extending range

Reaction score
I fly the Phantom 3 pro to do aerial photos. It is very nice to sit in the seat of the car and soak up air conditioning (and be able to see the tablet) while slaving away for the benefit of mankind. Of course I'm having some issues with range because I'm sitting inside a metal can. I found a post that told me I could put a couple of 2.4 ghz magnetic antenna's on the roof of the car and run a set of coax to the controller and end up with extended range to boot. Is there anyone out there that has tried this and that would be willing to coach me?

I've read some posts that some extenders will extend the range of the drones control but not necessarily the video range. I'll need both.

I'd sure appreciate some advice.

A good online store that I use for antenna mods has a car antenna listed in its catalog but it's currently showing as "sold out". If you send them an inquiry, they might be able to tell you when they expect to get more.

If you do pick something up - let us know how it works out for you...

ItElite Capo Car Mount

Thanks @Tenly !!

@daddywx I think I got something for ya ;) lol where are you located

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey all - I am absolutely in the same boat! Been inspired by Jeremiah Nelson's epic thread and his car setup. Kyle, was going to call you tomorrow in fact! Based on that thread, I think I'd eventually like to run two of the 9dbi 2.4 L-Coms, mag mounted so I can remove them, to two 3w Sunhans amps and finally to my RC. Thought about starting with just the antennas to spread the cost out a bit - figure they'd have to do better than the stock ones when inside my truck! Then add amps and perhaps a clean install kit. Would be very grateful for your recommendations and thoughts, Kyle! Vehicle is a 2013 Sierra. I was tempted to permanently mount one of the smaller 2.4 antennas but Jeremiah recommended the big ones to get good penetration; I'm in a very wooded area with very few open fields, so I'd be willing to go big vs. small and convenient.

Absolutely can't wait - tired of tiny range!!

5363f4ea68d260ed76ee33e48ab3cf7d.jpg

This or even the telescopic mount will get you on your way to long range from the comfort of the truck!! The capo mount is rock solid!!
The antenna to start will be great !! Then you can upgrade it with our new EvoLite kit . It's much lighter & even a bit more affordable than the old one !! PM me if you have any questions at all !!

Edit: I forgot to mention, the capo mounts are compatible with both the maxxrange and DBS-02 so if you have one already you can use it!! Otherwise you can grab one from me! And the 10ftcables come with it so you can be relaxing in your seat, listening to tunes, AC cranked .. And as far out as your battery will let you ;)

Last edited:
Does look pretty sweet, Kyle. I am interested in an omnidirectional setup so I'm not constrained by how the vehicle is parked; knowing ZERO about those panel antennas but simply guessing it looks like these would work great straight ahead...are they omni or do they tend to be more directional? And could it be used with the vehicle in motion or would it need to be stationary?

Many thanks for all the help!!

They have a fairly wide "beam" especially the maxxrange!! But they are directional. That will become more apparent as you get 1-2 miles away etc.

As far as if it can be used with the vehicle in motion, I would say yes it's def possible but not recommended for safety unless on a closed course etc. also please use common sense (which I know you will) and make sure you are not the one driving and flying !! Lol [emoji12]

Sent you a Pm !! Chat soon !!

I fly the Phantom 3 pro to do aerial photos. It is very nice to sit in the seat of the car and soak up air conditioning (and be able to see the tablet) while slaving away for the benefit of mankind. Of course I'm having some issues with range because I'm sitting inside a metal can. I found a post that told me I could put a couple of 2.4 ghz magnetic antenna's on the roof of the car and run a set of coax to the controller and end up with extended range to boot. Is there anyone out there that has tried this and that would be willing to coach me?

I've read some posts that some extenders will extend the range of the drones control but not necessarily the video range. I'll need both.

I'd sure appreciate some advice.
look at this
Compact Mobile Head ( CMH ) Pilot kit ( with RF amp Options )

I've got a related question.
I have the Maxx Itelite and today I got the 2016 3w gold Sunhans along with the Maxx amplifier mount, batteries cables, etc from the classifieds here.
I've never used amps, but have read up as much as I could find.
So I put everything together, powered the bird, the RC, and then the amps.
Here is my question - only one of my amps led lights is blue. The other is white. When I switch the amps sides (move the left amp to the right side and vice versa) the other amp is now blue. So, the right side connector on my remote always makes the amp that is hooked to it led light white. I checked and changed the cables in the remote with new ones just to be sure it wasn't a bad cable. When I flew the phantom with the amps (one blue one white) I lost video much sooner than I expected and much sooner than I do with the Maxx unboosted.
Am I missing something? Should both amps led's be blue when the amp is powered on and in use?
If they both should be blue, what would cause the video side to not be blue?
Thanks for your help and advice in advance!

MB

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is normal, the left amp (usually depending on how you wired) is boosting receive (video in). The blue light is only on when boosting out. Which is why the other side is blue (control link)

How were your results ?

Not that good. I started losing Fpv at around 9000ft. With just the Maxx in the same location I usually get to 11500 (very high wifi traffic area). Also when I came back I was losing video very close by. Like above my home point. This never happens when I am unboosted using the Maxx. Now I will say 2 things. I do not know how much charge the booster battery had. I did charge it but it is one of the blue ones. Ordered the nice one from Jake yesterday. Also I did not like how tight some of the cables were. The blue going to the RC have straight connectors on both ends and use a 90 degree adaptor on the amp. I will be replacing them this eve with cables that have the 90 degree built in..
Thanks for your insight Kyle!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Don't worry we will get this figured out. Ok, couple possible things.
1) every sma connection = a loss so those new cables will definitely help reduce loss.
2) the new battery pack has led indicator to show charge so you don't have to worry any more about that ;)
3) as far as losing connection close by, imagine it like this. If you are sitting in front of your stereo listening to music on 10% volume. It will be very clear but if you go 100ft away you won't hear it. Now if you crank the volume up to 100% it will be too loud and distorted to listen to properly up close ..but 100ft away you will be able to hear it no problem.

Same thing with the boosters / signal. It's too loud when you are close for the bird & rc to talk properly .. But as you gain distance it's normal. Mine says "poor signal" up close ;)

3) the tight cables / sharp bends in them (especially blue ones) is no good. I'm guessing it may be a bad cable.

Once you get it all hooked up pm me or email me and we will get it working beauty !!

Reactions: MasterBlaster
aed16c9385796a6384fae7553e69b318.jpg

Here's an idea what if you already own an ITElite DBS -02 mod and just buy very long coax cables and slap the antenna outside your car ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31