad receiving the 2.4 ghz signal from the transmitter.

~Duke

Last edited:
So this will handle everything for extending the range on the phantom 2 fpv wise right?
https://fpvlr.com/store/product/5-8ghz-premium-combo/

What would yall recommend for extending the range of the actual drone?
Thx everyone for the suggestions so far

Michael, I pulled the trigger on both the 5.8ghz video kit and the 2.4ghz control kit antenna. I will test these and give my report. But from what I have read all over on this and other forums the FPVLR seem to have some good products.

~Duke

Woe with that ITLite antenna & tablet moniter that setup looks like a portable ground station :) very nice setup.

Michael, I pulled the trigger on both the 5.8ghz video kit and the 2.4ghz control kit antenna. I will test these and give my report. But from what I have read all over on this and other forums the FPVLR seem to have some good products.

~Duke

Your welcome Michael, I am a little disappointed in FLPVR's service at the moment. :cool: I pulled the trigger last Thursday night and purchased the whole Fam Damily from them, and haven't heard anything so I sent them an E-Mail this morning and finally got a reply that it was going out today. Their customer service is suspect at best. You can have the best product in the world and If you don't take care of your customers you wont be there long.

Without ME and guys like ME there is no THEM! Its a pretty simple concept. :rolleyes:

~Duke

Reactions: Christy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers