Extending FC40 Transmitter range?

Reaction score
I've been searching for this and all I've found is ways to extend the range of the video feed. What about the transmitter? If I can get my video feed to extend past 500m, is there a way to get my transmitter to go past this as well? I've seen people do this with "lucky" transmitter that are more powerful. Wouldn't us "regular" folks be able to do the same?

Oliver84 said:
I've been searching for this and all I've found is ways to extend the range of the video feed. What about the transmitter? If I can get my video feed to extend past 500m, is there a way to get my transmitter to go past this as well? I've seen people do this with "lucky" transmitter that are more powerful. Wouldn't us "regular" folks be able to do the same?

you can just easily swap out the antenna for a better one.
search the forum or google. There are how-to's for it

This is what I did here you can easily swap out antennas and extend the range dramtically ----------> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BfMFmR ... 4g&index=3

Oliver84 said:

Thanks! I didn't know this applied to the FC40 transmitter as well. I appreciate the help!

Yup it works well with the FC40's transmitter. I able to push out over a mile after changing the antenna.

I also did the same thing on my kindle fire and added an external antenna to it the same way and now get way further range on the fpv then any repeater can get out to. I'm getting about 500m and if I use my wifi amplifier hooked to the kindle I have gotten out as far as 800m or .5 miles.

I modded my Lenovo Android tablet just like you did, added an amplifier and a 14dbi panel antenna. It has gotten me the furthest so far. Here is the link for the antenna if you want to try it -------> http://www.amazon.com/Huhushop-TM-Anten ... B00HH3BURA

Another link cheaper I got it in 7 days from here ----------> http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4Ghz-14-dbi-A ... 4d1e97535f

J.James said:
Yup it works well with the FC40's transmitter. I able to push out over a mile after changing the antenna.

I also did the same thing on my kindle fire and added an external antenna to it the same way and now get way further range on the fpv then any repeater can get out to. I'm getting about 500m and if I use my wifi amplifier hooked to the kindle I have gotten out as far as 800m or .5 miles.

Third times a charm (I've asked in two other threads the same question): how are you guys knowing how far your fc40 is from you? I have the fc40 app, but that doesn't seem to tell me anything (just does the camera stuff).. is there a mod I need to make to my phantom to allow me to know how far away it is? Or maybe an app I'm unaware of?

is there a mod I need to make to my phantom to allow me to know how far away it is? Or maybe an app I'm unaware of?
Easiest way is by adding a flytrax which is a tiny gps data logger that records and logs all your flight data on to an sd card. Such as speed and distance and then lets you upload the files to there server were it displays it all and shows a line on Google maps. and it also gives you badges for hitting certain goals. or things like speed, distance, etc. Here are some of my flights to show an example http://www.flytrex.com/jj.james.90/

They also just came out with a flytrax live the other day and that you can see live as you are flying and can even use it to find your quad in a fly away or crash situation as it records the last known location 4 times a second and sends it out threw a cell phone date connection. Tho its $189 plus a few dollars a month for the sim card and a data plan from a cell phone service provider.

Tho before I got my flytrax to figure out my max distance was to just point my camrea straight down and record video of the flight then go and line it up the area it flew to with Google maps and calculate the distance by the distance scale and a ruler.

J.James,

Thanks for the response. Yeah, seems the only way to know exactly would be to use something like flytrex, or some are saying ground station works on fc40?? Still, either option is an additional $200+

I modded my Lenovo Android tablet just like you did, added an amplifier and a 14dbi panel antenna. It has gotten me the furthest so far. Here is the link for the antenna if you want to try it -------> http://www.amazon.com/Huhushop-TM-Anten ... B00HH3BURA

I tried a similar big panel antenna like that that was a duel band 14bi and then I tried a tiny cheapo Chinese 4x4 11 Dbi directional 5.8ghz antenna on my transmitter. That one got me out to over 1.3miles only thing that stopped me from going farther was I still had my max range in the naza still set at 2000m and could not go past that in gps mode. and didnt want to be flying that far away in atti. nore did I want to try much further then that due to battery time and not wanting to get so far away that there would not be enough juice to safely make it back. I try to use the 1/3rd rule like boating. Which is never go more then 1/3rd tank of gas away so that you should always have enough left to make it back and still have some to spare. or if the wind changes and it takes longer to get back then it did to get to were it was. tho I try to go against the wind when I can so that its easier to get back then it was going out. tho thats not always constant were I live the wind can change any second or any place along the landscape.

ut as ar as flight distance you can get even with out moding the tx antenna you can usually get way more then 500m on the stock set up if in fcc mode you should be able to get close to 800m which is even now the range DJI states in there specs. or all the models with the 5.8ghz transmitters.

Hello James what antana did you put on your TX to get that range

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20