Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Extended landing gear

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by thestone11, Mar 6, 2015.

1. thestone11

I got the H3-3D gimbal on my phantom 2 V2, I noticed my GoPro is touching the ground when the gimbal is turn off, is there any products out there or mods you guys did to have a bit more clearance? I don't want a different set of landing gears, as I have a case that is customized to fit the stock style. All I need is maybe a few mm more. Thanks guys

2. Zoeconner

Got mine from ebay. Very nice

3. QYV

QYV

with the stock legs the H3-3D does indeed bang a flat surface during initialization... bad design. There are several easy ways to avoid it:
    I personally just hold the Phantom in my hand off the ground until the gimbal initializes, then set it down.
    Some people's solutions have been creating little gear extensions, like you could zip tie a few mm of balsa wood (so you aren't adding much weight) to the bottom of the legs and extend it up a few mm and it won't touch.

If those few mm are too much for your case and it wouldn't fit anymore, some folks have built little custom launch platforms with a gap there for the gimbal, but imo just holding it in your hand for 10 seconds when you power it on is easier than building some custom platform and hauling it around

4. Zoeconner

Hard to see it but heres mine. Perfect for the gopro. Just wish I could find a case to fit it in

Attached Files:

5. QYV

QYV

nice looking... but I think OP specifically said he did NOT want extended/aftermarket landing gear ;)

6. CityZen

There are spacers you can get that install between the landing gear and the chassis. You could also probably just use washers and longer screws yourself.

7. Zoeconner

Sorry I just seen that. Let me know what you find out. Im in the same boat as you

8. simonwicks

Check this thread to see what dptcalvin found and installed:
    viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34789

These extend the legs by about 2cms, enough to just give clearance.

Direct links to products too:
    Left: https://www.shapeways.com/product/HQXQK ... d=55539196
    Right: https://www.shapeways.com/product/RQD29 ... d=55539198

You might want to measure the actual height you have available, as installing anything else if it's made to measure might make it too tight to close.

I bought myself a set of these as well, waiting for them to arrive!

9. kirk2579

I had same issue after I added a cgo-1 wifi camera to my Phantom 2 v1. The antenna hangs below camera and hit hit the ground when on.
    Since It was winter and we have had snow for months now on ground I used a couple small pieces of a strong plastic type shipping foam I had around.
    Cut to about 1" x " x 6". Notched a slot in top for the landing skid and simply used a couple tie wraps to secure.
    It got the extra couple mm I need and helps keep it off snow/ wet drive. I also did to my Vision Plus since the camera and snow were awful close with regulars legs.
    10 minutes , zero cost , not pretty but it works.

Attached Files:

10. MrC

MrC

I believe this kit which is for fitting a h3-3d to an older (pre 11th march 2014) phantom 2 gives slightly longer gear - https://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/acces ... ng-adapter

It's official dji and says the landing gear which is included is slightly longer than stock but otherwise looks identical. Just disregard the mount thing. Im not sure how much longer but i reckon only 5mm or so. I've been thinking about getting them myself, could just about get away with that in my carry case.

*edit* It seems the vision+ landing gear is 3/8" longer than stock p2 non vision gear and fits. Going to try them myself.

11. p fandango

i've extended landing gear, but also lowered the gimbal as well so it touches again on long grasss

[​IMG]

12. oakspi

I just posted a similar post. From what I learned the Vision Plus gear is about 1/2 inch taller than the P2 gear and will install without modification.

13. thestone11

So 3D printer solved my problem.

[​IMG]

14. paulajayne

Take a trip to a windscreen (windshield) fitter and ask for some of the edge protector that new screens are protected with prior to fitting. They throw it away.

It can be cut and fitted / removed in seconds and should give sufficient height gain.

[​IMG]