extended landing gear

Reaction score
does the compass have to be at the same elevation from the ground as the orig. one? longer cable? Tried the search but no joy

does the compass have to be at the same elevation from the ground as the orig. one? longer cable? Tried the search but no joy

Attachments

• 511Qe6opQdL._SL500_SL135_.jpg
    511Qe6opQdL._SL500_SL135_.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 440
I don't believe that makes a difference but it needs to be positioned like on stock legs...straight ahead and I don't think it is supposed to be tilted which seems to happen when guys try to mount on extended gear because cable is not long enough to reach compass if it's down on straight part of leg. May I ask, why are you putting extended landing gear?

I concur with what Monte55 said, and asked.

The compass is not concerned with how high it is off the ground, it needs to be aligned with the NAZA module and plumb. Plumb means mounted straight up and down, NOT at an angle.

I have a gimbal and GoPro mounted on my FC40 and do not like the added weight of the "extended landing gear". My gimbal will shake and shiver if it touches ANYTHING. That's why I cut out a rectangle in a piece of 3/8" packing foam. Just put something under the gear while the Phantom is warming up. It's simple and doesn't add weight, or the time and money to do the mod. It also keeps the birds feet out of the mud. :D

I have go pro and Walkera G2D... I didn't want the extra weight/drag of bigger landing gear (which I only need at the beginning and end of each flight!) so I have a small board with two plinths fixed on it on which I place the Phantom for warm up and take off. I then either tilt the camera fully UP before landing, or hand catch.

I don't believe that makes a difference but it needs to be positioned like on stock legs...straight ahead and I don't think it is supposed to be tilted which seems to happen when guys try to mount on extended gear because cable is not long enough to reach compass if it's down on straight part of leg. May I ask, why are you putting extended landing gear?

Just added a gimbal. My flying area is very grassy. Just to see how it will work. I must! "A little O C D!"

Just added a gimbal. My flying area is very grassy. Just to see how it will work. I must! "A little O C D!"
The taller legs may be nice but they do add weight and then you have the compass issue. I know you need a little more room for the gimbal /camera to clear. Also trying to find a case to accept longer legs may be a problem. This is what I did. One inch pvc water pipe cut and split. Easy on and off. Bigger rings, more height.

Attachments

• Phanton leg extension.jpg
    Phanton leg extension.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 456
  • Phantom Gear Extension.jpg
    Phantom Gear Extension.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 668
  • Phantom feet.jpg
    Phantom feet.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 582
Reactions: IflyinWY
The taller legs may be nice but they do add weight and then you have the compass issue. I know you need a little more room for the gimbal /camera to clear. Also trying to find a case to accept longer legs may be a problem. This is what I did. One inch pvc water pipe cut and split. Easy on and off. Bigger rings, more height.

Brilliant!!

Thanks for your insight! Now give me a good reason to justify a 3 axis gimbal that will fly with my wife!

I'm not sure exactly what the advantage of a 3D gimble is. I think it leads a bit as you yaw for a smother transition but not sure .

H3-3D, for example reads yaw input from the controller through NAZA and compensates for it with the 3rd motor!

NO, the compass can be mounted on any part of vertical part of the longer landing gear. The compass MUST be mounted in the VERTICAL position. Depending the cable length, that determines the position. I installed the extended legs on my FC40 this past weekend. It took a few tries to get the compass completely vertical. No adjustments were made to the quad. I put the battery in the quad, and off it went. It appeared to hover in a tighter circle that what the flight specs called for. One meter verses 2.5 meters. It flew straight without any noticeable problems. I halted forward movement about 50 yards away from me at about 100 feet high. It stayed in that position about three minutes, then I had it return home. It appeared to land exactly where it took off from.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers